Sugar levels and exercise

Options
kim_m_kk
kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
is it normal for exercise to raise your blood sugar levels? I just started going to the gym and doing some cardio. Before I went checked sugar it was 86 after 116. I did not eat anything in this time. Just had water.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    This simple question, alas, does not have a simple answer - it depends at least on the duration and intensity of exercise and when, in relation to your exercise session, you measure.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Usually after anything more than a stroll in the way of exercise I wait for around an hour before I check...after an hour it's fine to check...if I take it straight away its elevated. Best wishes with your exercising!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My BG is elevated right after exercise, but the next 12-24 hours it seems to be lower overall. It makes sense to me. During strenuous exerise you need more glucose for your muscles so your liver starts pumping some out.
  • kim_m_kk
    Options
    Okay well if it's normal then I guess it is what it is. Thanks
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    From my experience it depends on the exercise and your meds. I'm on Metformin which will try its best to prevent the liver from dumping glucose. When exercising, that can be bad. I've had 50 pt drops when doing some heavier exercising.

I've backed off the Metformin a bit during the day to help avoid that and it seems to help.
  • kim_m_kk
    Options
    Yesterday I struggled with low blood sugar all day from about an hour after my workout. I have an appointment with my doctor next week so will talk to her.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    cdebracy wrote: »
    From my experience it depends on the exercise and your meds. I'm on Metformin which will try its best to prevent the liver from dumping glucose. When exercising, that can be bad. I've had 50 pt drops when doing some heavier exercising.

I've backed off the Metformin a bit during the day to help avoid that and it seems to help.

Are you staying on the same dose of Metformin and simply timing it differently on exercise days?
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    So I have just introduced exercise. I am starting with Very gentle strength training for about 15 minutes in the morning. Will try to alternate with very easy cardo. And already, after just 2 days I have seen by sugar readings are higher 1 hour after this mild exercise. 109 before, 118 1 hour afterward. I'll have to see how this plays out. Oh joy, yet one more stick to my fingers every day.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Test after the one hour mark. Almost everyone's rises after exercise in the very short term. After the 1 hour mark you will likely see a drop. Good for you!! The exercise is gonna help you if you keep at it!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've always found that it takes about 2-3 weeks of consistent exercise before I see a steady difference in my blood glucose. In that initial period, my blood sugars are all over the place.
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Okay. Well, I will wait a bit longer to test and not get worried about modest increases for awhile. thanks.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Are you staying on the same dose of Metformin and simply timing it differently on exercise days?

I am taking 850mg at night and 425mg in the am. On weight training days the 40-50 point drop is typical.

I meet with my NP on Friday and we've talked about one dose of an extended release version. I'm thinking 1000mg that I can cut in half if needed.

I'm doing intermittent fasting now so I make sure I get something to eat am hour or two before but usually by then my BS is already in the 90 - 110 range.

I keep some snacks with me in case I feel too low . Yesterday I sucked on a caramel candy while doing the last half of my workout and finished up with a BS of 82.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    cdebracy wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »

I am taking 850mg at night and 425mg in the am. On weight training days the 40-50 point drop is typical.

I meet with my NP on Friday and we've talked about one dose of an extended release version. I'm thinking 1000mg that I can cut in half if needed.

I'm doing intermittent fasting now so I make sure I get something to eat am hour or two before but usually by then my BS is already in the 90 - 110 range.

I keep some snacks with me in case I feel too low . Yesterday I sucked on a caramel candy while doing the last half of my workout and finished up with a BS of 82.

Thanks for the clarification. It didn't dawn on me that you were taking the normal release version.

I prefer the ER for a couple reasons. (I accidentally found out when the pharmacy gaffed and misfilled my ER script.) First, the stomach trouble came pretty swiftly with the non-ER stuff. Second, I started getting higher morning readings.

I find the ER friendlier on my guts if I split the dose throughout the day into 4x500. But you may be better off on training days taking a single dose.

Congrats on your progress - sounds like you're doing well.