Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    mamafazz wrote: »

Thanks for the link @mamafazz . The below was news to me. Locally wheat harvest will be starting in about a month so I will keep my eyes open.

"However, just because Roundup doesn’t kill you immediately doesn’t make it nontoxic. In fact, the active ingredient in Roundup lethally disrupts the all important shikimate pathway found in beneficial gut microbes which is responsible for synthesis of critical amino acids.

Friendly gut bacteria, also called probiotics, play a critical role in human health. Gut bacteria aid digestion, prevent permeability of the gastointestinal tract (which discourages the development of autoimmune disease), synthesize vitamins and provide the foundation for robust immunity. In essence:

Roundup significantly disrupts the functioning of beneficial bacteria in the gut and contributes to permeability of the intestinal wall and consequent expression of autoimmune disease symptoms"......

OK I better see the need for Probiotics.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've posted this elsewhere but it's particularly appropriate here. I went low carb purely for weight loss/weight control purposes. After a couple of months of no grains (low carb or not) I suddenly realized the symptoms of my Crohn's Disease were significantly improved. My gastroenterologist (just like 90% of the medical profession) apparently sees no connection between what goes in our mouths and what happens down the line, so I got no encouragement from him. So who am I going to believe, Dr. X? You or my own lying gut?

At Christmas time I took a couple of hefty licks off the spoon and the beaters while making brownies for a party and blew up like a puffer fish. That was the extent and the end of my grain (and refined sugar)experiments.

That is particularly astounding coming from a doctor who specializes in the digestive tract, of all things.
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The concern is can probiotics even survive in your colon with the conditions the round up causes? My guess is not. Our government needs to do a better job at protecting the citizens instead of getting their pockets lined to turn the other way.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    mamafazz wrote: »
    The concern is can prebiotic even survive in your colon with the conditions the round up causes? My guess is not. Our government needs to do a better job at protecting the citizens instead of getting their pockets lined to turn the other way.

Yet another reason to just stay away from grains to begin with. ;)