Thoughts on cheese and the KETO way of eating

tlblanksfit
tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
Greetings fellow Low Carbers,

I am two weeks in to my Keto WOE and so far I have lost about 2 pounds. I have read stories of people losing a great bit of weight in their first weeks eating Keto. I am trying to figure things out and am looking at whether I should eliminate cheese for now until I start seeing more losses. I have been eating a great bit of cheese, just about every day. Any advice or let me know some of the things you ate or didn't eat during your keto start that you think were instrumental in your weight loss.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I haven't found cheese to be an issue but I know that it is an issue for some others.

As for foods that were instrumental to my weight loss, it wasn't so much certain foods as it was keeping things simple at the very beginning. I didn't want to get too complicated with recipes and ate foods and meals that only involved a handful of ingredients.

There's this one dish that I liked to make at the beginning - it is a chicken breast stuffed with cheese and then wrapped in bacon. It was simple, low carb friendly, and it didn't take too long to make. Not to mention, it had bacon and cheese - my two best friends.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    The satiety:calorie ratio for cheese is pretty low for most people. Also the caloric density combined with the "grab and go" aspect make it reaaalllll easy to blow past any alotted calories you might be considering.
    Cheese is also pretty insulinogenic and can have other possibly detrimental effects:
    http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/10/28/cheese-why-you-cant-quit-it/
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    I ate cheese the whole time. But I took care to not eat more than 3oz a day.

How are those measurements doing? You might be having your clothes fit better even if the scale is being an idiot.

It's so difficult to tell if some food is stalling you.
    Artificial sweeteners can stall some people.
    Dairy can stall some other people.
    Alcohol can stall some people.

Lots of things can possibly stall people.
    I'd personally wait another couple weeks. Week 2 is notorious for seeing the body overcorrect from the loss of water in the first week for some. They call it PISS- Post Induction Stall Syndrome.

So give it a normal go for a couple more weeks. Then try the cheese elimination for a couple weeks if the scale is still being a punk. By 14-days without it, you should start see whether or not it is the culprit, or just your body retaining water unnecessarily to mess with you. Which it does sometimes.

You shouldn't tweak more than every 4 weeks because it takes that long for some changes to take effect. Weightloss is not a linear downward line. The body is more complicated than that unfortunately. There will be up, down, and around blips. Bouncy scale is inevitable.

You've lost a pound a week. And soon you may have a whoosh of water weight when the body decides to stop freaking over the fuel change you've pulled on it.

I know it's frustrating. I've stalled for 3 whole months once. It stank, but the scale finally moved again. Hang in there.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Cheese may or may not be an issue for you. You'll find some that say it is and just as many that say it isn't. I ate a lot! I only started limiting it due to constipation issues that came up that were actually associated with vegetables as it turned out.
    Anyway, go ahead and experiment with it for a few weeks. The experiments are kinda fun! I think focusing on learning how our bodies respond to different things keeps it interesting and like a project! Give it a try and see if anything is different in 2 more weeks.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited May 2016
    Cheese is one of those foods that I have to measure each and every time, just like nuts and whipping cream. It can add up fast! I try to stay under 1 oz of cheese per day. I put 1/2 oz in my salad or eggs, and a 1/2 oz as a snack if I want it (usually, I do!). 1 oz is not much, but hey... I do get to have cheese!! :wink:
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    I have the prepackaged cheese sticks in my frig... for when i feel hangry. They're 1 oz., no measuring involved, plus i eat it like a kid would, by stripping it with my teeth :) so it takes longer to eat and provides some entertainment in the process lol
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I have the prepackaged cheese sticks in my frig... for when i feel hangry. They're 1 oz., no measuring involved, plus i eat it like a kid would, by stripping it with my teeth :) so it takes longer to eat and provides some entertainment in the process lol
    when I was keto in the beginning I always had those and would cut them in half and microwave till crispy and eat with salsa, they were so good
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Hmmm...cheese could possibly used in rehab for heroin/opioid addicts. Now, there would have to be a scientific dose equivalency to convert between potencies for various cheeses as well as accounting for cross tolerance when changing said cheeses just like opiates. Anyone know what the antidote for cheese overdose would be?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Hmmm...cheese could possibly used in rehab for heroin/opioid addicts. Now, there would have to be a scientific dose equivalency to convert between potencies for various cheeses as well as accounting for cross tolerance when changing said cheeses just like opiates. Anyone know what the antidote for cheese overdose would be?

I don't want to know...I am all for a cheese OD. Preferably burrata...
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member

Bacon.
    Bacon is the antidote.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member

I'm pretty sure the antidote for a cheese overdose would be a laxative lol
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member

I'm pretty sure the antidote for a cheese overdose would be a laxative lol
    Yikes, not in my case - it would be Imodium, lol.

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    I love cheese. But you probably figured it out from my name. Because of allergies and intolerances and chewing issues and traveling schedule, it sometimes makes up a pretty good percentage of my day. I haven't noticed too much of an impact on my weight loss though.
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    I heard once that many people loose weight when they stop eating cheese, because they significantly underestimated how much cheese they were eating. This was true for me.

Measure it every time. You could pre portion it to save yourself some time.
  • Treysar
    Treysar Posts: 34 Member
    I seriously have a cheese problem. Starbucks carr es this snack called Moon Cheese. Supposedly 4.5 servings..I eat a bag a day. I can't help myself, it's so good!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    a little cheese is alot of calories. you can eat cheese if you want, as long as you weigh your portions and can fit it into your macros.

I allow myself one 21g slice here and there, but if I were to just snack on it out of the fridge I'd probably easily consume 1000 cals worth in a day without even noticing.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    In the beginning I ate a lot of cheese. Aged swiss slices, shredded parmesan, 4 cheese mix, string cheese, and baby bels. I logged it all and didn't worry how much I ate if it all fit at the end of the day. I lost 4lbs. a week.
    I eat so much less cheese now, mostly just string cheese and the others occasionally. Not for any particular reason, just been SO into sauted vegetables the last few weeks. My weight loss has slowed down, but I'm also about 2 months into this WOE now.