4 months out of RYN and questions

vanillarose77
vanillarose77 Posts: 159 Member
ok so i'm about 4 months out of surgery and i'm a little over half my goal weight...but i'm having some concerns about eating...sometimes i feel like i didnt have the surgery since i can eat quite a bit and other times i can't eat much at all.

do any of you have cravings for sweets? and if so what do you do? i tried sugar free ice cream and it doesnt settle well with me.

also i use the premier protein drinks as a good way to get my protein in but i'm having trouble finding a protein powder i like. what kinds do you use if any? just asking because someone i have on facebook makes recipes using protein powder and i would love to try them.

i'm also trying to figure out eating habbits because some days i can eat something and the next i cant. i'm finding the only thing i can really eat is cottage cheese with fruit, salad, apple sauce, my own protein shakes made with premier protein drinks, hamburger, eggs and cream of wheat or malt o meal.

i am also feeling a bit alone because i am living in Kansas and all my family is in california and i really have no one to talk to about what i am going through. I'm hoping to go back to cali next year so it will help. if anyone wants to add me please feel free.

Replies

• Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    edited April 2016
    Hi again! I wrote a little on the previous post started by socalgardengal. One of the best unflavored protein powders I found is Genepro by Musclegen. It is sold on Amazon and is amazing. You get 30g of protein in 1TBSP It can be mixed easily in just about anything and is almost tasteless. This powder was recommended to me from several people in this group. If you go to their website they will send sample packs for a small fee.

I lived in Kansas when my husband was in the service. I really didn't care for it but I was also separated from my family and my husband was away on specialized training a lot. I can't imagine going through this process alone. Is there any support groups in your area? I sent a friend request and feel free to message me anytime.

A suggestion on the sweet cravings. Walmart sells a sugar free Popsicles in a clear bag called Budget Saver. They are usually on the bottom shelf and sometimes you have to search to find the sugar free ones. They get mixed up with the regular one. I love the flavors and they are not as hard as the name brand ones. I also like the pre-made sugar free jello in the dairy section. I believe the brand name is Jillys. They are nice because they are in cups that you grab easy to take on the go. Sometimes I put some sugar free cool whip on top for a special treat.
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Hi there. I'm about two months post RNY. As far as the sweet tooth issue, I haven't had too much of a sweet tooth these days (compared to how it used to be!), but I do sometimes. I got a good tip in this group recently. I don't know if you can tolerate/if you like yogurt, but lately I've been mixing some protein powder with greek yogurt. It makes it thick, almost like a pudding or cheesecake texture. I got a bunch of different flavored Quest protein single serve packets from my local GNC. They last a long time when only mixing a little at a time withough yogurt. And there's a couple different sweet flavors to choose from.
  • vanillarose77
    vanillarose77 Posts: 159 Member
    Hi there. I'm about two months post RNY. As far as the sweet tooth issue, I haven't had too much of a sweet tooth these days (compared to how it used to be!), but I do sometimes. I got a good tip in this group recently. I don't know if you can tolerate/if you like yogurt, but lately I've been mixing some protein powder with greek yogurt. It makes it thick, almost like a pudding or cheesecake texture. I got a bunch of different flavored Quest protein single serve packets from my local GNC. They last a long time when only mixing a little at a time withough yogurt. And there's a couple different sweet flavors to choose from.

I like yogurt and usually put it in with my premier protein drink when making shake/smoothie. I havent tried the quest brand though. I do like and can tolerate sf pudding. I dont get cravings that much either but now and again i do

Thanks
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member

i'm also trying to figure out eating habbits because some days i can eat something and the next i cant. i'm finding the only thing i can really eat is cottage cheese with fruit, salad, apple sauce, my own protein shakes made with premier protein drinks, hamburger, eggs and cream of wheat or malt o meal.

Lots of trial and error in this process. These are common issues. Some foods go down easy, others sit heavy. Try to keep foods moist. Sometimes helpful to weigh or measure your portions. Keep your protein first. Lots of great folks on here, lot of great advice.