23 Apr 17.4 miles
    24 Apr 17.4 miles
    25 Apr 6.2 miles
    26 Apr 8.2 miles

MTD 181.2 miles
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    I live in New Zealand and we are heading into winter - frosty cold and sometimes wet. I usually run in any weather but haven't yet been given the all clear to start running again so have been cycling up a storm but not so keen to do that in the dark. I notice people "cycling" while watching TV etc. Do you use something you click your road bike onto or do you have a separate exercycle?? Thanks for any advice
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    Adding 14 miles for 282 out of 300. I may hit goal tomorrow.. Again. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Leanz wrote: »
    I live in New Zealand and we are heading into winter - frosty cold and sometimes wet. I usually run in any weather but haven't yet been given the all clear to start running again so have been cycling up a storm but not so keen to do that in the dark. I notice people "cycling" while watching TV etc. Do you use something you click your road bike onto or do you have a separate exercycle?? Thanks for any advice

I have both. There are several types of trainers. They require that you change the skewer of your back tire to one compatible with the trainer, Most of the time your local bike shop has those or they come with the trainer. I have one magnetic one that I really like but it doesn't have the resistance of my fluid trainer so I switch back and forth depending on the type of workout I need. If I am working on climbing I use the fluid trainer. If I'm working on tempo rides, I'll use the magnetic. It's more quiet. There is also a fan version but it's pretty noisy. You can also get rollers but I wouldn't recommend it if you're not a regular rider. You are not fixed in place and any inattention can leave you sailing for the wall when you come off the rollers. I keep an exercise bike at work so when I have down time. That way I don't have to haul my bike back and forth. The trainers allow you to use your own bike so it fits better. They range in price but the better trainers come in price ranges from 200 to 300 dollars. I don't know what that is in New Zealand. You can go a lot more, but you don't need to. Wahoo makes one that I want to get one day where you take out your back tire and your bike sits in there like the trainer is your back tire. The Kickr is what it's called I think. I'm not ready to drop the $1000 dollars for it. Exercise bikes are exercise bikes. You can get them in recumbent, Upright, computer aided, Video screens, and all kinds of whistles and bells. Just remember, Riding indoors is tedious and boring if you don't have some distraction. I use my computer and several videos like Sufferfest and Rides.

Hope that helps.

Dean
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Beautiful day yesterday for a walk on the bike path. :) Lots of us out walking, running, biking and even one on horseback. There is a stable right next to the bike path on the portion I was on yesterday. Plus, everyone was great at sharing, no bikes forcing me off the path with no warning, no walkers or runners using the center of the path and refusing to give way to oncoming bikes, no large groups of walkers, runners or riders taking up the entire path and not allowing space for anyone to pass. :) The only bad part? Four months on my backside doing taxes has really messed up my stamina, not to mention my weight. :( Nothing that can't be reversed with some hard work and time.

Added 5 miles yesterday for an April total of 53 miles

exercise.png

Have a great Tuesday!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Yearly walking challenge: 329/1200 miles

April goal: 125 Miles

4/01 - 6 miles
    4/02 - 4/03: 8 miles
    4/04 - 4 miles
    4/05 - 4 miles
    4/06 - 5 miles
    4/07 - 5 miles
    4/08 - 4/10: 11 miles
    4/11 - 4 miles
    4/12 - 4 miles
    4/13 - 7 miles
    4/14 - 5 miles
    4/15 -4/19: 23 miles
    4/20 - 5 miles
    4/21 - 5 miles
    4/22 - 4/24: 12 miles
    4/25 - 2 miles

109/125
  • wanderan
    wanderan Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    adding 6.91 miles

month to date is 143.02
  • liftingwateringcan
    liftingwateringcan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Updating for Sat. 5.42, Sun. 4.99 and Mon. 6.61. That puts me a bit over my goal! :)

imp
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,315 Member
    Options
    Leanz wrote: »

Like Dean, I have done both in the past. I don't remember what brand of trainers I've had, but they were both the magentic type. I liked them okay and the fact that I was still riding my own bike so I didn't have to "get used" to it again after a full winter on a stationary bike. But right now I don't have a trainer, but I do have a stationary recumbent bike and I like that fine as well. The one thing that I insist upon however, whether I have a trainer or stationary bike is that it is located within viewing distance of a TV for distraction. Like Dean said, indoor riding is super boring and distraction is the only way to make it less painful. :smiley:

Dave
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,315 Member
    Options
    =============================
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:

http://tinyurl.com/myac201402
    =============================

CONGRATULATIONS to @VERDEMUJER and @LIFTINGWATERCAN for reaching their goals!!! :drinker:

Dave
  • queenegreene
    queenegreene Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    4/12 to 4/25 - 69.35miles walking
    Total to date - 102.81 of 120 miles (not much time to update, but trying hard to keep moving each day despite all the overtime hours. I'm happy to see that I'm not too far from green! Maybe I can actually make goal this month!)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I did a short run with a friend yesterday after work, then walked an extra mile to put me over goal!

exercise.png
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Thanks @sufferlandrian and @darkrider42 Gives me a more understanding and great info on what to look for.Thanks again. Maybe the physio will tell me I can run again when I see him today!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Adding 14 miles for 282 out of 300. I may hit goal tomorrow.. Again. :smile:

Adding 13 miles for 295 out of 300. Looks like tomorrow for goal. :smile:
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    8 mile run/walk

exercise.png

• momof2boyz832
    momof2boyz832 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    ttd 84.98
  • Lovemyalex
    Lovemyalex Posts: 3,804 Member
    Options
    April 26
    33.72 miles
    756.11 miles MTD
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

exercise.png

24th: 5 miles purposeful walking, 3.5 run - MTD
    25th: 5 miles purposeful walking - MTD
    26th: 3 miles purposeful walking, 3.5 run - MTD 172.01
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Well, I thought I posted an update, but apparently not. Did 10.4 miles today between walking and spin class. MTD - 119/120 miles(increased goal)
This discussion has been closed.