Triggers...

Options
PennyBrew
PennyBrew Posts: 47 Member
Hi everybody.
I've been looking into the effect emotional eating has on me lately and I've been trying to pay attention to specific triggers, like being around certain family members or knowing that I have a big project coming up. I was wondering if anybody has any techniques they use to deal with emotional eating before, during or after coming into contact with their triggers?

Replies

• gpolachek
    gpolachek Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm working on this too.
  • betrue95
    betrue95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also am working on this and would like to see responses.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    To relax, I meditate- breathe and also get daily exercise instead of eat
  • PennyBrew
    Options

What kind of meditation do you do? I always have a hard time sitting still for longer than five minutes.
  • PennyBrew
    Options
    Soy_K wrote: »
    my biggest trigger is stress. often work related. or finances. sometimes when im feeling the urge to pig out, i will go into my freezer and eat a handful of frozen blueberries, one by one. they are sour/sweet and really freaking cold, so it kind of slows my pace down and i'm able to think about what i'm about to unleash and stop it, while still having a treat. other times i'll do something ridiculous like hold a handstand against the wall for 60 seconds. or do 5 pushups. or go look in the mirror and ask myself - do i really want to pig out right now or am i just really stressed out looking to get out my anxiety? (sorry if that's tmi)

I like the idea of eating something healthy slowly. Usually when I get anxious/stressed I feel either like my brain won't slow down and I eat to slow down but I eat too quickly.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of eating something healthy slowly. Usually when I get anxious/stressed I feel either like my brain won't slow down and I eat to slow down but I eat too quickly. [/quote]

yeah eating something really cold that gives you brain freeze kind of helps :wink:
  • PennyBrew
    Options
    Lol that probably wouldn't work to well for me, I'm allergic to cold, but I may try drinking tea.
  • lanuevaluna
    lanuevaluna Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I also need help with this. Work stress and money majorly triggers me to binge.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    PennyBrew wrote: »

What kind of meditation do you do? I always have a hard time sitting still for longer than five minutes.
    PennyBrew wrote: »

I use youtube guided meditation videos
  • traci9028
    traci9028 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea of having someone hold you accountable or text you something funny (Soy_K) - that would really help me out. Knowing that you can text someone anytime, especially when you're about to eat but want someone to help you. (lenoresaari) good idea about the youtube videos. I have found many easy workouts that were so fun I didn't even realize I was working out. The time seemed to go by very fast too. Also, I've read that brushing your teeth helps because once you brush your teeth, lots of foods taste funny or unappealing. Definitely, running around the house, bouncing a ball or running up the stairs once or twice (or more) can be a quick way to boost your energy, making you not want to eat as much. I love bouncing a raquetball against a hard door. I've done this for a half hour, just for a fun workout.
  • betrue95
    betrue95 Posts: 23 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My daughter is back from University and she is trying to workout and get healthy so I was thinking last night that I need to be an example. How can I tell her to be healthy if I'm not?
  • brandyjan
    brandyjan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I need a texting buddy! What a great idea! Now I'm going to search for that perfect person who will respond and help me get past those binge moments. Thanks for this post!
  • nitallica
    nitallica Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I like that idea! I wonder if we could set something like that up? A text support group, I like it!
  • PennyBrew
    Options

I like the texting buddy idea as well and I'm going to have to start looking up some of the guided meditations on YouTube. Heck if those don't work maybe I'll see of my boss can do acupuncture for anxiety. Sure I have a needle phobia but I doubt I'll want to eat when needles are in my neck.
  • nitallica
    nitallica Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've wondered if acupuncture would work for me. I get a acupressure massage from time to time, as a reward, and those help.

Has anyone here ever had acupuncture and could share your experience?
  • PennyBrew
    Options
    The only time I've ever had it was for a stiff neck. I work at a chiropractor, I'll ask him what results he has had using acupuncture tomorrow.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm about to see a new therapist and nutritionist. Anxiety/bingeing etc... I'll report back all of the suggestions!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Wow great thread! Looking forward to hearing about your therapist meeting Mersie.