New to Low Carb

Options
berriesandjuice
berriesandjuice Posts: 16 Member
I have pretty much ruined my metabolism by yo-yo dieting most of my life. I am ready to change my eating lifestyle. I have a 4 year old daughter with a ton of energy. I have none.

I'm starting tomorrow. I am pretty excited about the food items allowed. It seems like I can easily adapt my menu. However, I am struggling with breakfast items. I am not a huge fan of eggs so I know I will only eat omelets on the weekends?

Any suggestions for breakfast items on work days?

Replies

• andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bacon, avocado, smoked salmon, kippers
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like to have my version of bullet proof coffee. I add coconut oil, butter or whipping cream or maybe coconut cream, and a small amount of protein powder.

My next favourite breakfast is dinner leftovers. Make a bit extra and have it for breakfast.

Don't forget to get 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. You'll be losing a LOT of sodium with the water weight over the next few days, and if you don't replace your salts you'll get fatigued, headaches, brain fog, and eventually muscle aches and spasms. Drinking a cup of salty broth and salting your food will help; I would add a teaspoon of salt to a glass of water in the morning. I know it sounds extreme, but it really does help.

Welcome to the group! :)
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2014/07/08/coconut-pancakes/

http://andhereweare.net/2014/01/almond-dutch-baby-grain-free.html/

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html

These are 3 of my go to breakfasts - eggs are an ingredient but they are not an egg dish if you catch my drift!

I also have a few raspberries and blueberries with full far Greek yogurt sweetened with stevia drops and tip it with nuts, seeds and coconut.

• andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Breakfast can be any food you like that fits your plan. Don't let "breakfast food" definitions be a barrier for you. Eat whatever food you want.
    Part of the process is adapting to a whole new thinking. All our lives we were taught that breakfast was heavy on grains and sweets for that matter and programmed ourselves that's the kind of food that's eaten in the AM. And that meat and salad and such is only for lunch and dinner.
    Eat whatever you want or don't even eat at all if you're not hungry.
    Many of us have a liquid breakfast of coffee with butter and or coconut oil or broth or tea and find that holds us over well into the late afternoon. However, in the beginning, you won't likely make it that long. I don't know what level of carbs you're aiming for, but no matter what that level is, fat is the important factor in feeling satisfied and good overall. Make sure whatever you have in the morning gets you started with some fat and it will help you quite a lot. If you're new to coconut oil, start with just a teaspoon or two to make sure your gut can handle it. Too much too fast if it's new to you can have you running for the potty.
    Best of luck to you!

25 years ago when I was an athlete I used to eat fried in butter white fish and caramelised onions for breakfast most days. No idea why I just did as I was told.

• daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Simple solution. Don't eat. Skip breakfast and eat a large lunch and dinner. The fast will help kick start your keto.
  • berriesandjuice
    berriesandjuice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you so much. I am not a big fan of breakfast so that will work. I will either drink a tea or skip it all together. :smile:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat breakfast. I just am not hungry for food until around noon. But, when I do, I usually have a steak. It's the most unbreakfast food you can imagine, but I love it.

I like eggs and bacon, but I never want them as a first meal. They are better for dinner, or lunch. Plain red meat is all I want to break my fast, whenever that happens.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do something similar to fit goat. I'm always rushing in the AM so I don't have time to be messing around with eggs and bacon at 4 in the morning. I have them for dinner sometimes though :) My "breakfast" is usually coffee with HWC and I eat my lunch around 11am-12pm, depending on my hunger and work levels. Then I get to either have a big dinner or snack more later on, depending on where I spend my calories.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Since I try not to eat anything after 8pm, I try to have breakfast every morning. I sometimes open a small can of red salmon ( only eat half of it)and mix it with cottage cheese . Or maybe some tuna fish salad for breakfast...I also find that if I mix a serving of oatmeal with about 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, I'm full until lunch. (Slow cooking or steel cut oatmeal is best - a good choice for me even though it is a higher carb breakfast)