Stopping yourself on the way down the slippery slope

Options
Wakey618
Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
I know better than to have "just a little" chocolate. Or "just a little" whatever other crap I shouldn't have. But I stand there at the top of that slippery slope and give in anyway. Then I can't seem to stop myself.

What techniques or methods do you use if/when you slip up and feel yourself losing control?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I just don't bring that stuff in the house anymore. If it's there I will eat it, and way too much than I should. I know what my kryptonite foods are, and I avoid them at the grocery store.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    First step is to know your triggers. Second step is to avoid them.

It's mostly mindset. I like @Sunny_Bunny_'s approach. There are only two categories -- food and not-food.

If you start down the slope, don't beat yourself up. Just start over with better discipline.

Simply logging the food helps me. It makes me more mindful. Eating becomes a conscious decision rather than a reflex.

BTW, I'm not perfect. There are some foods I know are triggers, but I eat them anyway. I just love them too much. Yes, I'm talking about you, dark chocolate peanut butter cups. :)

I'm considering a food safe that only opens once every 24 hours.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yep, when my husband was alive I would have him lock "treats" in the file cabinet, cause I couldn't trust myself to stay out of them. Now if there are cookies around I tell myself" they are not yours to eat" . That usually works. Cookies , etc. are " not food".
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I second (third?) @Christine_72 !

I can't rely on my self control. When my false hunger and cravings take over, it feels like mind control! The only way to avoid it is to keep it out of the house.

I've been known to make late night snack runs or drive through runs in the past, but I'm happy to say it's been years since I did that last. In general, if it's not in the house, I can't eat it. I have pretty strict food rules and thank god my husband plays along. I really feel for people with kids, I know it's more difficult, I don't know how I'd manage.

However, that said, I was a chocolate addict, and I usually have some 90 to 99% chocolate lying around. I enjoy having a nibble with a cup of tea. But I would never overeat it, it's not sweet enough to trigger any cravings for me. It's just not the same eating experience as sugary chocolate, but the nibble is enjoyable enough to feel like a treat.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I, like the others, cannot keep certain foods in the house. And I realized that I cannot make LC sweets either because I will eat way too many of them.

If I do slip up (believe me, it happens), then I don't beat myself up about it. As @wabmester stated, logging it makes me mindful of what I consumed. I keep calm and keto on...and remember that it never generally tastes as good as your mind makes it out to be.
  • Wakey618
    Options
    Thanks. The problem isnt at home, but at work where people have containers of candy for anyone to eat. I honestly thought i could have just a little - I've done it safely before. But i guess i should not even have any. I will log it all when i get home & try not to beat myself up.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think it does get easier over time as you learn to replace the old treats with LCHF treats and your taste buds evolve. I usually just keep things out of the house that I should not eat, but I live with my mother-in-law, who buys a lot junk food. It is getting easier NOT to give into eating junk food. I make sure I have a lot alternative foods. Lots of fat bombs out there as a substitute for my sweet tooth. But for myself I am more over a savory person and I have things like artichoke dip to help with any cravings. A spoonful or two usually helps over the hump. But I will confess every now and then I still give in. But I am resist more as time goes on.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Candy, chips, and anything made with flour is a huge slippery slope for me. When tempted, I've been telling myself: "you're burning fat right now. Do you want to keep that going and get healthy, or do you want to eat this (whatever) and change over to storing fat?" At this point of desperation, it's a pretty simple choice.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    My hubby bought home cheerios and peanut butter oreos cos he knows how much i LOVE them, and guess what I did... :blushing: Evil things i tell you, evil!!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I got stuck on Vanilla Cupcake Goldfish for awhile. Oh gosh, they are the devil!!!
  • Wakey618
    Options
    I was doing so well for a while. Do you think that my recent addition of Atkins bars to my eating has rekindled a sweet craving? I know they have artificial sweetener in them, which I've avoided for years because they may increase my migraines. But it kind of seems that they may be contributing to the problem, but I am not sure.

What are Fat Bombs?
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Last year I had a very strong mindset and NOTHING would make me eat off plan. This year .... not so much. Last year I had a goal of a girls holiday and then seeing my brother and the willpower was amazing! As I am sick of myself going on and off the plan, 3 days ago I stuck a 30 day challenge calendar on my fridge. I will tick off every day and get through the 30 days without cheating, then another 30 days and so on... For me it is very goal orientated :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Wakey618 wrote: »
    I was doing so well for a while. Do you think that my recent addition of Atkins bars to my eating has rekindled a sweet craving? I know they have artificial sweetener in them, which I've avoided for years because they may increase my migraines. But it kind of seems that they may be contributing to the problem, but I am not sure.

What are Fat Bombs?

These are my favourite fat bombs. But once again will power is still needed, as they are so delicious..

http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-diet-peanut-butter-cup-fat-bombs/

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

What are Fat Bombs?

The Atkins bars could have triggered cravings, yes. Maybe your mind felt it was getting sweets and wanted real sugar?

Fat Bombs are dessert type items that are generally made with artificial sweeteners and other items high in fat that are designed to supply a good amount of fat in a small package. Not always necessary if you are getting your fat in whole foods.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The perspective I've taken on such things, especially candy since that was my big problem pre-Keto, is that it's not food for me, in the same way that dog food is not food for me. What I've learned about how sugar affects the brain and the liver and how it can lead to metabolic problems has made me see it as more of a drug or poison so I not only don't want it, I'm kind of disgusted by it! Lol I can't believe that's how I feel about it now but developing that perspective has prevented me from ever being tempted by even my formerly favorite things. I was obsessed with candy a year ago. I hid it all over my house and in my car, and would sneak off to eat it so no one would know! It was terrible! I felt like an addict and I truly believe I was.
  • Wakey618
    Options
    carom wrote: »
    Last year I had a very strong mindset and NOTHING would make me eat off plan. This year .... not so much. Last year I had a goal of a girls holiday and then seeing my brother and the willpower was amazing! As I am sick of myself going on and off the plan, 3 days ago I stuck a 30 day challenge calendar on my fridge. I will tick off every day and get through the 30 days without cheating, then another 30 days and so on... For me it is very goal orientated :)

I like this calendar idea. I'm a very visual person so that may help me.
  • Wakey618
    Options

What are Fat Bombs?

These are my favourite fat bombs. But once again will power is still needed, as they are so delicious..

http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-diet-peanut-butter-cup-fat-bombs/

Those look awesome!!! Thanks - I'll be giving them a try!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    In me, artificial sweeteners do create cravings for more sugar. Come to think of it, that may explain my recent evening post dinner need for a treat!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    BTW I find @Sunny_Bunny_ approach of non food very effective for me. Especially work treats are no longer food.

I went off piste recently to fit in with KL girls trip and mum being here. I do not feel good on higher carbs and it causes failure in my tummy full flag. That letting a few extra carbs and sugars in experiment really gives me greater resolve to stay low carb n healthier.

If skiing down the slope, I need an exit strategy. Realising I am sabotaging or tending towards the uncontrolled black run is the first step. Second is recognising I have a choice to get off. Third is taking time out to feel my emotions and see if there may be an alternate to the next cashew, crisp, chocolate, or other vice of choice. Sometimes distracting myself with exercise, chatting to others or even reading a book helps.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    In work situations where I can't control the food around me, I've found that it helps me to tell people I'm on a diet, or can't eat XYZ right now. By putting it out there to people, it gives me a level of accountability. And if there's someone I'm particularly close with, I'll even ask them to call me out if they catch me grazing on junk food.