Ketogenic Diets - Pros & Cons (2015 article)

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
Keto-Infographic.jpg

Adverse Reactions to Ketogenic Diets: Caution Advised
http://www.thepaleomom.com/2015/05/adverse-reactions-to-ketogenic-diets-caution-advised.html

Literature review
http://www.thepaleomom.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Ketogenic-Diet-Literature-Review.pdf

(FYI - Skeptical comments from keto fans follow the article. The few reviews of Paleomom.com on MFP are generally positive.)

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I guess it helps to understand there's more than one path to ketosis. Some of the early diets used to treat epilepsy, for example, were pretty nasty. Low protein. High in vegetable oil. Generally deficient in nutrients.

So if you were to eat the "classical" ketogenic diet long term, you'd be likely to experience many of those cons.

A "well-formulated" ketogenic diet? Not so much.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Laughing out loud at the death to all systems warning. So far I'm clear of that one. ;)

Try to stay the course on that one!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    So if you were to eat the "classical" ketogenic diet long term, you'd be likely to experience many of those cons.

A "well-formulated" ketogenic diet? Not so much.

I have not met any outlaws on the keto highway, but there must be a few laying in wait for some travelers....

The only negative about our wonderfully supportive and knowledgeable LCD group is that we don't tend to hear much from folks not following a ketogenic diet with some degree of success (or at least no bad experiences to date).

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Look how many can be fixed with keeping electrolytes in balance!
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thank you for posting, I have to read the article. The red column could apply to so many other ways of eating, or more likely due to a lack of a few nutrients. I have been reading over the last few days about the epidemic of iodine deficiencies (it's bad folks, not just a thyroid problem), and many of the symptoms read almost exactly as what is listed in the red column. Ketosis is not the core problem.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »

Exactly!
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    Thank you for posting, I have to read the article. The red column could apply to so many other ways of eating, or more likely due to a lack of a few nutrients. I have been reading over the last few days about the epidemic of iodine deficiencies (it's bad folks, not just a thyroid problem), and many of the symptoms read almost exactly as what is listed in the red column. Ketosis is not the core problem.

I don't think ketosis is likely the problem in any way. Sounds like textbook electrolyte imbalance to me, but I wouldn't rule out other deficiencies as well.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Exactly!

I don't think ketosis is likely the problem in any way. Sounds like textbook electrolyte imbalance to me, but I wouldn't rule out other deficiencies as well.

They are so closely related. Iodine is an important mineral too (but arguably much more so). Since upping our electrolytes tend to also increase iodine, it will solve a wider range of symptoms and issues. But many of the deficiencies may be iodine related. (I urge everyone to google Dr Brownstein and/or Jorge Flechas, they have great talks on YouTube)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to know how ketosis causes pneumonia?? Pneumonia is caused by bacteria, viruses, and as I just learned from the NHS, apparently some fungi. That doesn't add up to me. That's like saying you're going to catch a cold if you don't wear a jacket outside. Enough of the "mom" science please! Maybe a kiss on the head would have prevented those deaths that were reported, or some of grandma's cookies.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I'd really like to know how ketosis causes pneumonia?? Pneumonia is caused by bacteria, viruses, and as I just learned from the NHS, apparently some fungi. That doesn't add up to me. That's like saying you're going to catch a cold if you don't wear a jacket outside. Enough of the "mom" science please! Maybe a kiss on the head would have prevented those deaths that were reported, or some of grandma's cookies.

The article and the separate literature review are a bit more substantial than your "straw moms!"
  • RalfLott
    Options
    If you have specific concerns, I'd be happy to dig into them with you. I love reading these studies almost as much as Ms. Minger does. :)

Thanks @wabmester - a very kind and generous offer. I may take you up on it down the road.

I don't have any specific concerns at the moment, as a well-formulated ketogenic diet appears to be tailor-made for my circumstances (carb-intolerant T2D).

But when others ask me whether a ketogenic diet would be good for them or if there are people who, for whatever reason, would be better off at higher carb or protein levels, I'm at a loss.

About the only intelligent (?) things I can think of are:
    • repeat Phinney's pet reminder that specialized diets affect different people in different ways;
    • warn people to take precautions in order to avoid prolonged "keto flu"; and,
    • if they're diabetic, urge them to read and test compulsively.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The reason somebody went to the trouble to make that pro and con list is because ketosis is shrouded in mystery.

People will decide for themselves based on whatever sources they choose to believe.

Right now we're in a weird state of misinformation. Not just about ketosis, but about nutrition in general. Our government agencies are confused. Our medical professionals are confused. They've been confused for at least 50 years now.

Probably the best we can do for now is to direct people to a discussion forum like this one where they can express their concerns and we can reprogram them. :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    The reason somebody went to the trouble to make that pro and con list is because ketosis is shrouded in mystery.

People will decide for themselves based on whatever sources they choose to believe.

Right now we're in a weird state of misinformation. Not just about ketosis, but about nutrition in general. Our government agencies are confused. Our medical professionals are confused. They've been confused for at least 50 years now.

Probably the best we can do for now is to direct people to a discussion forum like this one where they can express their concerns and we can reprogram them. :)

Good advice - as long as you and your soulmates aren't planning to retire from (de)programming any time soon!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options

Exactly!

How can one be sure their electrolytes are in balance? Blood tests? Any way besides that?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Without the % of each macro and total calories pros/cons mean little to me.

Ketogenic diet means different things to different people.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Blood ketones in the 1-2 range is as good as it gets in my case. When the reading is >2.0 I may grab some carrots, an apple or something whole food with fiber and carbs.