Recipes!

Options
1235»

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Pam, I also love your banner! And, like you and Beth love pumpkin anything! Thanks for that mac and cheese recipe!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Mini Egg Muffins

Ingredients

Spring onion as required
    Chopped tomatoes as required
    Onion as required
    Cheese as required
    Green Capsicum (or your favorite herb)
    Fresh coriander (or your favorite herb)
    You can add chicken or other lean meats, spinach, ricotta cheese, bacon, and lots more as per your taste.
    Eggs x 6 - beaten with 2 tbsp milk, black pepper to taste (substitute egg beaters 1.5 cups)

Instructions

-Preheat oven at 200 C (approx 390 F)
    -Grease your mini muffin tin (I'm using muffin liners)
    -Add vegetables of your choice along with cheese (if you choose), pour beaten egg mixture on it.
    -Place muffin pan on the center rack of a preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are light brown, puffy, and the eggs are set.
    -Let muffins cool for a few minutes before removing from the muffin pan or cups. Loosen gently with knife if they seem to be sticking. Eat immediately or let cool completely and store in plastic bag in refrigerator or freezer. The Egg Muffins can be reheated in the microwave.

This is from a facebook friend who lives in Wales

Tried these. They are low carb and we both liked them. Thanks!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    If anyone is trying to limit carbs, I used to make mock potato salad, but used cooked cauliflower in large chunks instead of potatoes. Make sure you use mayonnaise instead of miracle whip (because of the sugar). I would make it just like I would otherwise. Mayo, mustard, celery, onion, eggs. It was delicious and no discernable difference.

Like Gayle's favorite spaghetti squash, cauliflower is a great "carrier" of flavor. I haven't tried the cauliflower crust pizza, but I will vouch for the "potato" salad.

We do the cauliflower potato salad all the time. It is good. I have also done the cauliflower pizza crust. Good but I found that egg and cheese mixed and spread on parchment and baked at 400 F for 12 minutes easier and just as tasty.

I did do a cauliflower lasagna noodle last night and although quite a production with making the cauliflower noodle, making the meat sauce, making the cheese sauce and layering the lasagna then cooking. But then regular lasagna isn't that quick to make either! It was good and really similar to the original.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I tried Hemp Hearts in place of rice tonight and it worked well. I added mushroom, almond slivers and a little veggie broth and just did it in a fry pan.

Hemp hearts are full of poly and mono unsaturated so high good fat and low carb. If anyone is interested, I will look up the nutritional listing for it.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Marney's Zoodles: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/05/27/basic-zucchini-noodles/ Thanks Marney! I bought the vegi noodle maker (can't remember what it's called) but forgot I even had it. Now I will try it!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    low carb recipes I just ran across: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18856280.php
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    I have just one word (which I will say more words about) ZOODLES! I will always love pasta and zoodles (zucchini noodles) means I can have pasta dishes guilt free. I just have the hand spiralizer now but will probably get one of the fancy ones when I can so I can spiralize butternut quash and carrots too. Anyway, just need to spiralize a zucchini (I like it thin) saute some mushrooms, add zoodles and stir fry for a couple of minutes, add your favorite pasta sauce and a fantastic meal in minutes, as they say. http://www.jenastreet.com/2015/01/13-yummy-zoodle-recipes.html
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try a spirolizer. You have me sold.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I saw a Stonefire Artisan Pizza Crust in the store and I decided to try it. I decided I wanted steak and feta for sure. I usually pair steak with bleu cheese, but I have been on a feta kick lately. I decided it would need mushrooms for umami (I seldom cook that I don't add something for umami) and carmelized onion for the little sweet against the salty feta. It was about 300 calories for 1/6 of the pizza. I ate two pieces for each of two nights and left gave two to my son. Seems like a lot of work, but wasn't. Grilled steak on grill pan, sauteed mushrooms in one pan, and onions in another at the same time. Took about as long as for the oven to pre-heat. Here is what I did, although I'm guessing at the measurements:

Steak, Feta, Mushroom, Carmelized Onion Flatbread Pizza

1 Stonefire Artisan Italian Pizza Crust
    8 oz. sirloin. Grilled to medium-rare and sliced thin
    8 oz. package sliced cremini mushrooms, sauteed in 2 T of EVOO
    1 small to medium onion thinly sliced and sauteed until carmelized in 2 T of EVOO
    1/2 container of Buitoni Alfredo Sauce
    1 C shredded skim-milk mozzarella
    1/2 C crumbled feta cheese

Pre-heat oven to whatever the Stonefire package said. I spread the Alfredo Sauce on the crust. Then, mozzarella, steak slices, mushrooms, and onions. I put in the oven directly on rack for crispy crust. About 5 minutes before done, I scattered the feta cheese and put back in oven until finished.

Cut into 6 pieces and enjoy! Was really, really delicious!
    animated-pizza-image-0042.gif
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Alice's Potato Bake
    3 shredded potatoes (or 1 package (20 oz) simply shredz potatoes)
    2 eggs (I use three)
    1 cup 1% milk
    1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (or your favorite cheese)
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    optional: salt and pepper to taste, dash nutmeg
    optional: 12 oz. partially cooked, cooled, pat dried vegetables like brocoli, cauliflower, etc.
    bake at 350 for 60 to 80 minutes, until knife comes out clean.
    289 calories for 1/4 of the quiche.
    289 30 11 16 312 9

speaking of potato crush quiches--here is one with a sweet potato crust:
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/musicvideos/how-to-make-a-sweet-potato-crust-quiche/vp-AAiOfvY
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That recipe sounds good.