April Presses bring May Dresses

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Ended up placing second in the open division for the 132 weight class. This meet was also a qualifier for a "world" meet that is held in the same location in October.

wow. this is AMAZING. way to go and sorry i missed the chance to wish you luck with it. it kind of snuck up on me.

congratulations.

• sherocks98
    sherocks98 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Did my lifts todAy...
    SL 5x5
    Squats - 5x5 85lbs, deloaded a little to improve my form.
    Ohp- 3/3/3/5/5- 55lbs, better this time!
    DL- 1x5/ 115lbs - no problem there.

Having trouble with tight quads, and with depth. May need to stretch more, i think. Any advice is welcome. I do warm up with a 30 min walk on treadmill.

Keep it going everyone :)
  • sherocks98
    sherocks98 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @DawnEmbers - Congrats on your successful meet. Nice achievement.
    @ canadianlbs- i always learn something from your posts. I can feel your pain with correct squat form. Hope we can fix it soon. Lets keep trying.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @VeryKatie congrats on a bodyweight deadlift! It's a very awesome milestone.

@DawnEmbers it sounds like a successful first meet with a lot of positives and some new goals to work towards.

Stronglifts A yesterday
    SQ: 3x5 at 35kg
    BP: 5,5,4,3,2 at 35kg. Had to roll of shame out of the last two sets!
    BR: 5,5,5,4,5 at 38kg. Almost! Struggling to get the bar all the way to my chest on the last few reps.

And Stronglifts B today
    SQ: 3x5 at 35kg
    OHP: 5x5 at 24.5kg. Wasn't feeling confident about this one, but got there.
    HT: 5x5 at 32.5kg.
    DL: 1x5 at 60kg, 70kg, 80kg. Woop! I'd gotten up to 80kg back in December, but only managed a few reps before I had some back issues. Have very slowly worked my way back here, so was good to crack it.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Wow, @DawnEmbers - that's so great! I had been thinking about you and hoping it was going well, and then you go and come in second! Wow. You must feel great right now.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Congrats @DawnEmbers !

Not much lifting to report. I had a 2 day derby boot camp this weekend, so I was very active, but not lifting much. The boot camp did have a gym component which went over basic lifts, which was ok, but not overly challenging. I did get a couple tips on my OHP form though, which I hope will help me with that lift. The trainer was big on push press. She feels that the explosivity of the push press translates over better to the sport, but I don't know if I can do that! Strict press is so drilled in my by now. It just feels like cheating :P I did get to push press 65 lbs using bumper plates though, so it looked very impressive. Much more so than my little 5 lb steel plates.

Overall, I came out of the weekend bruised, aching all over, with a bit of whiplash, but very glad I went.

Oh! And I climbed a rope! That was cool.
  • klelk2
    klelk2 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Amazing job, @DawnEmbers !! The meet sounded like a lot of fun!! Congratulations on placing second and qualifying for the world meet!! Very exciting!
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Nice job @DawnEmbers! That's amazing you qualified for Worlds! That is a whole lot of weight!
    @VeryKatie awesome on the bodyweight deadlift! I'm looking forward to that milestone.
    @sherocks98 I found this morning that I helped myself a lot by stretching, and also doing a couple practice sets of squats with the empty bar. My quads were feeling tight too. I'm no expert though so hopefully someone else can help you out!

Weekend was terrible awful weather but my fiance talked me into a 13-mile bike ride last night so it was better than the nothing I felt like doing.

This morning SL workout A
    Squats: 5x5 @ 75lb
    Bench: 5x5 @ 55lb (getting tough!)
    Row: 5x5 @ 70lb Re-reading form advice helped me on this and knowing what a complete rep is (hitting torso with bar). Felt best on this I have so far. Will increase by 2.5lb for Friday

Good way to start the work week even though a little more sleep would have been nice.

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    So, for the first time in a while I missed some lifts. We went out of town and my regularly scheduled Saturday lift was not a possibility. Friday I cleaned in high speed for 4 hours so that we'd come back to a clean house - Saturday we golfed for 3 hours and played some ping pong. Yesterday just headed home and went grocery shopping. Tomorrow I'm back on lifts, I think I feel ok about missing one session, so that's good!
  • idlecrush
    idlecrush Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This past Saturday was my B day.

Squats: 5x5 @ 50lbs
    OHP: 5x5 @ 45lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 95

The overhead press was the hardest. I almost added more sets for the deadlift but I wasn't sure if that would be good for me or not.

Today is back to A. I logged a weight loss for the week for the first time in a while so eating mostly paleo and lifting must be agreeing with me.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    idlecrush wrote: »
    The overhead press was the hardest.

45 pound ohp is really impressive for someone who's just starting out. it took me forever to get mine up there. nice work.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    The trainer was big on push press. She feels that the explosivity of the push press translates over better to the sport, but I don't know if I can do that! Strict press is so drilled in my by now. It just feels like cheating :P I did get to push press 65 lbs using bumper plates though, so it looked very impressive. Much more so than my little 5 lb steel plates.

Interesting! I often think about how Stronglifts fits in with my sports (netball, basketball). I agree about explosiveness being important and I would like to include some Olympic lifts in my training at some stage. However I have taken the view that I need to build up my general strength base first. I'm looking out for a program to progress to from Stronglifts that includes some of that.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i did negative pullups on the bars in the kids' school playground.

five of them and then i lost my nerve. all those little round eyes, silently Looking at me.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!
    Even though the month is half over - I want to share my results with this group.

I've been reading everyone's results and progress and it's been very inspiring and filled with good advice.
    I practiced the lifts and watched Alan Thrall videos.

And, today was day 1 of Week 1!

So, here goes!

Today's Workout
    Squat 5x5 @ 45lbs
    Bench Press 5x5 @ 45lbs
    Barbell Row 6x5 @ 65lbs

Overall, the lifts went well. My form was good in squats and bench press. I did an extra set of rows because the first set wasn't up to par.

I'm really excited to begin this journey
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Set my alarm for 6:45 instead of 5:45! I woke up at 5:07 and thought "still a few more minutes to sleep" and then woke up at 6:12 and flew out of bed. I managed to get my lifts in, but no time for body movement warmups.

Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x115
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x70
    Dead: 1x5x130

I was so proud of myself for jumping up and squeezing it in! I missed Saturday's lifts so I was not going to miss this one!!
  • idlecrush
    idlecrush Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's workout:

squat 5x5 @ 55lbs
    bench press 5x5 @50lbs
    barbell row 5x5 @ 50lbs

I also did lat pull downs 3x12 @75lbs, assisted dips at 3x5 @ -150 (which works out to 77lbs), and planks 1@ 30 seconds, 1@ 19 seconds, and 1 @ 14 seconds.

Crappy day at work translated to a hard workout in the gym.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    sigh, its 2 steps forward and about 7 steps back for me when it comes to working out!

Anyway, back at it again & it was deload, deload, deload & deload some more
    Squat: 55lbs 5x5

Bench Press: 55lbs 5x5

Row: 45lbs 5x5 still trying to do the rows properly, I have been doing them with dumbbells on an incline bench b/c of my back, so now I am doing a mix of the two. I think I may just stick to the dumbbells, I just can't get to where I feel good about my form otherwise.

Skullcrusher: 25lb 2x8

Shrugs: 45lb 2x15

Calf Raises: 45lb 3x15
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    PS @Denna_Bean, good job for getting a workout in at the crack of dawn!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    turned out to be a squats day. i did deloaded bench at 45/45/50, and the deloaded deadlifts at 50/70/90 as well. plus some rows and dimel deadlifts, but most of it was basically accessory stuff.

and then the squats. i worked up by very anal-retentive 5 jumps to 65 and then did 5 sets with that.

idk, i thought i had something good going but not sure how i'm feeling right now. my legs are fine, low back feels fine atm, i was working hard on 'bend the bar over your back', keeping my lats engaged and not letting my chin poke forward. so it all felt stable and smooth enough, but i'm not at all ready to say i'm happy yet. left shoulder/lat/etc etc won't let me right now.

i did a lot of back work today, actually. slow band pulls with the next-level band, trying to isolate my rhomboids specifically. dk what i think yet, but think i'll be okay taking a rest tomorrow. my actual lats and rear rotator muscles are feeling the whole thing already.

and i must have been hydrated this time. weight on the scale was up a whole 4+ pounds near 140 today.