Why add fat to coffee?

Options
madkcole
madkcole Posts: 110 Member
Been noticing comments about adding coconut oil or butter to beverages like coffee or hot tea. Is this just a way to meet your fat goal for the day or is there some other benefit I'm missing out on?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Some people do it as an IF strategy, as the fat will sate their appetite without increasing insulin.

Some do it to help add more fat to their diet.

Some do it because it is tasty.

If you try it, and enjoy it, then have at it. If you don't find it appealing, then you can safely skip it.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Right now I am drinking only black coffee, but usually I like to add hwc to mine. Never done butter but tried coconut oil. It was okay but not fantastic. Found better ways to get fat (meat!)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Right now I am drinking only black coffee, but usually I like to add hwc to mine. Never done butter but tried coconut oil. It was okay but not fantastic. Found better ways to get fat (meat!)

Butter's not much different than HWC, really, just richer. I'm not a fan of the coconut oil and coffee combination, either. I do like butter in it, though.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Butter's not much different than HWC, really, just richer. I'm not a fan of the coconut oil and coffee combination, either. I do like butter in it, though.

Hwc blends in so nicely without even any stirring, I just feel like butter would give me that oil slick deal.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It helps me to feel full all morning, also I love coconut and blended all together it's really creamy and decadent. I don't always do butter though. Some mornings I just do hwc or all depends on my mood.
  • Treysar
    Treysar Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What is hwc?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Treysar wrote: »
    What is hwc?

Heavy whipping cream
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Mmm I love my HWC.
    I like BPC too but HWC is nice when i don't want to have to deal with a blender.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Hwc is heavy whipping cream. Believe me, I was like "butter..? In coffee..?" But it is so good! I put a tablespoon of coconut oil and a tablespoon of kerrygold butter in my coffee (grassfed butter tastes soooo much better than regular butter btw). I used to drink heavy cream in my coffee in the mornings but I've noticed it makes me hungry. With the butter and coconut oil concoction, I can safely skip lunch and not bite anyone's head off.
    Idk if it's placebo effect, but I also feel like I have more of an energy boost with the butter and coconut oil than with regular coffee.
    If you decide to try it, make sure you blend everything together or else you'll have a LOT of separation and it won't taste good. I blend it with my ninja or I use a shaker bottle.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, coffee with hwc every morning, and I'm not hungry until after lunch time! YMMV (your mileage may vary) :smiley:
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Love bullet proof coffee!! I drink it as my noon meal at work because I rarely have time to actually sit down and eat. The weekends I do hwc in my coffee as a change and usually with breakfast or mid morning.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've begun adding .5 tsp of coconut oil to the cream in my coffee. I like the mild coconut flavor. I guess I'm noticing a decrease in hunger cause I'm having a harder time meeting calorie goals , although exceeding my fat goal. Generally the carbs are in the 50 to 70 range.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm terrible at breakfast - feel nauseous no matter HOW hard i've tried.. for me coffee with cream is cosy, tasty, and ups my fat intake as I definitely wouldn't be very good at reaching it without!! Perfect brekkie for me, I have 2!
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That clears up the mystery. Thanks everyone. I'm currently adding full fat cream to my coffee but I'm curious about the butter now. May give it a try.
  • mao1962
    mao1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I add refined coconut oil to my coffee, as I do not like the taste of coconut in my coffee. I agree that Kerrygold butter tastes so much better than regular butter. I also add HWC sometimes, depends.
  • mao1962
    mao1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Also, I like the brain boost I get from the coconut oil.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I add coconut oil and butter to a glass of bullion. It gives me my fat and some salt, both macros that I tend to be low on. It keeps me full for hours!

But like the poster above said, make sure you blend it, don't just stir. I did the stir thing the first time and it was aweful. I read on these boards to blend it, figured I give it another try and it is an amazing difference!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I add MCT oil because I use it as a supplement to treat ADHD, but also because it helps me feel satisfied well into the afternoon. I'm up at 6am, have 1 cup of coffee with 1Tbs MCT and 1Tbs butter and I often have a second cup (but not always) with 1Tbs coconut oil only and I don't need to eat a meal until 2 or 3pm.
    When I do eat, I'm not starving. It's totally controlled, not ravenous hunger. I eat dinner about 6:30 or 7 and don't typically have anything after that.
    Today I worked away from home and didn't have time to prepare anything to take with me. So I ate my first food of the day about 4:30 and it wasn't a struggle at all to wait til then.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've tried mct oil instead of coconut oil in my coffee... I kid you not, I felt like I was going to die. If you want to try mct oil, you need to build your tolerance up before you get to 1 tablespoon. Maybe I received a bad batch? But every time I tried to take it, I never liked how my body reacted to it. Coconut oil works for me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I've tried mct oil instead of coconut oil in my coffee... I kid you not, I felt like I was going to die. If you want to try mct oil, you need to build your tolerance up before you get to 1 tablespoon. Maybe I received a bad batch? But every time I tried to take it, I never liked how my body reacted to it. Coconut oil works for me.

Same here. I forced myself to finish off the quart I purchased. I can do massive amounts of coconut oil (62% MCT) but the straight MCT just felt very wrong in my body.