Free day OR Easy sweets within low carb/keto

Options
Buildingit3157
Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
I was wondering all of your tactics for Allowing something off diet every now and then Or any Easy low carb Keto preps for something sweet? I'm wondering if I should allow an indulgence once a week or stick to crafty easy low carb or keto sweets recipes. Did I mention Easy?? :)

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I occasionally make cheesecake, using erythritol and xylitol as sweeteners.
  • eileenhernandez456
    eileenhernandez456 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Glad i am not the only one who feels like sweet carbs are like a drug... i mean i dont just want one oreo... i would eat the entire box... i am at the point where i can manage green vegetables and onion... i hope that soneday i can be a place where i coukd actually enjoy a low carb desser without ivereating the portions.. if i made a low carb cheesecake today... i would eat the entire thing in one serving! I still enjoy reading recipies though... someday i will be there!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've been adding some occasional berries back into my diet, so I'll have some berries with a tbsp of extra thick double cream for a treat. Or I'll just have a square of 90% cocoa chocolate. Neither of those things trigger cravings for me or put a damper on my weight loss, but everyone is different. If I moved to an 85% chocolate I would struggle and be at risk for having more than one square.

I definitely don't plan big carb days for the sake of fulfilling cravings because those days turn into big black holes that suck me and cause all kinds of havoc on my body. I had a couple unplanned carb days early on and two intentional carb days over the last couple months to deal with my Keto breath before an important meeting and it's sheer hell trying to get back on track and it sets me back about two weeks each time. Not because I'm eating carbs for two weeks, but it messes with my blood sugar, I have water weight to deal with and the cravings result in me simply eating more, so I don't lose.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Glad i am not the only one who feels like sweet carbs are like a drug... i mean i dont just want one oreo... i would eat the entire box... i am at the point where i can manage green vegetables and onion... i hope that soneday i can be a place where i coukd actually enjoy a low carb desser without ivereating the portions.. if i made a low carb cheesecake today... i would eat the entire thing in one serving! I still enjoy reading recipies though... someday i will be there!

I often make little individual servings - a ramekin with some ground almond, chopped nuts and coconut mixed with melted butter pushed into the bottom and then cream cheese, double cream erythritol and a few drops of stevia all mixed together, and then whatever I feel like adding - vanilla essence - lemon essence and raspberries/blueberries - nut butter - melted 85% choc - yummy and only one serving so I CAN eat the entire thing!
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have sugar free jelly with cream, mascarpone cheese with caramel syrup and cream on top, fat bombs would be "sweetie like".. you can even make low carb chocolate cakes and stuff in the microwave but I haven't tried that yet!! And I do let myself have chocolate almost every day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I periodically make black bean brownies, or black soybean brownies.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Dessert? A carb and sugar filled dessert is not a treat. Carbs and sugar are everywhere and available all the time. There is really nothing special about a donut, a piece of cake, a cookie or a bowl of chemical filled frozen dessert that passes itself off for ice cream. On the other hand, a steak done rare and covered with butter. . . A plate of jumbo shrimp and succulent crab legs with a side of clarified butter for dipping. . . A cup of coffee with a dash of vanilla and HWC. . . Thick sliced bacon cooked enough but never crisp. . . All decadent enough to be a real treat. Let's face it -- we LCHF people have the best eats. I will admit to a square of 85% cocoa maybe once a week or so. I nibble at it and let the bits melt in my mouth. And I don't take another nibble until the flavor of the first nibble is gone. It's much more enjoyable that way imho.
  • eatbadlyplate
    eatbadlyplate Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing something that works and I enjoy then I'm not big on trying the old ways, but FWIW you can put in a few hours fasting then have a modest size treat followed by a walk and you'll not detect the difference.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I skip sweets. The closest I get to normal sweets is xylitol sweetened chocolate chips with nuts. If I have a small piece of cake (without icing) or a muffin, my appetite and BG is derailed for days, if not weeks. I can't handle it.

I stick with keto treats like fat bombs, mashed avocado with cocoa and stevia... high fat and low carb. If I could handle the cravings, and my BG could take it, I might have had an ocassional treat, but I can't.
  • LCHF4Life
    LCHF4Life Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I can't have traditional sweets either. I can tolerate a bite or two of a traditional fatty dessert like pot de creme. It's not overpoweringly sweet and the fat satisfies me. I might experiment with sugar free sabayon and a few berries this summer. I'll see. That said, there are some things like keto ice creams that might be worth a look. I also made a fat bomb this week that worked: ground macadamia nuts, butter, cocoa powder and a combo of stevia drops and sucralose (splenda) sweetened coffee syrup. Those turned out really well and hit that candy spot, but are mostly fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Haha I'm the same. I made a batch of 12 peanut butter cup fat bombs, and I ate the whole lot in one day. My cheescake lasted a little bit longer :open_mouth:
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I do the occasional single serve batch of goodies. Cheesecake is a nice indulgence for me. But I couldn't do so until I had the self control to eat one, not the whole batch. I keep a bag or two of sugar free candy around for days I want something different, but most of treats are in the form of quest bars. I find that sweet things aren't tasting as good to me anymore. The quest bars are only lightly sweet to me, which makes them appealing to me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't handle sweet very well really gets a strong hunger signal going that is hard to reign in. I avoid even Keto desserts like the plague!
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    Thanks for all your ideas! I will have to experiment. I'm trying to set myself up for the best possible indulgence. I have a son in the house and I make him treats plus even on low carb I crave one once in awhile. I guess I need to look into which sweets satiate yet keep me on track. I would like to maintain this lifestyle not derail because It's too restrictive. Part of life is being satisfied too :) any more ideas for easy summer treats or fat bomb recipes I am all ears!
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your ideas! I will have to experiment. I'm trying to set myself up for the best possible indulgence. I have a son in the house and I make him treats plus even on low carb I crave one once in awhile. I guess I need to look into which sweets satiate yet keep me on track. I would like to maintain this lifestyle not derail because It's too restrictive. Part of life is being satisfied too :) any more ideas for easy summer treats or fat bomb recipes I am all ears!

http://thenourishedcaveman.com/27-indulgent-keto-desserts/

Loads of desserts here, and several fat bombs to get you started :)
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    Wow, these look delish! Thank you! I will def be making some for weekend treats ;)
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'll have some fresh strawberries and raspberries with some Cool Whip. Trying to avoid fruit as much as I can.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    Dessert? A carb and sugar filled dessert is not a treat. Carbs and sugar are everywhere and available all the time. There is really nothing special about a donut, a piece of cake, a cookie or a bowl of chemical filled frozen dessert that passes itself off for ice cream. On the other hand, a steak done rare and covered with butter. . . A plate of jumbo shrimp and succulent crab legs with a side of clarified butter for dipping. . . A cup of coffee with a dash of vanilla and HWC. . . Thick sliced bacon cooked enough but never crisp. . . All decadent enough to be a real treat. Let's face it -- we LCHF people have the best eats. I will admit to a square of 85% cocoa maybe once a week or so. I nibble at it and let the bits melt in my mouth. And I don't take another nibble until the flavor of the first nibble is gone. It's much more enjoyable that way imho.

@PamamaJane : First off, I LOVE your enthusiasm.
    But to be fair, all the items you posted aren't any more special than the desserts she may be referring to. I mean, you'd need to go tit for tat if you are basing your examples on Breyers icecream or Krispy Kreme donuts, that would be more like a McDonald's burger patty or flash frozen baby shrimp. But we have a donut place in town listed as top in the country that does an amazing, dare I say, VEGAN crème puff with sweet potato filling. Lavendar lemon? Yes! It's similar in style to Voodoo, I think.

I'm planning on ordering a cake from Milk Bar for my birthday. Now that's worth it! (No I don't bake. No I don't want to learn.)

But you are right. I haven't had any of these goodies in months and I'm totally digging on steaks with butter and chicken wing nachos.