Reverse Diabetes?

Luizam25
Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
DO you know of anyone who was really successful in reversing T2 with diet?

There is a lot of literature out there about this but it is very conflicting?

I would like to know if this process is possible.

Thanks,
Luiza

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Dr Taylor here in the UK is in the process of starting a larger study to support his smaller study that suggested that a true reversal is possible. And he isn't trying to sell a book or program, in fact he has published all the details for other doctors and patients to review and try.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    I agree with Shiny. It's control and one huge pasta blowout from super high haha!!
    Still I am one of the lucky ones and there are a few trying to control with diet and exercise. I will have to watch it forever and just on a 3 month trial to see how o do without meds....
    You can live a very good and healthy life if you watch your diet and exercise...with or without meds as your body needs. I can only comment about Type 2.
    Best wishes to you!!
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    I have never heard of a true reversal either. That may be because, in some limited number of patients it is theoretically possible, just extraordinarily difficult.

If someone is diagnosed as type 2 with the further disctinction of being insulin resistant secondary to obesity theoretically if they cease to be obese they should also cease to be diabetic. An opinion I've heard seconded by a couple of docs. Sadly, almost noone who has become sufficiently obese and sedentary to cause diabetes seems to be able to change that soon enough and long term enough to heal the system. Besides, diabetes and insulin resistance are not usually caused by obesity alone.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Luizam25 wrote: »
    DO you know of anyone who was really successful in reversing T2 with diet?

There is a lot of literature out there about this but it is very conflicting?

I would like to know if this process is possible.

Thanks,
    Luiza

Yes!

But the people who've done it have committed to permanent dietary lifestyle changes involving restrictions on both calories and carbs. Not surprisingly, these diets have been accompanied by significant weight loss, and usually an increase in activity, as a result of the reduced consumption.

(I'm not sure it really matters on a day-to-day basis whether it's a cure, reversal, or simply tight control - provided the diet is effective and maintained for the long haul.)
  • Luizam25
    Thanks to all of you for answering. I'll continue to read and try to get better.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    My old supervisor was type 2 for years, high cholesterol, high blood pressure. He joined weight watchers, began walking daily, and one year later is off all meds. He does have to continue his new lifestyle for life, but it's been a year and he's still doing well.

This is my goal!
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    My old supervisor was type 2 for years, high cholesterol, high blood pressure. He joined weight watchers, began walking daily, and one year later is off all meds. He does have to continue his new lifestyle for life, but it's been a year and he's still doing well.

This is my goal!
    Mine too...
  • Luizam25
    mine too...
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Me too.
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    just removed from metformin . i was told i was diabetic and put on it 2 years ago feb. since than 1 have lost roughly 75 pounds and have been non level for more than a year . started at 3 pills per day . so yes it is helped by weight loss and diet . my father did the same thing
  • RalfLott
    just removed from metformin . i was told i was diabetic and put on it 2 years ago feb. since than 1 have lost roughly 75 pounds and have been non level for more than a year . started at 3 pills per day . so yes it is helped by weight loss and diet . my father did the same thing

That's great - you got to it earlly. You can count yourself among the very few who replace Metformin with nothing instead of something else!

Just out of curiosity, have you been testing your blood glucose since you and Metformin broke up?
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    I am even wondering if I was not truly diabetic and just insulin resistant due to my poor diet and being significantly obese. Also, I do eat less carbs than before (I ate tons and tons before), but I don't eat low carbs. I try to stay under 220g per day, sometimes a little over but my blood sugars still remain better than those without diabetes. I have lost ~90lbs to date with more plans to lose more.

First, congrats on your losses!

I wonder too if sometimes doctor's are quick to slap on the diagnosis in order to get treatment rolling when it's not quite diabetic, but insulin resistant as you mentioned. Especially since you experience normal reactions to increased carb intake now. Has your doctor removed the diagnosis from your "current conditions" info? I'm just curious. (I work in life insurance and I know that my diagnosis significantly affects what kind of rates I will get). Again well done and I wish you continued success!
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    edited May 2016
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    I am even wondering if I was not truly diabetic and just insulin resistant due to my poor diet and being significantly obese. Also, I do eat less carbs than before (I ate tons and tons before), but I don't eat low carbs. I try to stay under 220g per day, sometimes a little over but my blood sugars still remain better than those without diabetes. I have lost ~90lbs to date with more plans to lose more.

First, congrats on your losses!

I wonder too if sometimes doctor's are quick to slap on the diagnosis in order to get treatment rolling when it's not quite diabetic, but insulin resistant as you mentioned. Especially since you experience normal reactions to increased carb intake now. Has your doctor removed the diagnosis from your "current conditions" info? I'm just curious. (I work in life insurance and I know that my diagnosis significantly affects what kind of rates I will get). Again well done and I wish you continued success!

Thanks!!!!!.... I would imaging my doctor has it still listed on my medical records, and I'm ok with that. I'm sure most of the patients he treats requires medication and/or insulin and few manage with diet and exercise alone. I think I always have to be aware of my (and my bodys) potential to become diabetic. My doctor is a little less positive about patients managing diabetes for the long term with diet and exercise. One of my goals is to change his thinking in this regards by reversing (or maintaining.... whichever) my diabetes and keeping my blood sugar levels in normal or better than normal range for life. He very much follows diabetic and AHA guidelines... and I just know to keep my blood levels where the need to be and he wont put me on mediations. He did talk about putting me on a statin as my cholesterol is good for a normal person but new guidelines suggest diabetics have higher good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol than even average persons.... however, if he insists on this in the future I may look for a second opinion. The way I look at it is if my blood levels are of a normal (or better than normal) person then why would I need additional precautions against diabetic complications. I understand that diabetes (or even insulin resistance) may have already damaged some organs (even though all my kidney, liver, eye sight, podiatry test have been negative). I know that my blood sugar is not currently damaging anything.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Because of the damage to my pancreas resulting in chronic pancreatitis, I don't think I will ever be non-diabetic again. I still get po'd at the doctor who screwed up the original surgery and left me with less pancreas and type 2, but hey, life goes on.
  • RalfLott
    I was diagnosed t2 diabetic in Feb 2015.... since March 2016, I've been off all diabetes medications as my A1C went from 10.3 to 4.8 with diet and exercise. When I eat carbs now my body does not respond the same way... I get normal blood sugar rise in response to the carbs and it comes back down in a normal time period. No one would be able to tell I'm diabetic without looking at my history. If I went back to eating like crap and put on weight I'm sure the diabetes would return, but I consider myself reversed t2 diabetic. I understand everyone's progression with diabetes is different and everyone's pancreas function is different, so I'm not sure everyone with t2 can reverse their condition, but I believe I did. I am even wondering if I was not truly diabetic and just insulin resistant due to my poor diet and being significantly obese. Also, I do eat less carbs than before (I ate tons and tons before), but I don't eat low carbs. I try to stay under 220g per day, sometimes a little over but my blood sugars still remain better than those without diabetes. I have lost ~90lbs to date with more plans to lose more.

Whew. 90 lbs. makes me tired thinking about.

How much did you need to lose before your BG levels really started coming down?

Nice going!
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    edited May 2016

Thank you. My blood sugar reading were in the normal range about 6 months after starting metformin, eating "healthy" and exercising and at that time I had lost about 40lbs over 10% of my starting weight. Certainly losing weight has been the biggest factor in my success but that is only because of my change of eating lifestyle (no diet!). And I fully believe resistance training is immensely important for managing diabetes as increased muscle mass regulates blood sugar better. So I think you need all three: fat loss, nutrition eating, resistance training. Not everyone can manage with diet and exercise only.... But I believe everyone cam improve the diabetes management SIGNIFICANTLY with diet and exercise.
  • RalfLott
    Thanks for your insights.

No ill effects from the Metformin, I assume.... or were you Jonesing to get off it?

Apparently you don't need it, so either way, adieu!