What Diet is everyone doing?

Options
BelleCakes2018
BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
Hi all!
Thought i'd make my first post and ask everyone what eating plan/diet you are on, and what led you to that decision?
I'll go first -

I've tried lots and lots of diets..mainly stuck to low fat (no calorie counting) and calorie counting (not necessarily correct food groups!) I have successfully lost weight on both - losing upto 80lb over the years.
However they never worked for me long term.. it has always been difficult for me to keep the weight off unless I keep myself feeling hungry.

This time I decided to try a new approach.. by accident really.
I was suffering from a lot of pain, tiredness, depression, and headaches so I started researching eating to help with this and discovered Whole30 - where you eliminate ALOT over 1 month and then gradually introduce it back.. It was well worth doing and I realised my eating WAS causing some of my ailments. I couldn't carry on Whole30 long-term.. too restrictive but I noticed I felt better so I then researched and tried Primal/Paleo way of eating.
I decided I would like to eat like this long-term but knew I may not lose weight very quickly on it..

Enter Atkins/or Ketogenic - I decided I wanted the best chance at fat burning possible..(at the moment with meds I am extremely inactive) so I decided to put myself into Ketosis. What I have noticed about this WOE is that I almost never feel deprived or hungry even though I am not eating any of the things I used to eat. It's very strange to feel this way, but I am really enjoying it. I CAN see me eating this way for life so I really believe this is going to be my last time of losing weight.
I am still calorie counting, as I am a person that overdoes things easily.. But eating this way whilst restricting calories has been the easiest calorie counting diet I have ever been on. So I am thrilled to have stumbled upon it.
(That will teach me to judge something before trying it again!)

I would love to hear what everyone else is doing, and why it works for them!

Replies

• Brolivia3D
    Brolivia3D Posts: 80 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm working towards full-time vegetarian, and mostly slip up when I eat out, because either there are no vegetarian options, or the few they have suck, hah. I'm hoping to be 100% vegetarian by the end of the year. It makes me feel a little more in control of my food without going down the overly obsessive road, and forces me to think about what I'm eating before I eat it, since meat is snuck into almost everything ever anymore. I've been down every bad road you can think of when it comes to food/diet/weight loss, and I'd like to move on to a healthier approach to food and life.

As far as anything else, I'm just trying to cut down on added sugar and processed foods/convenience meals. And since I only have to cook for myself, it's normally pretty easy to do. I just generally feel less bogged down when I don't eat meat as well. I've actually started to keep a folder on Google Docs of my successful recipes, for future reference :)

Also, the obligatory: It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change!
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    Hi Brolivia.. I tried Vegetarian..even dabbled with Veganism once (yes I really have done it all.. lol) I quite liked the veggy approach.. obviously my eating plan here is very meat based - but what makes YOU feel good and healthy is what matters.. I always used to eat Veggie meals a couple times a week anyway.. I don't think you need meat at every meal at all. Good Luck on your lifestyle journey! :)
  • Brolivia3D
    Brolivia3D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • stesig13
    stesig13 Posts: 247 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think I tried every diet there is.
    On each diet I lost 30-40lbs and gained all of it back plus tax
    but the good thing is; i learned from each diet and am trying to incorporate all that knowledge into my daily lifestyle (but only if i want to or am in a good mood lol)
    LA Weight loss
    amazing exscrutiating diet, when you always hungry. and thats why it worked.You would think 2 proteins, 2 starches ,3 fruits, 3 veg 2dairy is enough, but srarch = 1/2 bagel once a week, bread=40 cal, tiny potato once a week. fruts=1/2 cup a portion. Yes, i lost 30 lbs, but i was so hungry after, i couldnt stop eating
  • stesig13
    Options
    then i tried Atkins-amazing, yammi,was happy on it, but got scared with controversy about ketosis,that it could lead to kidneys failure it was a very long time ago and modern approach is different now}
    Susanne Sommers diet
    best diet ever, can swear by it
    you eat absolutely everything, just separate protein and starch ;protein+fat+veggies, carbs+fat+veggies.Fruits 2-3 hrs after each meal, same for dairy
    french diet
    i tried before visiting Paris,lost 10 lbs
    will never try it again
  • stesig13
    Options
    i know so much about all types of diet, its sick lol.
    So i tried eat in moderation,,,,,,,,bad idea......GAINED 50 lbs
    so now i am here in a big need of support and understanding doing my best in counting calories.
    I understand the main concept is calorie in versus calorie out!!
    no way of escaping it!
    oh well SO BE IT!
    So i will count calories, burn them exercising or just being more active and lose weighti
    i know i will do it, bc there is no better time then now!
  • kriskrossness
    kriskrossness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly Keto. But I generally have around 35 carbs daily instead of 15. Mostly because I love fruit.
    I've tried every stupid diet out there, from HCG to low fats to cleanses. Keto-ish works for me so far.
  • mrsthompson422
    mrsthompson422 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do the 5 and 1 diet. Basically low carb, low calorie, low fat. I have been very successful so far very close to reaching my 40lb mark! :)
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am doing my own hybrid of low carb and drinking IdealShakes (meal replacement). I know there is a stigma attached to meal replacement shakes, but they have worked for me so far. I usually have two shakes a day as well as 1-2 smaller meals and always snacks! The shakes help me stay within my calories so I can eat a bigger meal somewhere else during the day. As I get closer to my goal, I intend to wean myself off them. However, I love them so much I am sure I'll continue having one for breakfast each day cause I am lazy and usually running out the door. And I dislike most breakfast foods.

But for my snacks and foods, I try to keep it simple because I'm a poor student, I'm lazy, and I'm a picky eater. Kind of boring, but mostly carrots, apples, tilapia, chicken, cauliflower, and granola bars. Still looking for a recipe to make my own low carb protein bars! If im creative, I'll make a Mediterranean salad with feta, artichokes, and olives. I'm mainly deterred from recipes with a ton of ingredients.
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Always try to do experiments with in the calorie of your goal and always taste the best healthy food. Divide meals has a five to six sets not like breakfast, lunch and dinner. Set five or six interval and eat every two hours something healthy and take a glass of water atleast half an hour before the lunch. Excess effort to exercise will burn calories and again you feeling hungry. 100% Weightloss can be done by 70% healthy diet food and 30% exercises.
  • phyllis731
    phyllis731 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a bit of paleo. I'd been eating that way without realizing it, so I've just embraced the name. I'm going try carb cycling, too, and see how that helps. And I'm currently not eating sugar, flour, or drinking alcohol.
  • scruffy1961
    scruffy1961 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    for me i am using the fasting method at this stage. I started with a 72 hour fast to kick me off and then i try to have atleast one 48 fast a week and a couple of 24 hours. Please note this is not my long term plan, on my eating days i am staying under 1500 cal, and when i have reached a point in the fasting will adopt the 5-2 fasting method with cal restriction on the eating days. Losing weight is never a problem it is keeping it off that is the problem, I have bad knees and struggle to walk, so spend a lot of time feeling sorry for myself and eating. I have given my wife 6 months of serious effort and an attempt to loose 30kg (i am hoping for more but will see).
    I like the commons sense approach to diets, living off grapefruit only is silly and trying to eat pure(raw foods) is difficult. SO i watch my calories and fat, make better choices, listen to my body and understand that every now and then you need a treat. SUSTAINABILITY is the issue for me and that is my goal.
    ohhhh I hate breaking a fast on something I dont enjoy, have done it occassionally and it sucks, so now when i break my fast I make sure i do so with good food choices.
  • lls5111
    lls5111 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago, I had great success with weight watchers. After my hysterectomy I got very down on myself and gained everything back plus. So now I am back to weight watchers and I really like it. They are focusing now on 'clean' eating and its really working for me. Its a little slower to take off the weight - its difficult for me to get exercise in, but the scales are going down.

I like mfp website/app sooooo much better so I am doing my journaling twice.
  • sam06ana
    sam06ana Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Due to complications from dental/facial surgery I'm on a liquid diet. Lots of water, protein shakes and iced coffee! Normally, I eat what I want/like and use MPF to keep track of calories and use the culture shock to make better choices
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    sam06ana wrote: »
    Due to complications from dental/facial surgery I'm on a liquid diet. Lots of water, protein shakes and iced coffee! Normally, I eat what I want/like and use MPF to keep track of calories and use the culture shock to make better choices

lol - that last bit is an interesting approach!
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    I think me and Stella are almost on par with the amount of diets we've tried!
    Thanks everyone for replying. I think it's really interesting and nice to be able to share all our different ways of eating without getting them bashed by other MFP members like in the forums! I am open minded to everyones approach as we all know the saying "what works for you may not work for me" etc... It'll be great to see eachothers progress on the different eating plans and maybe open eachothers minds up to new things to try if we see anyone struggling in the future. :)
  • stesig13
    Options
    phyllis731 wrote: »
    I am currently doing a bit of paleo. I'd been eating that way without realizing it, so I've just embraced the name. I'm going try carb cycling, too, and see how that helps. And I'm currently not eating sugar, flour, or drinking alcohol.

Phillis, how on earth can u not eat flour or sugar? Please share
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    stesig13 wrote: »

I don't eat flour or sugar either Stella!
  • stesig13
    Options
    I think me and Stella are almost on par with the amount of diets we've tried!
    Thanks everyone for replying. I think it's really interesting and nice to be able to share all our different ways of eating without getting them bashed by other MFP members like in the forums! I am open minded to everyones approach as we all know the saying "what works for you may not work for me" etc... It'll be great to see eachothers progress on the different eating plans and maybe open eachothers minds up to new things to try if we see anyone struggling in the future. :)

I would like if couple of us can try same diet for a week, like a challenge . We will think of things to eat and will eat it for a week and then compare results and feelings. I thing it's fun!!
  • stesig13
    Options
    stesig13 wrote: »

I don't eat flour or sugar either Stella!

What? How? What do u have instead? Teach me!