A cardiologist tries keto and ...

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wow! You would think a cardiologist might make the association between his suddenly low blood pressure, low blood volume and sodium...
    Freakin genius!
    I truly wish the term "Keto flu" would die already!
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    he should have logged on here, he wouldn't have failed, and he would have seen how many people have had fantastic results, with heart problems and weight problems, and so many other problems
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I made a comment to his post yesterday about the sodium and it's never shown up on the blog. I even got a confirmation email...
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I made a comment to his post yesterday about the sodium and it's never shown up on the blog. I even got a confirmation email...

& this comes as a shock... :D

Tried a new brand of spicy dill pickles,
    didn't like the pickles, loved the juice.

>:) or o:)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    So, in other work, he didn't really "try". He gave it a few days and gave up.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Aw, I should have copied my response before hitting the "submit" button. I basically said the same thing about the sodium, though.

Did anyone else notice that one of the other issues of his fatigue may have been lack of food in general? The numbers he gives for fat and carbs in his first post only come out to about 1200 calories. If we assume the same amount of protein as fat, that only puts him at 1700 calories. Given that he's male, is at least reasonably active (I assume part of his day is on his feet, and at the very least, he does at least some moderate working out, per his comments), and isn't looking to lose weight, he's probably a good 1000 calories short of his maintenance requirements. And that counts neither the additional 1-200 calories many people "gain" from being keto, nor the extra demands from switching to a new fuel source.

Yet he wonders why he's tired.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've tried moderation, tried eating all those healthy foods and doing it 'the right way, just cut back a little, make healthy choices 90% of the time and the weight will come off' and it just doesn't work for me. This does.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?smid=nytcore-ipad-share&smprod=nytcore-ipad&_r=1

As the Biggest Loser SERIOUS follow up studies shows VL calorie/high exercise diet permanently LOWERS metabolism til you are trapped forever eating burning FEWER calories
    ( 400-800 LESS than anyone else!!! ) and are stuck being hungry and jogging for life.
    (9+ hours per week very active exercise recommended...who can do that??? people working/busy with family or >50 don't have much chance unless crazy dedicated!)

LCHF truly is the only option to that strict diet life that 99% just won't do.

in 2015 I started Jan 1 with an IF regimen, but not low carb, Feb 1 I began traditional Keto/VLC and lost 15 pounds in 2 months, then switched to vegetarian LC <50 carbs,(for kidney health) and dropped another 15 in 2 months.

I am pretty sure it was the change to IF FIRST that helped get over the drop in sugar (and I definitely am addicted to sugar!) NO Keto flu…so I recommend that for newbies to LC.

FAILURE WITH "HEALTHY PLATE" -I did stick to a 1400-1500 USDA higher carb diet with lots of oranges and Cheerios, etc..and after 16 MONTHS had almost ZERO results, so I quit in frustration. Quickly gained because I began eating sugar again… so this WOE can work, and seems to do well for younger people who have not wrecked their bodies with decades of crazy diets.

Going to 1200 calories, sure that will work for loss, but I'd be miserable and hungry even with keto, and possibly mess up my bad metabolism further.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    All of this. Sodium, plus making sure to get adequate potassium and magnesium would have helped him give it a more realistic shot.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Going to 1200 calories, sure that will work for loss, but I'd be miserable and hungry even with keto, and possibly mess up my bad metabolism further.

Honestly, some days I'm sub 1200. Some days I'm sub 1000 if I just don't feel like eating. Then other days I will eat somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 calories because I'm just hungry. It hasn't seemed to impact much, and hopefully eating 'just when hungry' doesn't do much metabolic damage. I read that New York Times article a few days ago, and it really would have been disheartening... if I wasn't losing weight without hunger. Going up to maintenance, even if it is 400 to 800 calories less then what a normal person would burn doesn't seem that daunting when you think of it that way, honestly.

This doctor made it so much more complicated then necessary. Complaining about having to be so meticulous and how even cauliflower put him over his carbs. Apparently he wasn't looking at net carbs, because I'm fairly certain 3 of his 5 cauliflower carbs would have been fiber. Plus... where was the cheese sauce for that? Instead of worrying about his 'keto friendly casserole' he should have just had a big ribeye with butter and lots of salt. =)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Reading this, literally within the first minute of reading I come across the words 'Fanatical devotion' and 'Meticulous' and 'dreaded'. Why does everyone want to paint people who eat low carb as bat *kitten* crazy? Another writer I follow does the same thing, equating paleo diets to religious zealotry and stating that people who follow them are 'fanatical in their devotion to Gary Taubes'. I'm not a fanatic. I'm no where close to a religious zealot. I've tried moderation, tried eating all those healthy foods and doing it 'the right way, just cut back a little, make healthy choices 90% of the time and the weight will come off' and it just doesn't work for me. This does. 2 months and 25 pounds later, and every one of these anti low carb people would say 'oh its because of your calorie restriction, not low carb'. Which is fine, but low carb makes calorie restriction natural, even easy to do, instead of the constant starving -> denial cycle of dieting 'the healthy way'.

Sorry this is a little ranty but I just get so tired of seeing people who eat low carb treated like they are morons who worship at a temple of false science.

2 months and 25lbs! Wow. Good for you. Awesome.