Help with Medication

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
Good Morning Everyone!!

So my whole family has been fighting off pneumonia/bronchitis for weeks. My son's meds have been changed twice as well as mine. The ones we are on now are killing our guts. Normally I would eat bread, milk, potatoes etc. to claim my stomach. I have been doing that a little bit but this morning I had a peanut butter sandwich. And I'm feeling bloated and have acid reflex. What kinds of things can I eat with taking my medications so my belly isn't so angry at me. My poor son is only 2.5 years old and I am giving him probiotics to help with his tummy. We are leaving for FL in 7 days and I want to feel good going down there!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I thought that most pneumonia was viral and therefore not treatable with antibiotics? Bronchitis can be sometimes, but only if caught early... I hope someone else has suggestions, because I refuse antibiotics regularly and accept the steriod shots only anymore...
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    This is my go to when I'm feeling under the weather:

http://www.djfoodie.com/Egg-Drop-Soup
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Pneumonia is bacterial, normally. It can begin as a virus (cold symptoms that become bacterial). As far as foods go, it's just finding what helps from your plan. Chicken, or bone, broth (or other types of broth), I like the egg drop soup posted, lots of fluids....this is where "grandma's chicken noodle soup" works best (but, of course, without the noodles).

So sorry your family, and you, have been so sick! :neutral:

Just know that there are different antibiotics for different strains of bacteria, and sometimes they don't pick the right one (especially if a culture hasn't been done). A culture is done by collecting a sample of sputum, then allowing it to grow its bacteria (in a lab). The bacteria that grow will be tested for sensitivity to antibiotics, telling the doctor which antibiotic would work the best. Many times this step is skipped because it takes a couple of days, and doctors would rather go ahead with an antibiotic while you're there. This is where the "practice" of medicine comes in. Then if it doesn't work, they have to change to another. Frustrating, I know!

I hope you all feel better quickly!!
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I got switched to a stronger drug on Monday. I'm feeling better the past few days. Still have an annoying cough but they said that will linger. I've been off track for a few days but I'm ready to get back on it. Also my son is finally feeling better after almost 2 weeks sick. And no loose stools for him today!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Soup, soup, and more soup! It was a lifesaver for me after I had my tubes tied (me and anesthesia don't get along well).

Also, I've found ice water settles my stomach, so try different temperatures of water and see if any help.