Jogging: Good or Bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for a long time but have recently "slowed the f*** down" after watching a TED talk by a cardiologist that someone had posted under a thread of the same name. I have found the joy in running again. No more pain just enjoyment. I learn so much with this group.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    @60to35 I just watched that. It definitely makes a lot of sense.

I like jogging for mental wellness.
    I was doing HIIT, but switched out. I can see the appeal of utilizing multiple exercise types. I'll probably go back to HIIT after I do my long run in July.

• MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I am so slow people walking their dogs pass me :)

I'm gonna live forever!!!!

Omg, you must be my twin!!! I'm dying over here, but not from jogging!!
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @60to35 I just watched that. It definitely makes a lot of sense.

I like jogging for mental wellness.
    I was doing HIIT, but switched out. I can see the appeal of utilizing multiple exercise types. I'll probably go back to HIIT after I do my long run in July.

Lol...I'm doing couch to 5k (I'm on week 3 of week 2 - at this rate it's going to take 6 months to complete an 8 week program!) - since it's a run then walk cycle, I'm basically doing HIIT...very very pathetically!!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That's great to hear b/c I haven't wanted to give up jogging, and for me 10min/mile is fast. ;) (5k PR was 29:20, and my one 10K was about 1h3m, but I need to get back there. My jogging's been pretty sporadic the past year and a half due to a series of injuries so now I run 11 or 12-minute miles most of the time, when I actually run.)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    That's great to hear b/c I haven't wanted to give up jogging, and for me 10min/mile is fast. ;) (5k PR was 29:20, and my one 10K was about 1h3m, but I need to get back there. My jogging's been pretty sporadic the past year and a half due to a series of injuries so now I run 11 or 12-minute miles most of the time, when I actually run.)

I was just coming to say, "what do they mean 10 min/mi is "slow-average?!?" I'm doing FANTASTIC if I can keep all my miles around 12:30 min! :neutral::smiley: Fortunately I run *(used to run... hope to run again) because I just plain love to run, not because I'm hoping for some awesome benefits. If I never get faster, that's fine - it's not a competition for me it's 100% joy :). "They" say brisk walking is great too but it's just not the same...