MAF Method: aerobic base building

Options
wanderinjack
wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
Mark Sisson and Mark Allen have been all over this MAF stuff so I thought I'd check it out in more detail. Since I love running and I've not done it for a long time for fear of chronic cardio (which I have experienced) I'm going to try this as an experiment. Has anyone tried aerobic base building?

http://philmaffetone.com/method/
https://timeonmyfeet.com/tag/maf-test/

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Uhm, 180-age? I'm already 47, that's 133, no way I can "run" within that limit.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Then walk
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options
    Then walk

Oh, but I like to run :smile:
    Anyway, I haven't used an HRM in the last 4/5 years. At that time I could jog/ run slowly at around 140/145 bpm, but I preferred to be at 150/155 which I could sustain for an hour. I suppose that nowadays numbers would be smaller, yet I need to go fast to get my endorphins "high" :smile:
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm 71 and have just had major surgery. That leaves me at 99 and I reach that when I sit still. Obviously this is not for me.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Perhaps I should be more clear. I'm not selling here...just asking for input from others who have actually tried it. Very not interested in opinions of those who haven't tried it.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options
    Perhaps I should be more clear. I'm not selling here...just asking for input from others who have actually tried it. Very not interested in opinions of those who haven't tried it.

Sorry if you felt your thread hijacked, but it seems that nobody tried this method on here (not surprisingly since cardio is not generally encouraged on paleo...).
    You should ask on running forums or simply google it, like I did:
    http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/maffetone-low-heart-rate-training-and-choosing-a-race-speed
    https://therunningbug.co.uk/rbforums/f/5998/t/16502.aspx?pi913010=1
    http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum6/HTML/014522-2.shtml
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    FYI, this method is highlighted in Mark Sissons new book, primal endurance.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options
    FYI, this method is highlighted in Mark Sissons new book, primal endurance.

Yes, and that's actually confusing, since Mark has always told us to sprint, while on the Maffettone's method, if I understand it correctly, you have to avoid any anaerobic exercise.
    Anyway, I don't want to give the impression that I want to dissuade you. It's definitely an interesting approach (the whole fat-burning thing makes sense), so if you feel it can fit your needs, go for it.
    And please don't forget to inform us how it goes :smile:
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Thanks, plan to get out for my baseline run today. It will be interesting to see how slow I have to go. I'll let you know.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've done it. After three weeks of aerobic long runs, PR'd my 5K by 30 seconds.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Yes, and that's actually confusing, since Mark has always told us to sprint, while on the Maffettone's method, if I understand it correctly, you have to avoid any anaerobic exercise.

You are encouraged to do one to two sprint sessions a week during heavy training phase according to the book (which has a whole chapter on sprinting) and Dr. Phil's website.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    PR'd my 5K by 30 seconds.

Congrats. I have a history of mile run times to compare against.
  • wanderinjack
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wow, that was shocking. Ran 4 miles at <180-my age, I turned in an average pace of 13.36 min/mile...shockingly slow since I was proud of my 8 minute mile time last week. I haven't ran that long in several years for fear of chronic cardio and it was so nice to be out for that long. Nice to totally change things up a bit. Looking forward to the next 8 weeks of this experiment.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The MAF program is amazing. It's based on the theory that many of us get what we think is fit, yet generate a lot of stress, and stress hormones, and inflammation in the process, and people still drop dead of heart attacks.

I have friends who are professional athletes who used MAF to come back from injury. One of them suggested I do it as I drop weight. The idea being that we don't over stress our bodies with trying to move at typical 80-90% max HR.

As you move more slowly, you strengthen the heart.. My athlete friends found it excruciating in the beginning, but after 3 months, on the track they were pulling faster times .. and have continued to, than ever before.

So, while I appreciate carrying my own bags, and moving a la paleo, MAF is going to be my way forward.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Great info, thanks. I tend to hit workouts very hard and I can't seem to get rid of about 10# of belly fat. Sounds like, looks like...a cortisol imbalance. And yes, I have a history of sleep issues. I'm totally relooking at my whole fitness program in the light of whether or not it's jacking my cortisol and causing more hard than good. Closely watching my HRV and acting accordingly....no more no pain no gain, macho bs.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    I read this over at MDA and it made a ton of sense to me:

It's a bit of a tangled web with Cortisol, i'll point form it:
    - Cortisol and DHEA are produced by the adrenal glands; when one goes up the other goes down.
    - Testosterone is produced from DHEA
    - Estrogen is created from Testosterone (to balance the hormones)
    - Weight gain is actually tied to not enough Estrogen. Don't confuse this with too much, it needs to be balanced

So stressing your body out will screw up the entire process. Too much cortisol lowers DHEA, which lowers testosterone, which lowers estrogen, which causes weight gain.
  • FitToLead
    Options
    Good on ya wanderinjack. Cortisol has a lot to answer for - in relation to pain, inflammation, swelling, lowered immune function, lowered digestive enzyme production, less happy hormones - so, we'd all sleep better, be happier and weight less with less pain, if we did not stress our minds and bodies.

Wish I knew that 20 years ago:)
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Two of my favorite health and fitness gurus got together for this great podcast episode. The takeaway for me is.... to improve speed, endurance, health and happiness, slow the "F" down! http://fatburningman.com/mark-sisson-the-carb-loading-myth-how-to-fuel-athletics-with-fat-advanced-heart-rate-training/
  • FitToLead
    Options
    cool, thanks for that