Magnesium.....how much?

2»

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,159 Member
    @Phrick thanks, will view video.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Has any of you been more sleepy after starting taking Magnesium like the two in my post above? I keep seeing people say do not use the ASPARTATE type. Does any one understand why because I have a good stock of it.

I am recovering from the Sorbic Acid accident yesterday because my teeth are starting to feel Keto slick again.

@GaleHawkins I seem to remember something I read in the link you shared the other day about the aspartate form bring bonded with aspartame...??? I'll need to look at it again and see if I can find it. On that source, it was the connection to aspartame that made it so they didn't recommend it. Since we know aspartame usually does have an insulin response, it could be that's what causes the sleepiness...??? I'll see if I candied that info again. I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited April 2016
    Ok. I see that @slimzandra had actually shared info that mentioned the aspartame connection but I did also read it on the links shared in the other thread as well.

http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-supplements/
    7qtuyyivltex.jpeg

So, I guess the way we've been saying that any form that ends in "ate" is a good choice isn't the very best advice we could be giving.
    I would like to come up with better, more specific recommendations for magnesium supplementing to include in our launch pad write up.
    Do others agree?
    I think a link to the ancient minerals info would be helpful and the screenshots I took pulling out the specific info that we are typically interested in.
    Just to simplify "what should I take" in the cleanest possible way.

Edit: disregard... Upon looking at the launchpad info again I realize both sources of info are in fact provided already. Just have to use the links to get to the meaty information.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,159 Member
    edited April 2016
    Boron--also wondering if including that would help to alleviate some of the arthritis pain, read and shared this with DH today-same link is posted above and am thinking b4 adding yet another supplement:

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm
    My LifeExtenstion Boron came in today. It seems to be connected with magnesium levels in some shape or forum I am reading. Arthritis and Lupus are my two initial conditions of interest.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    LINIA wrote: »
    Boron--also wondering if including that would help to alleviate some of the arthritis pain, read and shared this with DH today-same link is posted above and am thinking b4 adding yet another supplement:

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm
    My LifeExtenstion Boron came in today. It seems to be connected with magnesium levels in some shape or forum I am reading. Arthritis and Lupus are my two initial conditions of interest.

@LINIA I will see if I can tell if Boron has any effect on my joint pain. I can state in my case Chanca Piedra cuts my arthritis pain. Leaving off sugar and all grains fixed so many health issues and most of the pain. I have been on Chanca Piedra about 90 days. I can now take water bottle caps off without tool because the grip is strong perhaps due to little to no pain.

One should be aware since it is used by natives to lower blood sugar and blood pressure you to keep a tabs on both if hypo on BG and BP.
  • GaleHawkins
    Ok. I see that @slimzandra had actually shared info that mentioned the aspartame connection but I did also read it on the links shared in the other thread as well.

7qtuyyivltex.jpeg

So, I guess the way we've been saying that any form that ends in "ate" is a good choice isn't the very best advice we could be giving.
    I would like to come up with better, more specific recommendations for magnesium supplementing to include in our launch pad write up.
    Do others agree?
    I think a link to the ancient minerals info would be helpful and the screenshots I took pulling out the specific info that we are typically interested in.

Edit: disregard... Upon looking at the launchpad info again I realize both sources of info are in fact provided already. Just have to use the links to get to the meaty information.

@Sunny_Bunny_ for another thread where I mentioned PQQ that I take I found the following statement:

"PQQ protects the brain against neurotoxicity induced by other powerful toxins, including mercury, glutamate, and oxidopamine (a potent neurotoxin used by scientists to induce Parkinsonism in laboratory animals).1,15,16"

doctormurray.com/pqq-the-next-nutrient-superstar/

The reason I posted this source it does call glutamate a neurotoxin so I am going to toss our magnesium/potassium aspartate to be on the safe side at our house because we have no reason to be taking neurotoxins at our age and health status. :(

We take PQQ to beef up the health and number of mitochondria in our cells.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member

Do others agree? ...

@Sunny_Bunny_ Stephen Phinney recommends slow-release magnesium chloride (Slow-Mag or its generic equivalents).

See Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, Chapter 18, Clinical Pearl #9 (Muscle Cramps).
  • GaleHawkins
    RalfLott wrote: »

Do others agree? ...

@Sunny_Bunny_ Stephen Phinney recommends slow-release magnesium chloride (Slow-Mag or its generic equivalents).

See Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, Chapter 18, Clinical Pearl #9 (Muscle Cramps).

Dr. Dean slams Slow-Mag and promotes her liquid brand.

drcarolyndean.com/2016/03/market-share-of-magnesium/

This Mag supplement is thing is confusing to me. :)
  • RalfLott

She seems to think calcium neutralizes magnesium. ??

• RalfLott

Do others agree? ...

• Sunny_Bunny_

7qtuyyivltex.jpeg

Do others agree?

@Sunny_Bunny_ for another thread where I mentioned PQQ that I take I found the following statement:

"PQQ protects the brain against neurotoxicity induced by other powerful toxins, including mercury, glutamate, and oxidopamine (a potent neurotoxin used by scientists to induce Parkinsonism in laboratory animals).1,15,16"

doctormurray.com/pqq-the-next-nutrient-superstar/

The reason I posted this source it does call glutamate a neurotoxin so I am going to toss our magnesium/potassium aspartate to be on the safe side at our house because we have no reason to be taking neurotoxins at our age and health status. :(

We take PQQ to beef up the health and number of mitochondria in our cells.

PQQ sounds interesting.

She seems to think calcium neutralizes magnesium. ??

Well, magnesium chloride was mentioned on both of the sources in this thread as being the best absorbed and the most natural form as well, so it makes sense that it would be recommended.
    Slo-Mag was the first mag supplement I bought for my dad, which he responded to very well. I also started him on fish oil and sodium chloride at the same time though.
    Most recently I bought him magnesium glycinate. He seems to be doing well still. Sodium seems to be thing that makes the biggest impact for him. He ran out for a few days and was a mess again right away.
    Anyway, I didn't think the calcium in the Slo-Mag was very much. ??? That was one of the reasons I went with glycinate this time. He takes a multi vitamin too and I figured he didn't need more calcium. He lives off canned fruit and cottage cheese, so he's not getting any low carb benefits of reduced inflammation. I hate that he eats so much sugar being a lung cancer patient!
  • Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    OK, so if no calcium supplements then I could never stay under 50 grams of carbs a day. Can't imagine how with our WOE anyone can consume enough foods from above list to hit mdr for calcium w/o taking a pill. ( i take calcium/mag/zinc)

I was thinking the same thing when making my list for which supp to incorporate.
  • GaleHawkins
    OK, so if no calcium supplements then I could never stay under 50 grams of carbs a day. Can't imagine how with our WOE anyone can consume enough foods from above list to hit mdr for calcium w/o taking a pill. ( i take calcium/mag/zinc)

I was thinking the same thing when making my list for which supp to incorporate.

It think this why Dr. Dean states to not use Magnesium if it contains Calcium plus in women some research indicates a taking calcium supplements increases the risk of premature death.
  • RalfLott
    Do any of you sages have thoughts about magnesium hydroxide (found in Milk of Magnesia and generic antacids)?

Drugs.com suggests 30% is absorbed after it's been converted to magnesium chloride in the stomach....