Restricted to chicken, pork, and turkey

Options
MariRaina
MariRaina Posts: 11 Member
My dr restricted me to chicken, pork, and turkey back in January. So by this time, we're running into the "same ole, same ole" problem. I don't want to get our suppers into a rut and am looking for recipe ideas. I need low sodium, low fat recipes. Can anyone help me out?

Replies

• brrrimcold1984
    brrrimcold1984 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Only three meats? What's the reason for that?
  • MariRaina
    MariRaina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For one, I'm literally deathly allergic to fish, seafood, and shellfish. For two, beef isn't really all that healthy for you, not like chicken, pork, and turkey.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Beef can be healthy for plenty of Ppl in moderation. I eat it plenty because of my anemia.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    MariRaina wrote: »
    For one, I'm literally deathly allergic to fish, seafood, and shellfish. For two, beef isn't really all that healthy for you, not like chicken, pork, and turkey.

Beef is plenty healthy for you, unless you suffer from iron overload or somesuch. If you keep your choices to leaner cuts and eat it in moderation, there's no reason that you can't include it in your diet.
  • Jamesjr54
    Jamesjr54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi - Here's a Chicken Curry Soup recipe:

Notes: I use homemade no-salt chicken broth. Any old salt free or low sodium broth will do. Progresso makes a nice salt-feee chicken stock. Sweet potato is optional. I measure my spices in a separate little bowl and add them in all at once.

The flour is a thickener. mix with a little of the broth to make a paste and use it as much or as little to reach desired consistency.

Makes 8 servings

2 lb(s), Chicken, thigh or breast meat - doesn't matter
    8 cup homemade salt-free Chicken Stock
    1 TBSP olive oil
    3 medium, Carrots, raw
    1 medium Peppers, sweet, red, raw
    3 cloves garlic
    2 tbsp(s), Wheat flour, whole-grain
    2 tbsp, Spices, curry powder
    1 tbsp(s), Lawry Salt Free Seasoning
    0.25 tsp, Salt, table
    0.50 tsp(s), Spices, pepper, black
    0.25 tsp(s), Coriander (cilantro) leaves, raw
    0.25 tbsp, ground, Spices, cardamom
    2 tsp(s), Spices, garlic powder
    1 cup, cubes, Sweet potato, raw, unprepared
    8 Oz, Onion Red or yellow Sliced

In a large pot or dutch oven:
    1. Sauté pepper, onion, carrot and garlic (and sweet potato if using) 8 minutes or so until tender. Remove from pot.
    2. Sauté chicken (cut into bite sized pieces) until browned, about 10 minutes
    3. Stir in spices and cook for about 3-4 minutes
    4. Stir in vegetables.
    5. Add in stock, bring to a boil, and boil for about 10 minutes
    6. Turn down to simmer and use the flour past to thicken to desired consistency.
    7. Simmer for about 30 minutes to let flavors meld.

Serve with fat-free sour cream.

The stats: Servings: 8
    Amount Per Serving — Calories 269; Total Fat 11 g; Saturated Fat 3 g; Monounsaturated Fat 4 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g; Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 151 mg; Sodium 863 mg; Potassium 532 mg; Total Carbohydrate 12 g; Dietary Fiber 3 g; Sugars 4 g; Protein 30 g; Vitamin A 134 DV%; Vitamin C 36%; Calcium 6%; Iron 13 %
  • brrrimcold1984
    brrrimcold1984 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There are alternative meats also, bison is a red meat, but much lower in fat than beef. Kangaroo too. Theres a plethora of game meats, you just need to google a local butcher.
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    check the chicken recipes topic - lots of ideas there!