Anyone on WeighWatchers and low carb/keto?

Options
Astharteea
Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
Just wondering if they go together.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    not even a little - WW is 100% about low fat and [editing from extremely to quite] quite low calorie to boot. Oil and water go together better.
  • Phrick
    Options
    my 300-lb mom was given a points allowance that i worked out into calories - her base was 1084 calories. At 300lb and 5'8" tall, sedentary and at the time 58 years of age. Yikes.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    Thanks @Phrick, I was just curious.
  • Phrick
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    Thanks @Phrick, I was just curious.

haha yeah I realized a little late I came across kind of strong... it boils my blood a little and I have a hard time being circumspect ;)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's crazy about the calorie level. I did WW in the past but never worked out the calories.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    @Phrick it's okay, I didn't think u came too strong.
    @macchiato I did WW in the past also, I lost 15 lbs and then I lost interest.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Ha! That's kinda genius they use the points. It takes attention off the fact that you're getting no freakin calories!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies used to be free on WW. Under the guise that nobody got fat eating just fruit and veggies.

But that just teaches people that those are 'free foods'...which is wrong. Regardless of carb content, they still have calories and may make the difference for people who work with small deficits.
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    @Phrick it's okay, I didn't think u came too strong.
    @macchiato I did WW in the past also, I lost 15 lbs and then I lost interest.
    I think that is how the franchise works. I did WW in the past and lost weight, thought I can handle this now, stopped going and yea gained back all the weight. I also noticed that I was 6lbs heavier on my first day than I weighed on my our grain scales. ( we sell animal feeds so this scale is calibrated to the oz) I didn't mind because in my first two weeks I lost 6 lbs. ( nothing on our own scale) I remember when on ww, looking at cheese like a starving dog looks at steak. lol.

• BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I tried WW and low carb and what you end up doing is low carb AND low fat, which doesn't work. I've had much better success with low carb high fat moderate protein.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    The more I hear about WW it sounds like a borderline scam based on part total ignorance of human metabolism and blind belief in official recommendations. This proprietary points system is like tricking people into Pavlovian mind games. That Oprah bought into this is a true shame. I really thought she was smarter than that.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @carimiller7391 is doing the newest version of WW Points WITH lowER carbing. She's not active much on here, but she is active on the WW boards. She found a way to swap some value within her points calculations to make it work for lower carbing. I'm sure if anyone sent her a PM, she'd be happy to explain.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There used to be a simply filling option. I am not sure if they still have it. As long as you ate what was on the approved list it was okay and pretty much what is promoted in this LCHF diet plan, whole foods, non processed, non refined foods is in the approved list. You eat as much as you want until satisfied within reason. They used to give an extra 25 points to eat whatever for the week, but if they still have the simply filing option I would ignore the extra points. This was years ago and I lost quite a bit of weight from the simply filling plan. I used that plan because I was always "HANGRY" on the points. There are carbs like sweet potatoes, quinoa, barley, oatmeal, nuts, etc... that are on the approved list. You can ignore those depending on your carb level. The only negative I would say is that WW promote the traditional view of low fat. So on the approved list they limit the amount of fats you should have as well as directing people to leaner proteins and limiting the intake of higher fatty proteins.

I went on WW a few times after the first time, more for tracking. I find MFP easier for tLCHF, because I want to concentrate more on my macros and carb, fat, protein percentages. I also find more encouragement and information in this forum then in the WW meetings. After a while I stopped going to the meetings it just sounded repetitive.

Here is a link to the simply filing list of foods. http://www.weightwatchers.com/images/1033/dynamic/GCMSImages/FillingFoodList_US.pdf
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    That Oprah bought into this is a true shame. I really thought she was smarter than that.

She's very smart and it will probably end up being a good investment. She knows the yo-yo diets will continue, might as well make some money. Kinda like Planet Fitness with their free pizza and bagels.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    LCHF you can do yourself with a grocery list and recording what you are eating. Any money towards WW would be better put towards a gym membership or a vacation plan when you reach goal.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I did ww in the past at the time veggies were free points and fruits about 1point. I did lose weight. Did not gained it back when i stopped following it but the only reason I liked it is that at the time their point systems was teaching me to stay away from a donut or chips and junk food in general and encouraging me to eat healthier options. It helped me refocus on real food. I don't believe it would compatible with lchf or keto since the more fat you have in food the more point it is. Lchf/keto can be done free on your own and you can get the support right here! And it does focus on real food