April Presses bring May Dresses

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @canadianlbs thanks for the sympathy! I have had my skin itch when I start exercising after having not for a long time but this was different. The current theory is it's low ferritin/iron induced restless leg. Bah lol. At least it's nice to know it's not the workout that's causing it because I kind of just bought a home gym so I'm dedicated lol.

@DawnEmbers Those Voodoo doughnuts sound good... They look like Bronuts from my city but with more variety hahah. Mmm. Bronuts... Now I want carnival mini doughnuts. But alas my lunch was huge so I shall have soup later. Which is not doughnuts.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ooooo, IRON. i keep forgetting to experiment with my ferrous fumarate pills on this one. but it's a great thought and ima go take a couple right now. usually i only recognize having a flannelly hypersensitive mouth as a sign that my iron is too low.

just to be clear: i wasn't meaning that my skin was itching. more it felt like that same burn/itch sensation, except in the muscles themselves. still/anyway, hoping we both find solutions for it.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Week 1 Day 3

Squats
    6x5 @ 55 lbs
    Bench Press
    5x5 @ 50 lbs
    Barbell Row
    6x5 @ 70 lbs

Felt pretty good today, still watching Alan Thrall videos to check my form. Looking forward to my B day. I like deadlifts!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    lwhayes820 wrote: »
    I like deadlifts!

a thoroughly sensible attitude.

i did last day of deload week in mr t's space. bench 35/45/50, or something like that. 5 reps each, no amrap. the squats didn't go well at all, but i tried. my hips just lock up like fort knox if i give them half day's leeway.

biked to and from, and i was pretty speedy and strong considering how little biking i've done these past months. so there's that.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    oh yeah; i forgot that i also did 6x1 negative pullups for my accessory stuff. i'm never going to do a real pullup, of course. but these negatives felt like they were under pretty good control. so that was nice.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So after some reading and videos...i stared working hard on my form. My hips are misaligned, which throws everything off, so i thought the knee twinge was from that.
    This last week, deloaded a lot of weight and worked strict on form. Finally!!! Yesterday, no pain in squats!
    I have also decided to drop all the weights and basically start over. But, going to go 5 days a week with some modifications, and not increasing so quickly. I really need to work on my food consumption, and trying hard to hit the macros.
    So yesterday..
    Squats
    1 set of 10@45pds
    2sets of 10@85pds
    5x5 @135pds
    Ohp
    1 set of 8@45pds
    5x5 @ 65pds
    Dl
    1x5@135pds

Alternating days, will do bike for 20 mins 2 min recovery, 1 min balls to the wall. Figuring out complimentary things to do on the off day to help with form and lifting.

Sorry so long...but other than you guys, most people just roll their eyes and fall asleep when i talk about this stuff
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Slept really well and my workout was good!
    10 min warm
    Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x155
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x70
    Dead: 1x5x135

Have a good weekend! My next scheduled exercise is Tuesday :)
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Great to see so much lifting going on! I've been resting most of the week after tweaking my back doing kettlebell swings on Tuesday. Thankfully it loosened up in time for netball trading Thursday and game yesterday. It was the grand final rematch, last year we lost by one goal to this team, yesterday we won by 7, so yay!

I'm looking into getting an online trainer now, firstly to have a program designed for my specific needs that takes into account all the things I do and secondly to maybe have some help with form checking.
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    Isca_1 wrote: »
    So after some reading and videos...i stared working hard on my form. My hips are misaligned, which throws everything off, so i thought the knee twinge was from that.
    This last week, deloaded a lot of weight and worked strict on form. Finally!!! Yesterday, no pain in squats!
    I have also decided to drop all the weights and basically start over. But, going to go 5 days a week with some modifications, and not increasing so quickly. I really need to work on my food consumption, and trying hard to hit the macros.
    So yesterday..
    Squats
    1 set of 10@45pds
    2sets of 10@85pds
    5x5 @135pds
    Ohp
    1 set of 8@45pds
    5x5 @ 65pds
    Dl
    1x5@135pds

Alternating days, will do bike for 20 mins 2 min recovery, 1 min balls to the wall. Figuring out complimentary things to do on the off day to help with form and lifting.

Sorry so long...but other than you guys, most people just roll their eyes and fall asleep when i talk about this stuff

@Isca_1 that's what we're here for!
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Slept really well and my workout was good!
    10 min warm
    Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x155
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x70
    Dead: 1x5x135

Have a good weekend! My next scheduled exercise is Tuesday :)

That was an awesome workout!
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm out of the lifting game for the moment - I pulled something last week in a deadlift. I thought it would be fine but it's got more painful, so I'm seeing a physio tomorrow. I'm being super careful because I'm going off on a cycling trip next weekend, fully loaded with camping gear, so I need everything working as well as it can be! So - no lifting for now. But still enjoying reading all your workouts :smile:
  • ninenines
    Options
    @Ariadnula sorry to hear it, hopefully your injury clears up for a great cycling trip.

Back into Stronglifts today. I spent a lot of time focusing on squat form and posted a video up in the form check thread if anyone cares to review for me.

SQ: 3x5 at 35kg
    BP: 4,4,4,3,3 at 35kg
    BR: 5x5 at 35kg. It was supposed to be 38kg but I forgot to add plates after bench press. No wonder they felt so good!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Hi Ladies --

So many new names -- that's exciting! After a (far too long) hiatus, I've just finished week one of Operation: Back to the Gym. It is oh-so-HUMBLING to go back to the empty bar. :)

Anyone else having issues with the 5x5 iPhone app? Navigating and changing things is super annoying now -- I miss the old version.

Anywho -- this week's (Tues / Fri / Sun) weights:

Squats - 45 / 50 / 55 lbs.
    Bench - 45 / 50 lbs.
    Row - 45 / 50 lbs
    Overhead Press - 20 & 30 lbs. (someone was using (aka mostly leaning on) the 30 lb. static barbell, so I had to ask to borrow and switch between them)
    Deadlifts - 90 lbs.

Today, specifically:
    Squats - 6x5 @ 55 lbs.
    Bench - 6x5 @ 50 lbs. (last set was paused - which reminds me -- how long is one supposed to pause?)
    Row - 5x5 @ 50 lbs.
    Skullcrushers - 3x10 @ 15 lbs.
    Bicep Curls - 3x10 @ 7.5 lbs.

Will be going for a Sun/Tues/Thurs schedule moving forward.

Looking forward to getting to know some new peeps and catching up with the oldies but goodies (you know what I mean!).

xoxox,
    Courtney
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    got it mixed up, i think. but the week1 deadlifts are done. 95, 110, 125. i also did the beginnings of hte press workout but could not get the rack for the final amrap set, so i just left it there. may redo in a few days.

accessory was negative pulls/chins, alternated. the pulls are really really really REALLY hard at the rec centre and may be actually bad for me, because of how far apart those stupid 'handles' are. obvs the people who built those towers were thinking of men.
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Started week 4 of SL today. Not feeling great about it this morning.

Squats: 4x5 & 1x4 @ 90lbs. Almost fell over during one rep so I'll definitely be repeating 90.
    DL: 1x5 @ 130lb! Almost my bodyweight (130.8). Would've been at this time last week. Oops.
    OHP: Ugh again
    1x5 @ 35lb
    3x5 @ 40lb
    1x4 @ 40lb until I felt a twinge in my left shoulder during the 3rd and 4th rep. After that I decided to just do some shoulder rehab exercises on the TRX that my trainer had given me after the collarbone break. I think I'm going to add these to each workout because I think I still need them even though my collarbone break was in September.

Happy Monday!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    @TravelsWithHuckleberry - I take the standard 1.5 min rest between each set - unless I'm running late and can manage it with shorter rest (which usually only happens with bench/row - the others need full rest). Welcome back! I'm thinking I'm a new name to you since I don't recognize yours either :)

@pezhed - Nice on the deadlift!! That's cool that it's your body weight! Hang in there with with the OHP and good idea on repeating 90 on the squats.

No workout for Deena today, it's a rest day. I will probably go for a walk or something at some point - but no pre-defined workouts today. SL tomorrow with the roosters!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym after work last night for an upper body session. It is nice to bring back things that dropped off near the end of training but will be nice when I can figure out some programming since I want to increase on the main lifts by October. I will probably be doing something similar to PHUL just with some tweaks to accessories in the near future. Need to plan out the days I lift and cardio time since have the 10k obstacle run in under a month, and eventually the half marathon.

Bench 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75 and 3x5 @ 95

pull ups 1x1 and 2x2 with different grips. On the assisted machine but it was broken so a weight was holding the assistance part down on the ground. So, it was just regular pull up attempts. First set wide grip and other two on the pegs that jut out closer to the center.

lat pull down 3x10 @ 70
    overhead tri 3x10 @ 35

face pull 3x8 @ 70

Then went on the elliptical for 30 minutes to watch a little youtube on phone, also texted with my sister. Am planning just to increase cardio instead of doing low calorie for right now since I also have cardio goals and if I go too low calorie it affects my performance.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say Happy Monday and great job everyone!
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    SL's A

Squat: 65lbs 5x5

Bench Press: 55lbs 4x5
    60lbs 1x5 just to see if I could :)

Row: 60lbs 5x5
    decided to stick with using DB's & the incline bench chest row, I don't feel like I have good form on my rows and with a not so great lower back, I am not going to chance it anymore!

Skullcrushers: 30lbs 2x8
    The last few were slightly shaky, think I will stay at 30b for a while on these!

Calf Raises: 50lbs 3x15 (2x25lb DB's)

Shrugs 40lbs 2x10 (2x20lb DB's)
  • ninenines
    Options
    I was a bit nervous doing a kettlebell workout this morning, as that was when I hurt my back last week. But it's been feeling good and I think it was just my SI joint popping out of alignment a bit. Once I was able to get it back everything felt much better. Researching form for kettlebell swings today, I taped myself this morning and it looks pretty good as far as I can tell, but I want to be sure.

Goblet Squat: 5x5 at 20kg
    KB Swing: 10x7, then 10x10 at 20kg (Total 170 swings)