Weekly Post 25.04.-01.05.16

Options
2»

Replies

• Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My fast day yesterday was slightly off as I ate my meal at lunchtime. My normal pattern is a 4:3 as I find that is a better fit with my lifestyle but normally try to keep to 700-800 on those days. I just found it was too hard doing 500. I know this works for me but everyone is different and I think we all have to do what suits us best.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    My fast day yesterday was slightly off as I ate my meal at lunchtime. My normal pattern is a 4:3 as I find that is a better fit with my lifestyle but normally try to keep to 700-800 on those days. I just found it was too hard doing 500. I know this works for me but everyone is different and I think we all have to do what suits us best.

May I ask what numbers you stick to on normal eating days? Doing this may work for me for maintenance in near future
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY FLOSSY!

Did you actually say somewhere above that you're having a fd today??? If you are, I'll have a glass of wine later for you!!
    Cheers! :)
  • Juliemoo1960
    Options

May I ask what numbers you stick to on normal eating days? Doing this may work for me for maintenance in near future

Hi I normally eat 1600. I did try the 2 X FD but just found 500 was too low for me but this seems to work for me. Not sure it is true 5:2 in the purest sense but I think it is better for me to stick to this and manage it that to devour everything in sight when I get so hungry. I also found that i feel more balanced but still feel like I have fasted.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate more than 3200 calories and that is not untypical! So I need my fast days obviously . . . :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Yesterday I ate more than 3200 calories and that is not untypical! So I need my fast days obviously . . . :)

Well in numbers Sanjo that seems like a lot, but you cycle lots, if I'm correct, so you need that!! But I suppose even if your exercise didn't account for that amount, fasting 2 days/wk is the route to go because I do believe it's a 'weekly' number we need to watch, not a daily total and by truly sticking with a fast day as they are intended, maybe that's more of a benefit....to eat more during a regular eating day and then really fast sticking to 500 cals! Hmmmm food for thought?

I didn't eat well yesterday.....at our daughters nursing grad (3hrs long) so I could've skipped dinner altogether by the time we got home, but instead, stupidly bbq'd 2 hot dogs at 10:30pm & washed those down with a glass of wine and a dessert of chocolate!!! Usually I do eat well and I eat enough, my appetite is smaller now. @Juliemoo1960 I have never had a problem with fast days but it's interesting to me that everyone can tweak a little here & there. I'll try increasing my calories to around 1400 since I'd like to weight train more and stick with 2 attempted fast days and not worry if I only get one in. (Crossroads are hard to walk when you're a Libra!)
    Cheers everyone!
  • Juliemoo1960
    Options
    mamainthekitchen I too have had those bizarre days where you get to the and and that little demon just eggs you on to eat the strangest things. It is almost as if the more you try to deny the worse the craving gets
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Mama and Julie, the desire to eat uncharacteristic and large volumes of food hit me hard yesterday. As a former binge-eater who evolved into something who just likes to eat a lot of food, this behavior is something that I hadn't experienced in a while. I've evolved out of it, certainly 5:2 has helped and even taught me to enjoy not being full all the time. However, yesterday, it reared its ugly head. I eat a mostly plant-based diet, but yesterday it was cake, pizza, toast, Taco Bell (nachos?!? Come on...), triscuits, a chickpea curry with rice, a few cheese ravioli, ending with brownies. I shudder to think of the calorie count. I would agree with Julie...I've learned that these kinds of days just happen. In a way, training our bodies to live on a calorie count closer to or below 3500 each week leads us to have occasional days of more-than-normal amount. I look at it as my body saying "hey...I've been pretty diligent with fasting and eating good nutritionally, I just need a day of unbridled eating". Since it doesn't happen very often, I'm ok with it. A little puffy this morning, but ok with it.
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    That's something I struggle with too, getting to dinner time and not even being hungry and eating just because . . . it's 'dinner time!' In my mind I would love to be more like Gandhi and eat a modest amount of food for nutrition's sake only. I really enjoy healthy foods (and not so healthy stuff as well) and often will eat because something tastes good, not because of hunger. The link above to Mosley's Blood Sugar Diet above was interesting because it addresses cravings. A long time ago (pre-5:2) I had tried Atkins and was sad not to have foods that I was excited about (which maybe in itself is sad). Non-starchy vegetables and protein are fine and all, but the other delicious stuff is often my downfall. Sigh. I think it's time to stop talking about food and go for a bike ride!
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Sanjo, that's really the crux of it all. Eating mostly when not hungry. I believe it's a skill and one that takes a while to acquire. That's why when you have it, it feels odd to eat for other reasons. For me, 5:2 helped put hunger back into perspective. I can't say I always only eat because of ginger. Sometimes I eat because it tastes good. And as far as cravings, it depends on how you define that word. I associate a craving for something that I'm motivated to eat. Eating mostly plants has definitely changed what I crave!
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Well, after vigilantly monitoring my BP, I've discovered it is maybe slightly high (borderline), but certainly not anything to be alarmed about. I will admit some of the posts I read on the 5:2 forums had me scared. I did eliminate my daily Diet Pepsi, which typically gets me through my fast days. It actually hasn't made them worse. So, I will continue to fast and monitor. Sorry for the alarmist previous post. Oh and BTW, after reading my post before this one I said I only eat because of ginger. While I love ginger, I meant to say hunger. Darn autocorrect!! MFP's is the WORST!
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Good news about the blood pressure FlossyRuby! I eat a plant-based diet also and I agree that a plant-based diet can be delicious, for sure! Every non-fast day I want to eat asparagus, sautéed greens, a banana with pumpkin seeds, bread, an apple with peanut butter, granola, pesto with crackers, one cup of coffee with sugar, soy milk and coconut oil, popcorn, salad with avocado (well, I often eat that on fast days too), potatoes, etc. This weekend I made veggie soup for weekday lunches and it is super yummy. Other weeks, I make Thug Kitchen's Pumpkin Chili. So, clearly I have quite the appetite and I am super grateful I learned about the 5:2 way of life!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hey everyone, mind if I join in?

My quick intro-a few years ago I did alternate day IF (JUDDD) for the weight loss phase and then did 5:2IF during the transition period between wl and maintenance. Fast forward 3ish years of maintenance and I've been doing pretty good, using 16:8IF as my maintenance plan. Now that the weather is turning nice again I'm getting the itch to lose a few vanity pounds for the summer. I played around with traditional calorie counting/restricting over the past couple weeks but I've realized that I'm an IF girl through and through :)

So starting today I'm jumping back in with a short weight loss phase, doing a modified 5:2 plan (2-700 calorie days and 5-1,618 calorie days a week). Goal to lose 5-7lbs, so very doable!

• flossyruby1
    Options
    Welcome, Reader, and of course you may join in! Congrats on your weight loss and maintenance success!! A few of us are near the maintenance phase, so any advice or suggestions would be welcome!
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Sanjo, what is popcorn salad with avocado?!? I'm intrigued and always looking for new things to try!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Reader, and of course you may join in! Congrats on your weight loss and maintenance success!! A few of us are near the maintenance phase, so any advice or suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks for the welcome :) I'm going to do Mondays/Thursdays for my lower calorie days so today is my first day back at it. Have my calories mapped out and I'm ready to go!
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Hi Reader, thanks for joining! FlossyRuby, that was meant to be two different things that I love to eat: popcorn, and salad with avocado. :) I am fasting today and send good wishes to all the other Monday fasters out there!
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Hi Reader, thanks for joining! FlossyRuby, that was meant to be two different things that I love to eat: popcorn, and salad with avocado. :) I am fasting today and send good wishes to all the other Monday fasters out there!

Haha...too funny. You never know!! The vegan community can be very creative (chickpea brine made into meringue, anyone?), so I wasn't sure. Perhaps you're on to something, though. Popcorn repurposed into a crouton mixed with avo and other veggies? Hmmm...
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Bahahaha Flossy!! Too funny :D

Yes welcome @ReaderGirl3 any info regarding maintenance success will be interesting for us!!

And Flossy, great job on keeping diligent tabs on your BP! And also had quite a chuckle about the ginger.... Knew what you meant, but at the moment was nibbling on some uncrystallized ginger!!! I'm addicted to that stuff!!!