Weekly Post 02.05. - 09.05.16

2»

Replies

• Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    I think that is often a problem when you lose weight too quickly and don't have time to train your brain at the same time. There was a programme some months ago in the UK that looked at the fact that your body will sabotage your weight loss and send out a chemicals to make you crave certain foods. Seems like this might be the case with this programme and I suppose whilst they are involved in the programme they are 'in the zone' to speak.
  • klmcneil1
    klmcneil1 Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2016
    @flossyruby1 I've been really interested in that study, too, and it jives very much with the reading I've been doing lately (The Obesity Code, books about intermittent fasting). I know that MFP is kinda built around it, but I think it's safe to say that the whole Calorie In - Calorie Out theory of weight loss has been completely debunked. Because your resting metabolism is set by your body and is not a "constant" that the MFP calculators would have you think. And your hunger and satiety is controlled largely by your hormones.

@Juliemoo1960 Unfortunately I don't think it's a result of 'too fast' weight loss. They've done studies comparing groups who were made to lose weight fast and those who were made to lose weight slowly, and there was no difference in success rates. Most people in both groups regained the weight. I think calorie-restriction diets just don't work in the long term for the vast majority of people.

Luckily for us, I think fasting is part of the answer. I don't think it works because it lowers your totally calories for the week, but because it regulates your insulin levels. There's still a lot of research that needs to be done (I'm not aware of any long-term studies that have looked at weight loss maintenance in people who lost weight through fasting), but I think the science that's there is pretty convincing.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Hey Flumi you live the life!! I would have most certainly rode myself straight in a ditch while riding a bike after that wine!! :D sounds like a good day for sure!!

Yes I read a little about that article in the news, although I gotta admit I've never seen the show. These contestants were probably not educating themselves enough about the aftermath - sounds like they lost enormous amounts of weight in too short of a time span.... What's that saying... Slow & steady wins the race? Pretty true here.

Gotta chuckle from @dryheatfitness .... You're due for a chill down to the 70's??? We're warming up to the 70's in Vancouver!! B)
  • klmcneil1
    klmcneil1 Posts: 26 Member
    But I originally came here to brag. I've had a couple of 'muh' weeks, with only one fast day and one workout each (and a fair amount of overeating the rest of the time), so I obviously haven't lost more weight. But, I'm on my second fast day for this week, and I just figured out what I'm having for dinner tonight. Because I can eat like half a pound of it on some salad for 250 calories. And because I live in Rhode Island and it's on sale for $5.88/lb today. ;)

nxkjrafugfa5.jpg
  • Juliemoo1960
    Kimcneil1 that dinner looks amazing. Feel free to brag
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    The fourth of 4 days off all with perfect weather and lots of outdoor activities B) . Off for another bike tour and picnic with my new friend. This time in his area....more hills than mine :o

Golf course was fun yesterday. First time ever. Might do a preliminary 4 day course soon.

Fast day and biking to work tomorrow. But first I'm going to enjoy today to its fullest :)

Enjoy your Sunday!
  • Juliemoo1960
    Sounds like it is a fun filled time. Sat in the garden yesterday as the weather is great at the moment here in the UK. Off for an eye test today and maybe some new glasses