Something that helped me lose weight

Options
palak126
palak126 Posts: 30 Member
Just dropping in to let you all know what helped me drop 10lbs out of the 25lbs I've been wanting to lose after my baby was born. Just some background: I've been on 90mg of Armour since 2014. I couldn't make my weight budge up or down regardless of how good or badly I ate. I just didn't get it. I tried all kinds of diets, various exercises, nothing was working to make the scale move.

I read about lchf diet and since I had gestational diabetes while preggo, I thought this could help improve my impending doom of getting diabetes as well as help me lose weight. One of the staples of the diet is coconut oil. I started adding 1 tbsp (you should work up to it, it's rough on your tummy!) into my coffee every morning. I also cut my carbs in half. I immediately started feeling warm. The scale finally started moving down! I am losing 1lb/week currently. I've come to realize our body needs good fats. I don't need to be scared of it or run from it.

It's worth a try. You could also try MCT oil. I am using that now as well as coconut oil but coconut oil got the scale moving.

Hope it helps some of you who are stuck!

Replies

• allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You almost got me there.. Till I read the "I also cut my carbs in half" bit. How much less calories are you eating daily then?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    This thyroid thing is all about finding what is right for you, sharing can be very helpful. I read the top of the group page suggestions which might help and disregarded coconut oil because it is high in salicylate like the often recommended olive oil for cooking and everything. I can't take salicylate at "presumed normal" levels.

Last autumn I started on a yeast reduction regime, no fruit for three weeks while at the same time avoiding added sugar, yeast etc, which I continued for 5 months, all over Christmas well into the new year. This has helped me return to the weight I was before I started on the second use of levo thyroxine, in a place where the only possible Gp treatment is levo. I lost the desire for sugary foods, I can now take them or leave them. I'm able to listen to my hunger or not, I'm not counting calories though I do keep my portions in mind. This is helping me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I also found success with low carb. Initially, it was intended to stabilize BG (fewer and smaller postprandial spikes). I didn't change calories, but cut carbs below 100g / day (usually below 50g). I went from losing basically nothing to losing 2 lbs/week for the first month. I'm almost half-way through the 2nd month and my losses are dropping off to 1/2 lb. per week. So now I'm going to cut calories again.
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've also found success with high fat, low carb diet. I find cutting out fixxy drinks and caffeine has also helped a lot with bloating. I'm loosing approx. 1kg (2.2Ib) per month at moment. Slow and steady.

I also opt for green smoothies in the morning for breakfast. Spinach, cucumber, frozen mango, banana, brazil nuts, chia & flax seeds, topped with coconut water. Keeps me full from 6am-12pm
  • sammyre12
    sammyre12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How can you cut out fruit?....sounds like the 15/6 diet by the cruise guy.
  • christihubbart
    christihubbart Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How do you use coconut oil?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Coconut oil can be used in the same ways as other oils or animal fats. I think it can be an acquired taste. For baking it may take trial and error.
  • evansjune
    evansjune Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What is your carb intake a day? I am trying to do low carb and higher in protein and good fat but I'm not sure where my carb level should be. Thanks
  • Trnava
    Trnava Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How do you use coconut oil?

I love it in my oatmeal, and it's not too coconuty. I don't eat breakfast until midmorning to give my thyroid meds time to kick in, so I make this in a large glass bowl in the microwave at work.

Very approximate amounts: 1/4 to 1/3 cup rolled oats, dashes of salt and cinnamon, 2-3 t chia seeds, heaping T coconut oil, 1-2 T dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, apples) or diced fresh. No extra sweetener. Add hot water and nuke until oats are cooked. Add milk of your choice and nuts and seeds. My favorites are pumpkin seeds and pecans but walnuts and almonds are good, too. I like cinnamony oatmeal but you could use tropical flavors instead. I haven't calculated the carbs, but by adding in the coconut oil, I can go for hours on this meal.
  • sherryat
    sherryat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do LCHF also and its helped me loose 12 pounds so far since December. My goal is 50. I keep my carbs under 20, moderate protein- around 65-80 grams, and high fat (usually around 100g. I stick with good fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, and nuts. As far as fruit... 1/2 cup of berries daily and 1/2 avocado. No added sugars, no processed foods and i've never felt better.
  • Cannonchick
    Cannonchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    please keep an eye on cholesterol and BP, my friends. That much fat can potentially cause more serious problems.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    please keep an eye on cholesterol and BP, my friends. That much fat can potentially cause more serious problems.

Most of us who eat very low carb see an improvement in cholesterol. I was even able to stop taking a statin.
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Oops I have mainly carbs in my diet, some protein. I'm taking a supplement to help with T3 as that's not considered where I live.
    I've lost a fair amount with what I'm doing. It has stopped now, but am at an acceptable weight, not 'ideal' but below the radar.

I'm seeing my Dr in the morning with the express view of addressing my 'thyroid' issue. I say it like that because for 25+years I've been on levo. My take on my problem is I was diagnosed with very high cholesterol 30 years ago and was put on a very restrictive diet, which to some extent I still stick to. The cholesterol problem was sorted within 3 months, I stuck with a no fat, eggs etc diet. I believe by me restricting certain food types actually caused the thyroid problem.

Everyone is different, what works for one doesn't for another. It's a case of understanding your body and what works for you.

Personally I no longer go on cut this or that, reduce, yes, but not cut. That is working for me as I navigate the maze.