Updated photo, honest opinions needed

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I was hoping for more of a change, I'm struggling to see any difference which is a little discouraging. I'm not actively trying to lose but I am trying to build muscle and lose fat.

mkdp1ewhjdqw.jpg

gvkx2pfm0479.jpg

7ea4egij8zcl.jpg

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Your upper back is definitely more defined. You seem to have lost fat there and your thighs are slimmer.

I believe you are making progress and shouldn't feel discouraged at all!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing it in the area by your armpits on each side in front photo. Lol
    And in the side view on your upper thigh. Much less "sticking out" on the upper thighs going on.
    Those are most pronounced but I do think the abdomen is showing slightly more flatness too.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    It's really frustratingly slow
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Look at the difference just above your waistband! It's not as puffy (lack of a better word!) Look at your elbows (yes I'm analysing for you!), the "roll" (again, lack of a better word) is gone! You are workin it!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I don't see a lot of difference. Have you logged accurately these past 8 weeks? What's your average deficit? What kind of workouts are you doing?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @karlottap lol I totally didn't look at my elbows, I do see a difference there. :/ it's something
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    I don't see a lot of difference. Have you logged accurately these past 8 weeks? What's your average deficit? What kind of workouts are you doing?

No deficit, eating at maintenance. Jogging and walking.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Gotta look all over, but there are differences!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I wonder why my one leg is bigger than the other
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    It took me a sec, comparing, but i do see differences in multiple areas. I actually think it's good for eating at maintenance + cardio! You'd probably see more difference with strength, from what I know, but so far I haven't managed to stick with a program long enough-due to injuries-to see a difference myself. ;) (That's why I'm in physical therapy now though!)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    That's the same reason I haven't done weights. I was getting closer to going to pt but after jogging and walking my neck and shoulder started feeling better. So I think I'm gonna try adding in some weights and body weight stuff to see how it goes. I hope pt helps you, I went years ago and it was wonderful.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Recomp is a sloooow process. Much slower than weight loss in my experience. I don't lift weights much. Mostly, I run. As an old guy, I didn't expect much change, but my calves showed a pretty good improvement in muscle definition, and my quads are slooooowly showing some muscles. After a friggin 1.5 years!

Wanna see my leg? :)

3l19t64aav7c.jpg
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The most pronounced difference I see is shoulder to shoulder, arm pit to arm pit across the front. Look at the actual muscle definition. To me that is a significant change...especially the pit "pooch" area, and your pecs totally make me jealous.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @knitormiss thank you for pointing some areas out. now that I look at it on the computer screen in the gigantic format it is in :# I can see changes in certain areas and others that look like they are beginning to deflate somewhat.

@kirkor thank you for your input I have to be carful with weights, I tried adding them in previously and aggravated an old neck injury, that's why I started with some cardio, I figured that would be better than doing nothing. I'm going to try to add some weights again and hopefully have less issues this time. the movement of my arms from jogging is helping to strengthen that area, I can tell because at the beginning my arms were getting really fatigued and they no longer do, but I can feel some muscle ache in that region the day after, that extra strength there may help to not aggravate my neck again.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Yep. We're in turtle territory...sucks. Actually, turtles look at us and as they pass us they shake their heads in sympathy.annoyed.gif

I've done YAYOG for almost 10 weeks now. I can see a slight difference in my shoulder muscles, pecs, and triceps. Other than that, not much else...I am doing harder push and pull variations. I've been doing ab and leg work and making progress there...just can't really see anything. I do very little cardio. I walk. And occasionally do some HIIT. But it's mostly strength. That's where you need to focus. Pick the easiest forms and slowly step up to avoid injury. It doesn't burn mad calories at the time, but it's burning for longer after and building more little calorie torchers for you. It's a long-term metabolic investment. Slow but steady.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I see more muscle in the upper body and your belly is way less fluffy in profile. You may benefit from resistance training. If you can't do weights, maybe some body weight workouts?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Yep. We're in turtle territory...sucks. Actually, turtles look at us and as they pass us they shake their heads in sympathy.annoyed.gif

So, I didn't watch this whole movie, but it reminds me of the scene in I think it was Grumpier Old Men, when some older than the GOM dudes is driving in them in a car, supposedly shaving time off a 5 hour car ride, and you see other cars pass them. Then you see bicyclists pass them. Then you see some young folks jog past. Then the grannies power walking! Then parents with strollers dawdling along. All while they look back at this barely moving older car... And then, just when you're dying watching it, the driver dude literally dies...

I know the scene was funny, but when we are going slow enough to compare it to health things... UGH... Anyway, hope it made you smile.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @knitormiss I haven't seen that one, but it sounds pretty accurate
  • ryanb1385
    ryanb1385 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

You have to remember, you are attempting to simultaneously engage your body in two contradictory metabolic processes. To lose fat, you need to be in a caloric deficit, but to actually build muscle, the body needs a slight caloric surplus. The way that people have done it in the past is to get into cyclical diets, for example, eat a 500 kcal deficit on non-work out days and a 500 kcal surplus on work out days so you are eating right around net maintenance. Its a difficult balance to strike and you have to be on top of all your numbers so you don't overshoot (gain muscle and fat) or undershoot (always losing).

There are two sources of gains in the gym, muscle efficiency and muscle growth. Most of the early strength gains are due to an increase in efficiency as opposed to size. As a newbie (or new again if you haven't been lifting in a while) you will probably need to get through the efficiency stage before seeing any size growth.

Also, remember that if you drop your body fat low enough, you will automatically look more in shape due to there being less fat to cover your muscles and the definition will show through.

I don't have the patience for recomping at the moment. This time around, I chose to shed the weight first, then worry about building the muscle. I do lift, but its once a week, so that I don't lose the muscle I have already. Keto is also very muscle sparing, so that helps as well.