A stall already??

Options
poisongirl6485
poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
Hey guys! I'm a month out from the RNY. I lost almost 20 lbs in the first two weeks since surgery (45 altogether), but I've been at a stall since then! I'm sticking to my food plan so I don't understand why the weight isn't coming off. I get around 800 calories a day, and don't really have cravings or snacks or anything like that. Any ideas??

Replies

• Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    A stall is very common a little while after surgery. I think its your body trying to catch up. Mine lasted for over a week and drove me crazy. Just keep doing what your suppose to do and it will start to come off again. Hang in there!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    3-4 weeks post-surgery is typically when most people hit their first stall. This is completely normal!

It will pass. Your body is adjusting to everything post-surgery, and it's possible you're still retaining fluids from the IVs you were given in the hospital. (A good way to check for that - poke your ankle area on the inside of your leg. Does your skin take a brief second to retract back into place? If so, you're still retaining fluids.)

Make sure you are measuring because it is likely you're losing mass even though your weight has temporarily stopped moving.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I FREAKED out when I hit my stall at the same time as you, it will pass I promise. I cried for a week I was so upset. You will find out that stalls hit allot but they do pass
  • coffeeandacop
    coffeeandacop Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A stall at this time is normal! Make sure you're drinking your water and getting enough protein! It will pass before you know it!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating but normal. Hang in there and stick with your diet plan :)
  • anubile1967
    anubile1967 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My first stalls were at week 4 and then again during weeks 7 & 8 and I thought I was going to lose my mind. Now I hit one every now and again and I try to not let it get to me. I feel disappointed at times, but it's normal and expected.. just your body "readjusting".
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The science of stalls baffles me! Haha. I had one stall around at the third week and I think I'm in the mist of a second, now at 7 weeks out from RNY. It's crazy to think that before surgery I was losing a pound a day eating 1000-1200 calories and now I am eating 400-700 calories a day and can't lose even a tenth of a pound in almost a week.

I know it's normal and I need to just focus on staying on track, but it's still so weird!
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The science of stalls baffles me! Haha. I had one stall around at the third week and I think I'm in the mist of a second, now at 7 weeks out from RNY. It's crazy to think that before surgery I was losing a pound a day eating 1000-1200 calories and now I am eating 400-700 calories a day and can't lose even a tenth of a pound in almost a week.

I know it's normal and I need to just focus on staying on track, but it's still so weird!

I know just what you mean, before my RNY I lost a little over 100 lbs, and I had my diet and weight loss down to a science and after my RNY I have no clue what to do with myself. Everything that worked before, does NOT work now and I hate it lol. I don't know my own body anymore. And the stalls are KILLING me ugggg.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hang in there everyone! They pass, but oh are they frustrating. Best thing someone told me was to think of my weight loss as stairs rather than a steady decline, for me it made it a little more tolerable. My body was just resting on the step, resetting and getting ready for the next down drop. The other thing to keep in mind is to keep feeding your body - remember you are resetting your metabolism, so keep on keeping on. And hide that scale if you can, measure your body instead ( I never could and still can't - I'm a slave to the scale). But seeing inches go helps make the scale not move a little easier too. I am one year post op and have been bouncing in the same two pounds for eight weeks - if I don't drop next week I will officially be in the longest stall of post surigcal life. But my body is changing definitely! Six years ago at my heaviest I wore a womens plus size 30 jeans and they were snug, this weekend I bought juniors size 30 jeans (comparable to a size 10) and they fit like a dream! Size 30 to Size 30, NSV HELL YES!!! And I am not done yet ;)
  • rce884
    rce884 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    joysie1970 wrote: »
    Hang in there everyone! They pass, but oh are they frustrating. Best thing someone told me was to think of my weight loss as stairs rather than a steady decline, for me it made it a little more tolerable. My body was just resting on the step, resetting and getting ready for the next down drop. The other thing to keep in mind is to keep feeding your body - remember you are resetting your metabolism, so keep on keeping on. And hide that scale if you can, measure your body instead ( I never could and still can't - I'm a slave to the scale). But seeing inches go helps make the scale not move a little easier too. I am one year post op and have been bouncing in the same two pounds for eight weeks - if I don't drop next week I will officially be in the longest stall of post surigcal life. But my body is changing definitely! Six years ago at my heaviest I wore a womens plus size 30 jeans and they were snug, this weekend I bought juniors size 30 jeans (comparable to a size 10) and they fit like a dream! Size 30 to Size 30, NSV HELL YES!!! And I am not done yet ;)

This is an inspiring Joysi1970. great to know that it does pass. i am not quite at surgery time yet but find this forum so helpful for getting to know what i will be facing