April Presses bring May Dresses

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ninenines wrote: »
    I'm positive my glutes are firing when I'm doing Hip Thrusts because they actually feel like they are on fire.

heh.

i did dl/press/bench yesterday and have dl and press with trainer again tomorrow. so today was jsut a drop-in day at the gym where i spent some time working on squats. super-distracted because i really kind of need a job now and there's a phone screen tomorrow for one that i actually want.

but in spite of all that, i did half an hour or so of stretching first and when i eventually got around to them they went better than i'd expected they would. for right now with squats i'm going to keep to the sl rep scheme. so it ended up being 5x45/45/50 for warmup, and then 5x5 with 55 pounds. my legs could have done a whole huge amount more, by the way they're feeling. but i was holding myself to certain personal cues i'm trying to use for my back so i really just had the bar for the sake of giving myself that upper-body positioning work.

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    **sneaks in to see how far behind she's fallen**

Hello!!

**sneaks back out again**
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    **sneaks in to see how far behind she's fallen**

Hello!!

**sneaks back out again**
    Hello! You've been missed! What's going on with you?
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've hurt my hip but I don't know what it is. I did work through it for a while, as you do, but it got so bad I couldn't walk. I've had an x-ray today as rest hasn't cured it but I'm not sure it will find the problem.

So, enforced rest really which sucks. It also coincided with hubby's 50th birthday which seemed to involve an awful lot of social celebration!! The combination meant I was feeling fat and unfit and generally meh!! Poor diet and no exercise is not good.

I went to the gym this morning.... Just upper body work, but it's a start and nice to be back. Truth is, I bought a full length gold dress for a ball in June.... And I don't want to look hideous in it!! Yes, i am that shallow!
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @idlecrush Hi! And welcome! Good to see some other relative newbies :)

Yesterday I ran 3.5 miles, a lot faster than I typically would. I think weight loss paired with SL is making me significantly better at running already!

Today was stronglifts, finishing out Week 2.
    Squats: 5x5 @ 70lb (ummm, are anyone's quads NOT always tired?)
    OHP: 2/5/4/5/4 @ 45lb. This was my third fail on this but I did a lot more total reps than on Monday (20 vs. 13). The app says to deload, but this is the empty bar. I think I can just keep working 45 as long as I'm increasing the number of total reps, right? Stretching between sets helped me a lot today. I'm tight in my shoulders due to a broken collarbone 7 months ago so I think I just need to stretch each shoulder a lot going forward.
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 110lb

Excited for a mostly rest day tomorrow. Might go climbing at the gym since it's supposed to rain. Then maybe skiing on Sunday since it's supposed to snow in the mountains (and a little bit here--yuck!).
  • klelk2
    klelk2 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's Lifts

4/14
    StrongLifts 5X5

Squat: 5X5 105 lb.
    Bench: 5X5 85 lb.
    Row: 5X5 65 lb.

I'm doing great with all the lifts so far, but I'm also doing Zombies 5K training alongside it. Does anyone else run while doing StrongLifts and will it effect my lifts? I usually do them both on the same day, but could do them different days if I need to.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    klelk2 wrote: »
    Yesterday's Lifts

4/14
    StrongLifts 5X5

Squat: 5X5 105 lb.
    Bench: 5X5 85 lb.
    Row: 5X5 65 lb.

I'm doing great with all the lifts so far, but I'm also doing Zombies 5K training alongside it. Does anyone else run while doing StrongLifts and will it effect my lifts? I usually do them both on the same day, but could do them different days if I need to.

I typically lift MWF, and cardio Thursday and sometimes Saturday. I usually run about 5K.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    I've hurt my hip but I don't know what it is. I did work through it for a while, as you do, but it got so bad I couldn't walk. I've had an x-ray today as rest hasn't cured it but I'm not sure it will find the problem.

So, enforced rest really which sucks. It also coincided with hubby's 50th birthday which seemed to involve an awful lot of social celebration!! The combination meant I was feeling fat and unfit and generally meh!! Poor diet and no exercise is not good.

I went to the gym this morning.... Just upper body work, but it's a start and nice to be back. Truth is, I bought a full length gold dress for a ball in June.... And I don't want to look hideous in it!! Yes, i am that shallow!

Oh man, sorry you've been having such a hard time. I hope things start to pick up! Xx
  • canadianlbs
    edited April 2016
    Options
    confusion on mr t day. he forgot i'm all into wendler right now, so he wrote me up wrong. result was i did more than i needed to before we caught on, so getting 3 reps at 57.5 on the amrap set makes me pretty confident that i'm probably back up around 60 for working weight on the overhead press.

deadlift was easy-peasy as well. mostly because i misunderstood this whole week-three stuff, and i've already done three separate amrap sets at the working weights, back on wednesday when i had my 'good' day. just doing 5x100 and 3x115 and then needing only a single at 130 to make the grade was nothing. so i did 5 or 6 at the highest weight and feel pretty sure i'm back up to being able to pull my own body weight at 135 if needs be.

rows 3x8@70, focusing more on speed than weight since mr t likes rows to be done for 'explosiveness' and i can't complain about that.

so i feel great, and as far as the bench pressing goes, only being able to amrap 6 at 75 on wednesday feels pretty positive . . . now that i realise i wasn't supposed to do 6 or 7 or 8 reps in the two previous sets with the lighter weights. i feel like 80 pound bench wouldn't be out of my reach anymore.

but i don't have to test that idea atm, because starting tomorrow . . . deload week is here !!!! \o/
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nice work everyone.

Quick update from me. Made weigh in this morning, which was better than waiting until 5 pm. I came in at 129.8, so below the 132 max I needed. Woot. Lifting will be tomorrow and will update hopefully tomorrow night on how it all goes.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Good luck @DawnEmbers !
  • klelk2
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Nice work everyone.

Quick update from me. Made weigh in this morning, which was better than waiting until 5 pm. I came in at 129.8, so below the 132 max I needed. Woot. Lifting will be tomorrow and will update hopefully tomorrow night on how it all goes.

Great job! Good Luck tomorrow!
  • canadianlbs
    edited April 2016
    Options
    took nap. spent half the day prior to nap gloating about teh fact it's deload week and if/when i go lift i'd be lifting nothing at all. so i did that for a while, just reading my spreadsheet . . . and then i went and lay down.

went to gym afterwards. eh, somehow i did pretty much all of them. dl 50/60/70, ohp 45/45/45/30 (did the warmup after the lifts somehow :P). bench press i did one-armed with dumbbells because bro invasion. i went through 10/15/17.5/ 20 . . . and let me tell you, those dumbbells were HARD. so i think/guess i may have a plan for making super-low upper body lifts interesting during deload week: keep the prescribed weights and use the dumbbells.

squats are outside the wendler pattern for me. i alternate sets of front/back squats, and i guess my work sets could be recorded as 50/55/65, and it seemed like it went pretty fine. i did a high-bar set in there somewhere, kind of by accident (kind of somehow forgot to let go of the bar and move my thumbs up on top of it). my plan here is to squat every workout this week, at least until i get a sense what my current realistic 5-rep max is. i don't think it'll be a mistake, because i'm basically starting squats from square one. it's not like i already did them through a 3-week loading cycle like the other lifts, so they don't really need a deload. i'll take it at a moderate challenge level so as not to get myself too far out of sync.

then i'll check in with mr t on friday to see what he thinks my training weight ought to be, and meld it into the new cycle, which ought to start the next day.

PIZZA is on the counter. for dinner. PIZZA PIZZA.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    ^^^ deadlifts were 50/70/90 actually. just sayin'. the first weight was so low i used it for my two warmup sets too.

and weight on gym scale was 135.something.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    No weights this weekend, just cycling training - we went away for the weekend with my sister and her partner. Good fun, lots of hills and lots of beer.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I dead lifted my own body weight for the first time :) So happy!!!

Yesterdays workout:
    Squats 5x5@95lb
    OHP: 5x5@50lb
    DL: 1x5@135lb (and 45lb weights on each side, another milestone!)

Can't wait for tomorrow's workout.
  • klelk2
    edited April 2016
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Yesterdays workout:
    Squats 5x5@95lb
    OHP: 5x5@50lb

Can't wait for tomorrow's workout.

Woohoo!!! Awesome job!!!
  • klelk2
    Options
    4/17
    StrongLifts 5X5

Squat: 5X5 110 lb.
    OH Press: 5X5 75 lb.
    Deadlift: 1X5 165 lb.

And Zombies 5K Week 3, Day 3

I feel like my form isn't great on the deadlifts. I'm going to have to watch some videos and practice on an empty bar before I do them again.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    klelk2 wrote: »
    4/17
    StrongLifts 5X5

Squat: 5X5 110 lb.
    OH Press: 5X5 75 lb.
    Deadlift: 1X5 165 lb.

And Zombies 5K Week 3, Day 3

I feel like my form isn't great on the deadlifts. I'm going to have to watch some videos and practice on an empty bar before I do them again.

I found using the over under hand grip exceptionally helpful in my deadlifts. not sure if you already do that, but i recommend!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

yay! that really does feel good.

i did a real wendler-style deloaded workout this time, that is if you accept my squats are accessories atm. at bat was bench press.

my bench 45/45/50 since there is no bar at this gym for the 35 or whatever the first set was actually meant to be. doing bench press with such negligible weight felt so good. it really gave me an unimpeded sense of my form.

squats were 5x5@65 again. like yesterday, but i started with the 45lb bar and alternated front/back squats for warmups all the way up to 60 in 5-lb jumps, so i feel as if i was doing some work. it was a good day. i didn't even do any other lifting aside from the standard band pulls to keep my shoulders healthy.

and that felt good too. i'm pretty happy atm with my spending of money on those squat shoes.