Celiac vs Gluten Free

Options
TaraTall
TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
Just a conversation option here - no panties in knots please...

If you're not DIAGNOSED celiac but practice gluten free for whatever reason, what do you say when people ask?
I'm 'lucky' enough to have had an official diagnosis but when I talk to non GFers, they are so quick to be okay with me being GF but not the 'Fad' people. So how do you cope with that?

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I'm not celiac but I am allergic to wheat. I decided it was just easier to cut gluten out entirely (how do you separate the wheat gluten from the other sources gluten anyway???).

When I tell people I'm gluten-free they always presume I'm celiac. When I explain I'm allergic they just seem confused.

I think it's ridiculous to judge those who are gluten free by choice. I am glad that gluten-free became a fad. Because it became a fad more and more gluten-free products showed up on the market. Without them the gluten-free market would still be niche and I would still have fewer 'fast' food options. So YAY to the fadders! I appreciate you!

People make all kinds of dietary choices that maybe I wouldn't make. If I mock or sneer at them for it that would just be silly.

:)

• larissamalcolm
    larissamalcolm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not gluten free right now. I have a gastroenterologist appointment in February. If I have an actual diagnosable condition or not I am definitely going gluten free. I know I feel so much better without it. I know because I was on a ketogenic diet and when I reintroduced gluten containing food I felt like I felt for years before I went on the diet so whether there is something a doctor can find or not I know how much better I feel.

When I was on the ketogenic diet I ate at restaurants all the time and I don't remember anyone asking for details when I ordered food without bread. I usually explained I was on a specific diet. If I don't get a diagnosis and someone asks why I don't want gluten I will provably just tell them I feel a lot better without it. People are too judgmental about others lifestyle and health choices and if they want to think I am some weird fad person then they can. Probably won't be the worst thing they think about me.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I just say I have to be gluten free for medical reasons. If they 'need' more I tell them, "I will be very ill for a long time from just a bit of gluten and I can't take that chance."
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't stand the fad gfers. They make others think that they don't have to be safe with my food because they see it as a choice. Yep. A choice to not damage my body. And you can separate what from other glutens from wheat. It's barley and rye. Different. Lol
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    Options
    I haven't a clue whether I'm coeliac or just allergic. When I saw a gastroenterologist to get tested, he explained that I had to go back on gluten for 6 weeks before testing. I tried, but after 3 days of not being able to leave the vicinity of the bathroom, I gave up and decided I could live with not knowing, so long as I could stay well away from gluten!
  • jennyblacker
    jennyblacker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had my blood tests/endoscope yesterday and I dreading both being told that I'm coeliac, and that I'm not

Obviously I'd prefer if it were 'just' severely gluten intolerant, any gluttonings will 'just' effect my body for a few days/a week, and not long term

But, I suspect I'll keep saying I'm coeliac to people not close to me, there's been so much crap about how NCGI doesn't exist, and having just spent the past month in pain/asleep for the gluten challenge, I know it certainly does! But that's not a fight I want to have with a random waiter/ess about how careful they have to be with cross contamination...

I hate having to deal with food outside the house as it is, without having to then argue that it really IS a medical issue :-/
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @jennyblacker - you might want to read through the Medscape threads I download in this Group, and get your own physician up to speed on NCGI as it is acknowledged by the scientific community. If something makes you sick, it isn't good for you, whether you are coeliac or NCGI. It affects quality of life, and your health. Good luck. Don't argue, just walk away. ;)
  • jennyblacker
    jennyblacker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh, my medical team aren't the ones I'm arguing with over it, you've mis-read my comment

I meant wait staff, I don't want an argument when they're in control of if my food is contaminated or not
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Ohhhh, @jennyblacker , I see what you mean now... BTW, newest Medscape article I just got in my inbox is the argument about what to call NCGS. They are wanting to change the name to wheat intolerance syndrome since 'sensitivity' actually has specific medical meaning. If waitstaff argues or even asks somewhat rudely what's involved, I leave the restaurant and go elsewhere, and post a review on Travelzoo about the attitude toward serious health concerns.
    Our health is definitely not worth it.
    I'll post a bit of the new article in the other Medscape Gluten Free/Celiac thread in this group.
  • amyrbeek
    amyrbeek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tend to just say I'm celiac so that I don't have to explain all the symptoms and so people will take me at my word. However, if they ask more about it I tell them I have all the symptoms of celiac, but I am not willing to go back on gluten just to get tested. I feel like nothing in my life would change if I got tested for it!
  • tvl0308
    tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I had my blood tested and it came back as having Celiac Desease. I have been Celiac for 7 years now. When i first started out with this it was hard and it was hard for people to understand that if they put a bun on my hamburger i couldn't eat it, they would just say just take the bread off. I have to say it really irritated me. It just seemed like back then people really didn't care to learn about it. A lot of the time people would say what is that, so then i would have to explain it too them. At first I was very overwhelmed with it, but now there are so many stuff out there that you can eat. I stay away from the sweets and some what the bread. Since i have been Celiac i have struggled with weight loss, has anyone else had that problem? I am always looking for Celiac friends so if any would like to become friends that would be great!
  • ladiandi
    ladiandi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    penrbrown wrote: »
    I'm not celiac but I am allergic to wheat. I decided it was just easier to cut gluten out entirely (how do you separate the wheat gluten from the other sources gluten anyway???).

When I tell people I'm gluten-free they always presume I'm celiac. When I explain I'm allergic they just seem confused.

I think it's ridiculous to judge those who are gluten free by choice. I am glad that gluten-free became a fad. Because it became a fad more and more gluten-free products showed up on the market. Without them the gluten-free market would still be niche and I would still have fewer 'fast' food options. So YAY to the fadders! I appreciate you!

People make all kinds of dietary choices that maybe I wouldn't make. If I mock or sneer at them for it that would just be silly.

:)

[/quote

The same thing happens to me! People look at me like I have three heads when I tell them I am allergic to wheat. I love that the fad has created more options for me :smiley:
  • rosewatershay
    rosewatershay Posts: 39 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have been eating gluten free for some years now. I've been tested for celiac disease but my test came back negative (this was after I had been eating gluten free). I'm officially diagnose with being allergic to wheat (Epi-pen level) and oat (benadryl level). I just avoid barley and rye and I don't have a interest in trying them separately to see if I react. So its easier for me to eat gluten free. When people ask me I just usually say I'm allergic to wheat and I think sometimes they assume celiac. For the last year or so I have suspected I have another intolerance because of digestive issues. People who are eating this way because of a fad I believe helped open the door for awareness of celiac disease and gluten allergy, so if that's how they choose to eat then that's fine with me. The food industry tends to follow the trends. :)
  • mywindingroad
    mywindingroad Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it maters if you have a wheat allergy, gluten insensitivity or have celiac disease or just want to be gluten free. Those that what to compare symptoms or judge because they have x and you only have y should just be ignored.

If only we all listened to our bodies better none of us would be My Fitness Pal members.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @mywindingroad : you are right that it doesn't really matter what the base reason is behind one's GF lifestyle - it's the same solution to our health problem for all of us ;) .
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    More people understand coeliac than wheat allergy so I always tell people I'm coeliac if I'm eating out. It reduces my options but is safer than risking being made ill.
    We have a greater choice in the supermarkets for gluten free items and they are edible now (which they weren't for the longest time) and I don't care if that was brought about by 'fad dieters' because I benefit regardless.
  • karenmorgan946517
    karenmorgan946517 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just say I gluten free for medical reasons, if I get the eye I say I was in bed for a year, needed 15 hours of sleep a day. If I get the eye again I point to my thyroid removal scar. And say it cost met thyroid and my gallbladder. Most people are impressed that I figured out how to get my butt
    Out of bed and be active I stay out of the fad debate. I figure that's a few people accidentally getting healthier. Lol
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating wheat back in 1998, because I figured out that pizza and bagels gave me belly pain, the pregger-bloat, and a few other charming symptoms. GF and Celiac weren't really mainstream back then. I didn't get scoped until 2009 or so. One of the two blood tests came back positive, but I've heard mixed things about the accuracy of the blood tests. By the time I got scoped, I can only assume that my gut healed, which is why they didn't see anything. My two options were to continue doing what I was doing, or to eat wheat for an entire month, anger the belly gods, and get checked again. That being said, I opted not to get tested again.

When people ask me, my response depends on the setting. For some people, I just tell them I'm low-carb. For others, I pretty much repeat the above. I try not to make my dietary issues other people's issue and try to be discreet about it. If I'm going to someone's house, I'll offer to bring something (that I know I can eat) or I'll eat beforehand. I'm actually glad GF dieting has become mainstream. "Back when I first stopped eating wheat..." the options were TERRIBLE. Dry. Crumbly. Bland. Gross. Today? OMG. I cried the first time that I had a piece of birthday cake that I could actually eat.

Since awareness has grown, I've learned that around this time of year, a lot of stuff for Passover is "non-gebroktz," which often times also means gluten-free, by the very nature of it. (Not always, so check your labels...) I personally don't celebrate the holiday, but I do reap the benefits, including 7 layer cakes and cookies that I can buy in bulk and freeze. No one questions my cookies if they look like "normal" cookies.
  • Anne_Nic
    Anne_Nic Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to give out lots of information about my diagnosis when telling someone I can't have gluten. I have been asked before if it is due to a medical condition or just preference at some restaurants. When I state it is due to a medical condition, they assured me precautions would be taken to avoid cross contamination.

I personally don't have any issue with people who make the choice to be gluten free. I will happily share recipes and tips with them.

I do have a problem with those who make such a big deal about choosing to eat gluten free while out to eat and then end up eating something later with gluten just because it tastes good.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I had the blood test but not the endoscopy. In the end I decided that just knowing that I suffer by eating gluten is enough for me.