weight loss plateau

Options
tgor33
tgor33 Posts: 6 Member
Any tips for getting through the inevitable weigh loss plateau? I've been losing weight slowly since January, but lately I'm not dropping much, if any. Any tips to get weight loss going again?

Replies

• lilypetitput
    lilypetitput Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same here, I think I'm doing well, as I haven't gained weight back, but now I'm trying bodybuilding.com's shortcut to shred which is weight training and instead of resting between sets you do some form of cardio. It's intense. Hoping this helps, my calorie burning has almost doubled per workout.
    I'd appreciate tips from people who've been through the slump.
  • saramyers2011
    saramyers2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find that if I change my goal so that I can eat about 200 calories more per day for a week or two, I increase my metabolism & begin losing again when I reduce my calories again.
  • tgor33
    Options
    Thanks! Any help is appreciated. I do a lot of walking/hiking/stair climber, but haven't really done any of the weight training. I need to kick it up and start doing that too!
  • KaelaGibbons
    KaelaGibbons Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost over sixty pounds about five years ago. Mostly I kept it off. I did gain back about ten pounds and I fluctuate a lot in that range. Water weight? Anyway, I found that it got harder to lose that last ten pounds and then harder to keep from gaining that ten back. So I'm hoping to lose fifteen to twenty. I didn't feel like I changed anything in my diet but I did stop exercising as much. So now I'm adding that back in five days a week. Some strength building, building muscle burns fat, and some cardio. So hopefully that will do the trick. That plateau is stubborn. I'd be interested in tips as well.
  • tgor33
    Options
    That's awesome, KaelaGibbons, you've been able to keep most of it off! I'm 5'8 and started at 194. I've lost about 20lbs so far, but I've been hovering at my current weight for a while now. I still have a long way to go, but I just need a push!
  • KaelaGibbons
    KaelaGibbons Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done weight training I hear that boosts metabolism. So maybe that's the next step. I'm gonna try it.
  • Ertridoc
    Ertridoc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Adding interval training with slow/fast components in your workouts can help blast through plateaus. For example, walking 3 minutes, running 1, or increasing intensity/pace/incline intermittently on the treadmill, bike or elliptical, etc.
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. HIIT is awesome! Also changing your macros. Sometimes it's not the amount of calories that's the problem, but the %.
    Also maybe look into intermittent fasting.
  • runningmcgee
    runningmcgee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm trying alternate day fasting to try to get past mine. Every other day you have a 500 cal fast, and on the alternate days you eat as you like. I'm only a week into it (and down about 2.5 lbs), so we'll see how sustainable it is longer term.
  • blackeyedone
    blackeyedone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I have plateaued in the past I done two things to break through:

1. Take a look at my BMR to see if I need to adjust my calorie goal again
    2. Adjust my workout routine to something different (e.g. running to swimming)
  • PudgyFellow123
    PudgyFellow123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    tgor33 wrote: »
    Thanks! Any help is appreciated. I do a lot of walking/hiking/stair climber, but haven't really done any of the weight training. I need to kick it up and start doing that too!

Yup, my vote for weight training. Increasing your metabolism will help the burn :)
  • kimmiecookie
    kimmiecookie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found that every so often, you need to take a week off. For me it was 12 weeks "on" and 1 week off. You'd be surprised. Don't go all crazy on the off week, but let your body catch up and adjust. The weight should start coming off again.
  • Xrotarebil
    Xrotarebil Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by walking and lifting small weights. You may find that it's muscle growth that is keeping the scales at that weight. I was in a plateau for a month. Reassess your diet, maybe drop 100 calories, but increase protien (like tuna) and then increase your exercise level a bit more.
  • kevinhparker550
    kevinhparker550 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've heard the reason stuff like The Biggest Loser shows don't work is because it slows the person's metabolism down too much and the workout is too intense for the normal person to maintain. Because of that I avoid fasting days. I want my metabolism to speed up not slow down.

I do a cheat meal once or twice a week. I try to make it mostly a high carb cheat, not too much fat, but last night for my cheat meal I had two slices of meat lover's pizza. So...

Also, I try and eat constantly throughout the day, little bits at a time.