Weight Loss: A Patient and Physician’s Perspective

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
Weight Loss: A Patient and Physician’s Perspective

Patient: In 6.5 years since implementing a very low sugar/very low starch approach (from November 2009 to current, May 2016), I have lost over 200 lbs. and kept it off. Thanks to Dr. Westman, I have learned to eat a well-formulated very low sugar/very low starch diet. I enjoy beautiful, fresh foods every day—eating right at or under 20 g total carbs a day, comprised of optimal protein (chicken, beef, poultry, pork, seafood), good fats (olive oil, coconut oil), full-fat dairy (butter, heavy whipping cream, cheeses), eggs (yolks and whites), very low sugar fruits (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries), and non-starchy vegetables (lettuce, kale, spinach, onion, tomatoes, green beans, squash, zucchini, broccoli, bell peppers).

Dr. Westman: I think that the history of difficulty losing weight on typical advice using the high-carbohydrate, low-calorie diets is now understood as a mismatch between the high-carbohydrate approach and the insulin resistance (IR) metabolism of many individuals. While high-carbohydrate, low-calorie diets can work for those who are insulin sensitive, low-carbohydrate diets seem to be more effective for individuals with IR.

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Very good read.

>:) or o:)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    ^^^Agree! Very encouraging, especially for those of us who have tried for decades to lose weight, and now that we know about LCHF are in such a big hurry to get 'er done, but the going is slow! Thank you for posting it, @wabmester.
  • froyseef
    froyseef Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Trying to think of Ketogenic as a lifestyle change...not a diet. No cravings, no cheats so far. Praying to continue ...one day at a time.
    Down 17 lbs and a couple sizes. Feels good!