Whole30 2016

Options

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    This weekend was kinda blah! I think in order to keep it honest, that I have to start over. The point is to be 100% on point, otherwise I don't reap the benefits. At least I won't have to go through the withdrawals again. @Brennerjlb, I'm lucky to have no junk food at home, but I've eaten out a couple of times, which is my issue, so no more eating out! Happy day 11 for you, I'm starting back at day 1.
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    @Grockrockstar - I am impressed. Way to be honest! That is impressive. Good luck!
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Day 6 for me- I think I'm going to turn into a rabbit with how much lettuce and carrots I have been eating! I know variety is good but routine of a salad at lunch makes this so much easier for me. I made my favorite meal for my family today- tacos with chili beans, beef and cheese and I was so sad with my big bowl of veggie soup with beef. Oh well. I feel good/healthy and...empowered so I know I am on the right track. I guess my veggie soupis a little cheat but I don't care about 10 kernals of organic corn. It is the closest to compliant canned soup I have found and its delicious! Amy's Organic Garden Vegetable. Like I said I add beef and EVOO.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    brennerjlb wrote: »
    @Grockrockstar - I am impressed. Way to be honest! That is impressive. Good luck!

Hey, thanks!
    Today I re-booted, so it's day 1 for me. I plan on keeping my menu simple today. Breakfast is eggs, lunch is a big *kitten* salad, and dinner is bison meatballs with fried Brussels sprouts. I have chicken tenders for snacking.

Let's have a great day!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Checking in on day 6, I think. I actually lost count. Everything is pretty routine at this point, so it's really not a big deal. Luckily I don't have any events coming up, or distractions, so I'm hoping to see this through till the end, whatever that looks like. Here's hoping for an uneventful food day!
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ANy pro tips for someone looking to start up? My plan is to start May 1 just because I know this next week will be full of beer and wine and eating out so I don't want to lie to myself. (Best friend is here from out of town)
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    ANy pro tips for someone looking to start up? My plan is to start May 1 just because I know this next week will be full of beer and wine and eating out so I don't want to lie to myself. (Best friend is here from out of town)

I would suggest to plan ahead, get all those forbidden foods out of your house, and expect to feel a little icky for a few days (for some about a week) while your body detoxes from all of the crap. I've had many false starts, where I felt so bad that I just gave up. It also helped when I didn't have any events for a couple of weeks, so there were not excuses. Lastly, sit back, relax and enjoy the food!
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    GrokRockStar you are doing great! I kind of rebooted yesterday. Kept a calendar of days I followed whole 30 and not since April 1 There were 4 I cheated. So start over (: TarTall - I agree with RockStar's response. Plan plan plan all the time. Especially in the beginning. Give yourself no room to cheat. GOOD LUCK!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I'm doing much better, but starting was pretty challenging, especially detoxing from certain foods. I hope to stick with it and not deviate, that's my plan!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Time to reboot due to being off plan for a minute. My hub decided to jump on board with me, so it'll be much easier with a partner. If anyone else is interested, please jump in!!

My Whole30 Plan from 8/10/16 - 9/10/16 (and maybe beyond):

Food for the month: Eggs (boiled, scrambled), beef (pressure cooked), bison (pan fried) chicken (grilled), fish (tilapia grilled, baked), veggies (broccoli, brussels sprouts, cucumber, tomatoes, cauliflower (rice & mashed), spring salad mix, asparagus, onions, garlic, bell pepper), and fats (avocado, black olives, mac nuts. coconut oil, ghee). I like to keep it simple and pretty much eat the same types of foods every day. My food goal is to notexceed 60g net carbs daily.

Starting Weight : 194.4 (dang, I gained since last time) I know I’m only supposed to weigh once, but I’ll likely check in periodically to see how I’m going.

Exercise is up for discussion, we'll see what happens. I don't like to exercise, but have been hiking with my newly rescued furkids
    90c4b06d-4447-402e-86e9-f4e94f06c868.jpg

Excited to reboot!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Day 1 and I'm feeling optimistic and ready to get back on track. The next few days I plan on keeping the food real simple and eating high fat to help eliminate some of the cravings I've been having. Here's to a great day on plan!

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Day 1 and I'm feeling optimistic and ready to get back on track. The next few days I plan on keeping the food real simple and eating high fat to help eliminate some of the cravings I've been having. Here's to a great day on plan!
    Doing the same. It's not quite a Whole30 for me as I'm still doing butter and cream. I can't do nut milks, and I have to limit coconut. Too much, and I have gut problems. Otherwise I would ditch the dairy for a real Whole30.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I also include Ghee, which is Whole30 friendly. I'm trying to stick with it 100% to get the full benefit, but a lot of folks do a modified version when being introduced into the Paleo/Primal way of eating or have been away from it for a long period of time. For me, it's a good reminder why I keep coming back. @homesweeths, hope it's going well!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    How's it going today, @GrokRockStar ?

I strayed a little yesterday -- that comes of having a gourmet cooking college kid at home who needs to let off a little steam before the grind of classes starts again, plus a supply of tree ripened peaches and plums hanging around just begging to be made into kuchen.

Am going to try to adapt my mug cake batter and teach it to her for her next go round -- not Whole 30 (muffins, even though all the components are paleo, are definitely not Whole30). She usually doesn't eat sweets but we've had this family tradition of this one German recipe when the Italian prune plums come ripe.

But am back on plan today.

Do you find you do better if you keep fruit to the evening hours? I'm wondering if the organic peach I had at breakfast set me up to want sweets later in the day. (In the winter I hardly eat fruit at all, but it is gloriously in season here and we can get good local organic tree ripened fruit and fresh picked berries right now.)
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    @homesweeths, all is going well, thanks for checking in!
    I've been on plan, with the exception of some suspect extremely salty tri-tip on Saturday. My step-son grilled the meat and I brought the side (salad). He bought the meat pre-seasoned from Safeway, and I didn't realize until I started to eat it, so I ate very little.
    I'm not eating fruit at the moment so that I can lower my blood sugar. When I do start eating them again, I'll stick to the low glycemic kind, so mostly berries.
    Here's to a great day to be on plan :) !
  • curlyq86
    curlyq86 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm looking to start the September Whole 30 on 9/5/16. Has anyone tried nut pods in their coffee? I see that they are Whole 30 compliant.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    @curlyq86, I'm not a coffee drinker, but nut pods sound interesting, what are they?
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I saw nutpods on the Whole30 Instagram, but I haven't tried them yet. I typically drink my coffee black but was thinking of trying them to add a little variety. I'm in a nut free classroom so I'm limited in when I can use them. I'm hopefully starting Whole30 Sept 1st... I haven't successfully completed one yet but I'm looking forward to doing it this time!

@GrokRockStar - they're nut-based non dairy creamers!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Oh, ok, thanks for letting me know!
  • lavender624flood
    lavender624flood Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Glad I checked back here. I started a group on FitBit and on Sparkpeople looking for others interested in a Whole30 challenge for September. No activity. :-( It is great to see that some people have the same goal for this month. Let's do this. :-)