Exercise calories/carbs etc

Options
kirstie1978
kirstie1978 Posts: 29 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
As we know MFP adjusts the calories etc based on our steps and exercise etc, I'm curious to know who includes these in their daily allowance? I've just done an accidental 10mile walk (catch up at the pub and dog walk turned into dog walk and pub for pit stop!) so figure I don't have to worry quite as much about the fact that I'm a fraction over by 100cals on my base daily allowance today! I dance and guesstimate that at about 200cals a time but try not to include them in my allowance for the day.... just got me thinking if you increase a bit when you exercise or stick to your base daily allowance with macros, so thought I'd ask!

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    If using mfp estimates then be aware that if you genuinely do 60 cals worth of effort mfp will think it is 100. There is a significant mark up comparing calorie estimates off heart reat monitors, fitbits and treadmills gor the number of calories burned an hour per exercise.

I do not include exercise cals in daily allowance unless something like your 10km walk. Well done. Then I will eat if hungry. I try not to exceed 50 or 60 percent of mfp calories burned estimate as I suspect that is closer to true burn rate for me. I compared various burn estimates with mfp to determine that a while ago. Good luck. Happy dog!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    The MFP calorie counts are crazy high!!

I could gain weight eating my calories back

Garmin Vivo active gave me 980 calories for a long bike ride. MFP called it 2200!!

Eating an excess of 1300 calories would cause me to gain weight

The calorie counts are rubbish in MFP
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I wear a fitbit that tracks heart rate and it's linked to mfp so it'll add or subtract calories depending on my activity for the day. I don't consciously eat back the calories, if I'm hungry I will eat till I'm full. Many days when I'm really active I have less of an appetite so I will end up be under on those days. I think your best course of action is to follow your hunger cues, if you are hungry eat something, if you are not hungry don't eat something. It will all balance out over the weeks. Usually after a weekend of lots of activity and larger deficits because of it, I will have a few days where I'm less active and really hungry, but since I still have a good deficit form those days I come out in a good range at the end of the week.

• andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I would have agreed that mfp cals are too high until recently, I'm not sure if they have changed them or if mfp learns what your burn rate is, I've been manually adjusting mine for ages and today mfp & garmin where spot on.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wear a fitbit that tracks heart rate and it's linked to mfp so it'll add or subtract calories depending on my activity for the day. I don't consciously eat back the calories, if I'm hungry I will eat till I'm full. Many days when I'm really active I have less of an appetite so I will end up be under on those days. I think your best course of action is to follow your hunger cues, if you are hungry eat something, if you are not hungry don't eat something. It will all balance out over the weeks. Usually after a weekend of lots of activity and larger deficits because of it, I will have a few days where I'm less active and really hungry, but since I still have a good deficit form those days I come out in a good range at the end of the week.
    Seems like this is a prevalent phenomenon in low carb diets. i tend to feel less hungry on active days and a lot more hungry on non active days... which did not make sense to me.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back, but do add in calories if I exercise more than 1 hour (like long distance hilly bike ride, etc.). Basically my daily calorie macro is set to my losing a reasonable, sustainable amount of weight if I exercise around 45 to 50 minutes most days.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivo active gave me 980 calories for a long bike ride. MFP called it 2200!!

Yeah, I read a few articles, and trainers are saying people constantly (wishful desire) over-rate burned calories!

The various gym machines also give overly positive results too, add in that most of us are sloppy on measuring, or the 40% diff between a 1/4 small or 1/4 arger avocado means far more calories..and in the end less actual loss.

It is not an exact science ( or CICO would work!) so erring to the lower side is best…and honesty. We are not bunsen burners..add heat, burn fuel...

People who think they burned 1000 calories in a 40 min 'spinning class' are nuts.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've often seen it recommended that if you are going to eat back exercise calories, to only eat back half of them, not the full amount. Others on here log their exercise and input only 1 calorie burned so that way you don't see all those extra calories sitting there waiting for you to eat them up.
  • anthophora
    anthophora Posts: 74 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I used to count calories but have stopped. There are a number of reasons. One of which was an interesting paper came out a few months back. The authors found that TEE plateaued relatively quickly with exercise. There was an inverse relationship between TEE and activity intensity.

In other words, once the subjects burned about 200 or so calories, the subjects didn't burn more calories later in the day (it declined). Their bodies reduced other physiological functions to maintain a relatively consistent TEE throughout the day. The predictive figures are below and the study found evidence for the Constrained TEE model. Although, they did find that those with higher BF% did burn slightly more.

Only one study but an interesting and small bit of evidence in favor of not counting exercise calories.

Pontzer et al. 2016. Constrained Total Energy Expenditure and Metabolic Adaptation to Physical Activity in Adult Humans. Current Biology 26:410-417.

q9gwyw486yzw.png
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think one of the biggest things to consider is that you should be entering the time in which you were actually exercising...which is not necessarily constant. For example, if you ride a bike for 30 minutes, how much of that time was actually spent pedaling? How much time was spent pedaling at high intensity vs lower? I do crossfit, which is mostly high intensity, but sometimes I rest. How do I account for that. I know some people that count the entire class time, others just count the WOD. I think both of those approaches were not considered in the development of the Compendium of Physical Activities on which MFP estimates are supposedly based. It specifically cautions:
    Limitations
    When using the Compendium to estimate the energy cost of activities, investigators should remind participants to recall only the time spent in movement. The Compendium was not developed to determine the precise energy cost of physical activity within individuals, but rather to provide a classification system that standardizes the MET intensities of physical activities used in survey research. The values in the Compendium do not estimate the energy cost of physical activity in individuals in ways that account for differences in body mass, adiposity, age, sex, efficiency of movement, geographic and environmental conditions in which the activities are performed. Thus, individual differences in energy expenditure for the same activity can be large and the true energy cost for an individual may or may not be close to the stated mean MET level as presented in the Compendium.
  • kirstie1978
    kirstie1978 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I appreciate the replies. I am aware how in accurate MFP is but wondered about increasing calories/intake on these days or not... But I do also agree about following hunger, although as some might have seen from a previous post I am frequently hungry despite my 20grams of carbs and keeping the other macros within suggested limits etc! It's proving a real challenge!
    I'm not overly worried about loosing a lot of weight as I am not overweight and started this to feel better and curb sugar cravings, but would like to loose a few pounds! Just trying to get an idea of what people do, how to monitor and what is best to do! I wNt to keep my metabolic rate up as I have a low one due to yo yo dieting and a history of not eating at all.... So it's about a balance for me I suppose! Hopefully will all settle soon!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I eat more protein when I have a long workout normally. If I want to eat more carbs, it will be within an hour of exercise, provided I will be at 75% of my HRM for at least 90 minutes.

That has worked pretty well for me. Drinking lots of water also helps to not confuse thirst after an hour or two of sweating outside in the heat with actual hunger!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Seems like this is a prevalent phenomenon in low carb diets. i tend to feel less hungry on active days and a lot more hungry on non active days... which did not make sense to me.

I've noticed this too. I worked outside all day a week ago Saturday and had no hunger at all. It wasn't until we were done for the day that I realized I needed food. M-F I sit at my desk, in my own home, working and I could eat the pantry clean it feels like. I try to eat a big breakfast to help hold me, but it doesn't seem to matter. The first week of Keto, I had NO hunger at all. I miss that week.