Yay to a new support group ☺

Options
Thanks for starting this one up, I hope others also on Optifast will join

Replies

• Officially_Rosey
    Officially_Rosey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd share my story and reason why I'm on Optifast :smiley:
    So I'm not necessarily new to MFP (I joined about 3 yrs back, stopped using the site after a few months then came back just February this year. I decided to installed the app). The reason I'm back on MFP is because I've had to get serious about my health and weight loss. I was diagnosed with diabetes (type 2) and ever since the diagnosis I've been very determined to lose the weight and to get my health in check. So far through calorie-counting on MFP and through exercising (joined a gym, and have PT sessions twice per week) I've lost 10kgs in a little over 2 months.
    Anyway my endocrinologist wants to help me get the diabetes into remission, so I've been put onto the intensive phase of Optifast for a few weeks (and unfortunately have veen strugglibg with a bit of cheat foods here and there, so I keep my diary viewable to hold me accountable). I'm hoping others on Optifast can add me so that we can motivate each other, share recipes if you have any (especially since we are very limited on what we are allowed to eat), plus I want to know how others are managing with the transition from only having shakes and a few veggies, to adding some regular food in as well.
    Even for those who aren't on a VLCD, if you're working on losing 50+ kgs (110lbs and over), feel free to add me :smile:
  • stomsick
    stomsick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How are you doing? I start on Monday! I'm nervous but scared at the same time. I really hope that this jumps starts my metabolism since I think it actually died!!! I would like to lose 110 lbs. Been doing MFP for a while and numbers are not moving......
  • mmclellan50
    mmclellan50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also started Optifast yesterday (5/6/2016). This is my second go around. I was very successful the first time losing 50 lbs. That was in 2012. Unfortunately over the last several years I've put it all back with a few more to spare. Life sort of kind in the way. I'm determined to make it stick this time! I have huge health concerns as well, as my cholesterol and triglycerides are high, and my A1c makes me pre-diabetic. I'm on day 2 and so far so good.
  • emmab852012
    emmab852012 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just started today! I tried it before and lost 50lbs too but cheated often and than quit because I was frustrated with spending money but not loosing. This time around I am serious and need to loose the weight. I also was recently told I am borderline Diabetes so I need to do something about it .
    I am doing just 4 shakes a day . Glad to find this group :)
  • lsg15
    lsg15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I started Optifast through Kaiser on Jan 19,2016 at 223lbs and 5'7". I just finished 17 weeks of Optifast and began transitioning and had my first "real food" meal last night, 3 oz of chicken breast and asparagus for a total of 230 cals. I have battled weight my entire adult life, losing and regaining. After seeing my lab results in Jan and noting that I was prediabetic that was enough to push me to completely committing to this program. I was already on a blood pressure pill. I did not want to be a victim to the effects of diabetes.

I've had 6 Optifast meals/day for a total of 960 cals for the last 17 weeks. I 100% committed to this program. I never once ate off plan. When the delicious smells of food came my way, I just reminded myself of why I was doing this and how I felt when I stepped on the scale each week and saw the progress towards my goal. That was enough motivation for me. I have a husband that I still made meals for from time to time but he and my friends and family have been very supportive. I went out to restaurants and events but planned so that I took the Optifast soup with me or I ate a bar or shake before going and then just enjoyed the company over a glass of diet soda or coffee. I did not want to isolate myself because I know the real world is out there and I needed to learn how to have it in my life and not make my life all about food. I have sat through many nice meals with my friends and family and incorporated my food plan into it and survived and felt good about it.

It comes down to making yourself #1 and remembering that life is just a series of choices and the choices you make effect the outcome. Attending the classes weekly gives support and new friendships. It really helps to share and open up to others. The medical management gives you the real numbers of what your body is doing and is just another way to see your progress.

So, here is where I'm at now. As of 5/10/16 I weighed in at 180 for a total loss of 43 pounds in 17 weeks of full meal replacement products and not straying from plan. I went from a size 18 to nearly a 12. I am happy to say that I am off ALL medication with a normal blood pressure. I just had fasting labs done and I am hoping that the A1c has come down to normal. The doctors seem to think the will.

My goal for activity was 10000 steps per day but you set that yourself and I made that about half the time. Some in my class who had physical difficulty had goals of just getting in 100 more steps than the day before. You set your own goals that are realistic and try to do better each day. Some days you are successful and some days not but you don't stop trying to reach the goal completely. Just start over.

I have had no adverse side effects with Optifast and have used this time to learn about myself. I am not one who enjoys cooking or being in the kitchen so I have had to put lots of thought into how I will plan and prepare meals because eating out and fast food was a staple for me. I have bought an Air Fryer which I just love and it is quick and easy. If I'm cooking it has to be simple. I'm happy with chicken and asparagus for now. Over the next few weeks we will drop a meal replacement and add a "real food" meal at around 250 cals each to start revving up our metabolism to continue to lose weight.

I wish all of you the best on your weight loss plan. Optifast works as do most plans IF you commit 100% and remember why you are doing it, remind yourself of your goal, savor the positive effects and learn from the not so positive effects. Thank you for creating this group. I look forward to being a part of it as I transition into the world of "real food".
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi - started today, hoping I can stick to it this time. I forgot how good these shakes taste! Coffee OF is awesome!
  • Officially_Rosey
    edited May 2016
    Options
    stomsick wrote: »
    How are you doing? I start on Monday! I'm nervous but scared at the same time. I really hope that this jumps starts my metabolism since I think it actually died!!! I would like to lose 110 lbs. Been doing MFP for a while and numbers are not moving......

I stayed on it for about two months and I lost 7kgs in those 8 wks. I most likely would have lost more had I truly stuck to the diet 100% but I'm still quite happy with those results :) It definitely helped me get off the plateau I was on. And as I transitioned back to regular food I had a bad couple of weeks in terms of sugar cravings (was my body missing the shakes?) but I still lost 2 kgs in those weeks funnily enough (even though I'd also increased my calorie-intake), so hopefully that's a sign that my metabolism is not as slow as it used to be :) What I found is that now I'm so used to the low carb veggies I was allowed while on the diet that I've just stuck to them and it's helped me a lot in terms of keeping my blood glucose at regular levels without the need for diabetes medicine. So that's another good result of my Optifast experience.
  • pinayrican82
    pinayrican82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing? I transitioned to food on April 28th. I started in January and lost 30 lbs by March. I have been at the same weight since then. I feel better health wise, but it is frustrating to see that the number on the scale has not gone down.
  • Officially_Rosey
    edited June 2016
    Options
    How's everyone doing? I transitioned to food on April 28th. I started in January and lost 30 lbs by March. I have been at the same weight since then. I feel better health wise, but it is frustrating to see that the number on the scale has not gone down.

I can relate. Initially after transitioning, my weight loss was still going well, but after that month my weight loss has now slowed too :neutral: I guess that's a given seeing that my calories were very low while on Optifast, but I didn't think it would slow down this much!? So atm I'm going to increase my cardio and see if that helps. I tried lowering my calories again but my appetite just wasn't having it (I would keep going over my daily limit) so the next best thing I can do is increase my exercising.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, thanks for starting this group (there's a lot of old Optifast threads on MFP!) I started last week through the University of Michigan. I mentally prepared myself a few weeks before "officially" starting and I think that helped. I struggled the first day getting my meal timing down and enough water. Today is day 5 and I'm getting the hang of things. I look forward to seeing results!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I finished week 1 with a 7 lb weight loss. I realize a good share of it was water but I'm really, really happy to see the scale move! I'm part of an Optifast cohort which really helps and we talk about our challenges and goals. Have a great week everyone!
  • lljb1984
    lljb1984 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've used optimist in the past to great effect, but over the last few years my weight has been all over the place. I went to the new Australian Optifast website and the community is gone, so I thought I'd come here :)
    I'm based in Australia and have started again with the initial plan of 14 weeks to get back under 100kg. My goal weight is 85kg. I have my dairy open and would love to make a couple of friends on this journey, if for no other reason than to keep me honest.
  • mishi6111
    mishi6111 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello. Looks like people aren't very active here but thought I would check in anyway. I have just completed my first month of the program. I have had some ups and downs first sure. 1 week in Florida didn't help my progress ended up gaining 8 lbs. But all said and done I am down 16.1 lbs from starting optifast. 41.6 lbs since the first of the year. My goal for the next month is to buckle down and work toward a weight of 180lbs. Fingers crossed!!
  • mishi6111
    mishi6111 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So how is everyone doing with their weight loss goals? Happy to say I got into One-der land! I still have a decent amount to go to 180 and am not seeing it happening in the time I was hoping for but I guess all we can do is just keep plugging away!