Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building - Take 2

Options

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    DDHFree - If I can control my eating habits at night, I'll be on my way to getting way fit and less fat.

I was missing my cardio so I decided to run 3 miles, then did side planks and regular planks for 1 minute on each side (3 minutes total). Also bike to and from work for 6 miles total. I'm tired and hungry already. LOL!
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's Workout
    Squat - 65lbs 3 X 6
    Bench - 45lbs 3 X 6
    DB Single Arm Row - 22.5 lbs 3 X 8
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Week:1/Total Week: 17
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift
    - 109 lbs 4× 6
    Shoulder Press - 44 lbs 4× 6
    Negative Chin Ups - 4X6 reps (Notes: I was so excited to try these again. Difficult but like doing something new.)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    DDHFree - If I can control my eating habits at night, I'll be on my way to getting way fit and less fat.
    I'm tired and hungry already. LOL!

Dcresider, try to see if you find a few foods that you enjoy BUT are also VERY filling for you. That might be the missing piece for you. Please give it a try. I like to eat at night too. The snacks that eat after my dinner contain a good amount of fiber and even some protein. For example: I enjoy a sweet and savory snack at night so I tend eat the following:

Alyssa's Vegan Oatmeal bites: They are high fiber, no added sugar, and 4 grams of protein. They are so good. (by the way, there are several non vegan varieties) http://alyssascookies.com/collections/alyssas-healthy-cookies/products/healthy-oatmeal-cookies-8-pack

I love these chips and they have 5 grams of protein per serving: https://candidreviewmom.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/beanfields-bean-rice-chips/

Lastly, I enjoy some homemade peanut butter balls (made with peanut butter, tofu, oats, quinoa, and natural sweetner).

You may not like any of these things but just want to make the point to try to find things that you not only enjoy but are satisfying. I like some other chips and cookies more but they are not filling at all and I tend to eat way over my limit. This is sort of a compromise imo.
  • dcresider
    edited April 2016
    Options
    DDHFree -Thanks for the tips and will check out those sites. The oatmeal bites looks great. My husband is vegetarian so I'm familiar with a lot ingredients listed above. I also use sweetener and tofu, occasionally quinoa.

I also have stop buying the crunchy processed stuff. My problem is that I tend to snack on those items while cooking dinner (carrots and veggies do take their toll at times).
  • DDHFree
    Options
    DDHFree -I also have stop buying the crunchy processed stuff. My problem is that I tend to snack on those items while cooking dinner (carrots and veggies do take their toll at times).

I hear ya! But keep the main goal in mind. I try to hang on to the fact that maintenance calories are going to be so much better. Keep focusing on HOW TO MAKE YOUR ALLOTTED CALORIES WORK such that you are not hungry and you enjoy your food. Believe me, I know it's easier said than done but it's necessary for the results that you're working toward. And I know you can do it.

One more thing, try logging those snacks in MFP as you eat them while cooking dinner. Hopefully you won't want to use up your calories in that moment. :)
  • dcresider
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Day 3 - Week 1

Squats: 5x6 @ 95 lbs.
    OH Press: 5x6 @45 lbs.
    Deadlift:1x6 @ 110 lbs.
    Romanian deadlifts: 5x6@ 70 lbs.
    Assisted Pullups: 3x8 @ Level 13 (70 lbs assisted). I'm curious if I can actually do a regular pull up. I'm too scare to even try. LOL!
    Assisted Dips: 3x8 @ level 12 (64 lbs assisted)
    Planks: 1 @ 1 minute each
    Cardio: 6 mile bike ride to and from work

Mood: Feeling good today. The sodium may have worn off from the other day but I had major munchies last night and could not stop eating. I was just plain hungry and carbed out. I had eaten my protein for the day but the carbs were calling my name.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Awesome, looks like I am just in time with week 1!

Week:1/Total Weeks: 1

Squats: 5x5 @ 135lbs
    OHP: 5x5 @ 50lbs 2x5 @ 70 machine assisted
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 165lbs

:)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Welcome Italiana! Yes, you are right on time. Look forward to sharing the journey with you.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Awesome, looks like I am just in time with week 1!

Week:1/Total Weeks: 1

Squats: 5x5 @ 135lbs
    OHP: 5x5 @ 50lbs 2x5 @ 70 machine assisted
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 165lbs

:)

That's an awesome Week 1! I'm in Week 1, but not at those weights!
    Great job Italianaxx79!
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    I'm tired and hungry already. LOL!

Dcresider, try to see if you find a few foods that you enjoy BUT are also VERY filling for you. That might be the missing piece for you. Please give it a try. I like to eat at night too. The snacks that eat after my dinner contain a good amount of fiber and even some protein. For example: I enjoy a sweet and savory snack at night so I tend eat the following:

Alyssa's Vegan Oatmeal bites: They are high fiber, no added sugar, and 4 grams of protein. They are so good. (by the way, there are several non vegan varieties) http://alyssascookies.com/collections/alyssas-healthy-cookies/products/healthy-oatmeal-cookies-8-pack

I love these chips and they have 5 grams of protein per serving: https://candidreviewmom.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/beanfields-bean-rice-chips/

Lastly, I enjoy some homemade peanut butter balls (made with peanut butter, tofu, oats, quinoa, and natural sweetner).

You may not like any of these things but just want to make the point to try to find things that you not only enjoy but are satisfying. I like some other chips and cookies more but they are not filling at all and I tend to eat way over my limit. This is sort of a compromise imo.

These are great tips for snacking. I, too sometimes like a little snack after dinner. Those look like good choices!
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    Week 1 Day 3

Squats
    6x5 @ 55 lbs
    Bench Press
    5x5 @ 50 lbs
    Barbell Row
    6x5 @ 70 lbs

Felt pretty good today, still watching Alan Thrall videos to check my form. Looking forward to my B day. I like deadlifts!

• DDHFree
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone. Hope you all had a great weekend. I did a lot of extra cardio just so I could eat more. LOL!

Week: 2: Total Week: 18
    Routine: Workout A

Squat - 84 lbs 4× 6

Bench Press
    - 62 lbs × 4X6,5,6,5

Negative Chin Ups
    - 4X6
  • dcresider
    Options
    Good morning ladies. I'm ready for the week and need to get back in control after stopping IF for the weekend plus I was away too.

Iwhayes820 - I don't really snack after dinner but mostly before when I start cooking. hah! Good job on those workouts.

DDHFree - cardio is great for eating more.

• dcresider
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Advice needed! So I hadn't seen my friend in over a year and noticed how big my legs had gotten. Of course she said it must from lifting but I'm not sure. Unfortunately, it's the last thing I wanted to hear since I still have a lot of fat on the upper and inner thighs. Should I decrease weights (currently squatting at 90 lbs. 5 sets of 6 reps) and do more reps, or stay at the same weight /reps and not move up for a while?
  • DDHFree
    Options
    lwhayes820 wrote: »
    Week 1 Day 3

Squats
    6x5 @ 55 lbs
    Bench Press
    5x5 @ 50 lbs
    Barbell Row
    6x5 @ 70 lbs

Felt pretty good today, still watching Alan Thrall videos to check my form. Looking forward to my B day. I like deadlifts!

Allan has definitely been very helpful to me throughout the process. But something tells me that I will be working on form for the rest of my life. LOL!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Advice needed! So I hadn't seen my friend in over a year and noticed how big my legs had gotten. Of course she said it must from lifting but I'm not sure. Unfortunately, it's the last thing I wanted to hear since I still have a lot of fat on the upper and inner thighs. Should I decrease weights (currently squatting at 90 lbs. 5 sets of 6 reps) and do more reps, or stay at the same weight /reps and not move up for a while?

Dcresider, I wished I felt comfortable answering this question but I don't think I know enough to do. Therefore, I am going to copy and paste a Q&A directly from one of Jay's article. Hopefully it helps.

Question #3: You've explained the importance of deloading when the goal is building muscle, but what about when losing fat? Should you deload while in a deficit?

Answer #3: Nope, definitely never deload in a deficit.

Doing so would essentially be the same as purposely lifting less weight while in a deficit, which of course is one of the worst things you can possibly do if you're trying to maintain muscle while losing fat.

However, if deloading is something you feel you need/want to do while you're in a fat loss phase, the ideal scenario would be to come back up to maintenance for a couple of weeks and deload during that period of time.

Once the deload is over and you're back to lifting at 100%, that's when you should resume the deficit.
  • dcresider
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ohhh, Decisions! Decisions! I think I'll keep moving forward for the next 3 weeks until after I re-take my measurements and then see if there are any changes and will re-evaluate. I was also told that I may need to increase my protein intake (currently at 75+ grams of protein) and focus on more of a caloric deficit if I need to lose fat. We shall see what happens.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    I think that as long as you are eating at a deficit and keeping your protein to reasonable amount, you can't help but to look slimmer in the long run. For me the scale continues to go down but only for 2 out of 4 weeks monthly. My arms are getting big, I now have that square shoulder look but I am loving it. I just keep telling myself that while my arms look big (but with muscles), they are going to look GREAT as I continue to lose fat. I think that's where the patience has to come in. I can almost see how nice my arms will look once more of the fat is gone.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Week 2/Total Weeks: 2
    SL's workout A

Squat: 65lbs 5x5

Bench Press: 55lbs 4x5
    60lbs 1x5 just to see if I could :)

Row: 60lbs 5x5
    decided to stick with using DB's & the incline bench chest row, I don't feel like I have good form on my rows and with a not so great lower back, I am not going to chance it anymore!

Skullcrushers: 30lbs 2x8
    The last few were slightly shaky, think I will stay at 30b for a while on these!

Calf Raises: 50lbs 3x15 (2x25lb DB's)

Shrugs 40lbs 2x10 (2x20lb DB's)

Also went for a cycle afterwards, only 6.5 miles, but oooohhhhmmmmyygggggg my poor legs!
    Don't think I will be doing that again :/