Insatiable munchies!

Options
kirstie1978
kirstie1978 Posts: 29 Member
I've been so good, kept the carbs well under 20g a day but last week I twisted my hip and have been on ibuprofen the past couple of days. I can tell it's affecting me with a bit of indigestion. Today I forgot to take extra fat to work and my lunch was at 8g of carbs (nuts as snacks) and oh my I was hungry for the first time since I restarted this 3 weeks ago... Tonight I have had a high fat super low carb meal and I have the unbelievable munchies still! I've even made a mug cake to try curb it with a huge dollop of cream to no avail! I never get this but right now I could eat anything and everything! Not dehydration as I drink like a fish.... Must be the carb increase and ibuprofen but it's out me over my macros for today and as I haven't shifted anything since my initial water loss I'm now worried! Any ideas/suggestions!

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Judging by your username you're likely female. Where are you at in your cycle? Ovulation and menstruation will certainly have an effect. 8g of carbs shouldn't be causing mega munchies, but there are tons of other things that can (stress, boredom, hormones, inadequate fat, inadequate protein, etc).

Try not to eat the house, but also keep in mind that you are making progress overall. Hungry days here and there are to be expected. Just try to listen to your body and determine if you're actually hungry, or just bored, thirsty, or otherwise.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I did find myself going through a few weeks of that. This week I'm finally coming back to normal. It was frustrating, but no permanent damage done. My snacks were on plan and I stayed right in my macros. Just overall calories were high. I didn't lose much weight during it and I have no idea what caused it, but it came and went. I seem to be back to normal yesterday and today.

Just stay on plan and snack if you need to. Your loss may slow down or stop, but the snacking urge should pass eventually.
  • PoodleDoodleMel
    PoodleDoodleMel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How do you make a mug cake
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Anything that tastes sweet just makes me hungrier. I avoid all sweets.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Weirdly enough I experienced terrible hunger the last couple of days... TOM I think but can't be sure.. I ate quite a bit of dark chocolate, sugar free jelly and cream and still didn't feel satisfied. Ran out of food, so eventually I opted for a can of tuna in oil and some coleslaw on the side... Weirdest thing - I felt full, satisfied and calm enough to go to sleep. I never knew the magic of tuna!! lol Can't say it would work for everyone but I was pretty surprised!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It's also likely that since you have an injury your body needs some extra fuel to put towards healing itself.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Judging by your username you're likely female. Where are you at in your cycle? Ovulation and menstruation will certainly have an effect. 8g of carbs shouldn't be causing mega munchies, but there are tons of other things that can (stress, boredom, hormones, inadequate fat, inadequate protein, etc).

Try not to eat the house, but also keep in mind that you are making progress overall. Hungry days here and there are to be expected. Just try to listen to your body and determine if you're actually hungry, or just bored, thirsty, or otherwise.

Kudos for listing boredom as a lurking cause of unhealthy urges.

An ER nurse I know confirmed that some patients do indeed hold boredom responsible for certain behaviors they later regret.....
  • kirstie1978
    kirstie1978 Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Haha as a nurse there are plenty of interesting things I have seen that can be put down to boredom related activities! Scary!
    Editing as most of my post was deleted!

It's definitely hunger not thirst or boredom etc.... That's the weird thing as I don't get like it normally! I'm not sure it's TOM as I'm week 2 of my pill.... So usually best weight loss time for me.... I know something is up as I'm also waking up at 5am which isn't ideal on my days off. Grrr! Wondering if it is subconscious stress. Usually stress stops me eating and I'll loose a stone or so in a week, but I don't feel stressed so all very strange! Hopefully it will disappear soon too! I have decided to try bullet proof coffee (normally I only drink black coffee) but it's actually nice....although I am still feeling hungry after just that as breakfast! Any thoughts on that?!

As for the mug cake, I put almond flour, egg, cocoa powder, butter, cream and Splenda in a mug, mixed it up and zapped it for about 1 min and that's it! Simple!

Thanks for the suggestions, if nothing changes I might have to try a fast or something.... Might kickstart something! Or failing that I'll go with canned tuna if that's worked for some! It could be the protein my body needs? As that's what I've reduced? But trying to keep that low as was too high once I did my macros.... Confusing me or what! Bodies are amazing but by gosh they're hard to figure out!