anyone (non diabetic) using a glucometer to monitor blood sugar effects?

Options
2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=7511.0

This was a self study I found online that helped me to grasp the power of the meter. The bit about coconut oil impact on BG let me understand why my levels are much lower and hour after breakfast then FBG.

My coconut oil experiment has been pretty much a bust - no noticeable effect one way or the other.

I do take metformin before I hit the hay, so perhaps that's the reason mine's not higher to start with when I wake up...
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Been thinking about getting one and now I'm headed to Walmart to get one.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I think the value of coconut oil, etc may vary so much from person to person that about all one can do is a study on themselves. Having a blood meter is great to learn more details.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I would except I hate needles. ;)
    (I had to give myself shots for years for MS. I still really hate them. :tongue: )
  • cenright0
    cenright0 Posts: 80 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think the value of coconut oil, etc may vary so much from person to person that about all one can do is a study on themselves. Having a blood meter is great to learn more details.

So true, I've determined when use mct oil in my coffee I get very anxious and jittery. It has too much of a caffeine like effect on me. When I use a tablespoon of coconut oil it does not have the same effect at all on me.
  • OlSewNSew57
    OlSewNSew57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have become fascinated with BG readings. :) I test at least five or six times a day, even on the alternate fasting days, especially after exercise.

I use an app called MySugr - collects a lot of data and even projects your A1C.

Maybe you could extend your fast later into the morning to see if the dawn effect is what's causing the higher morning reading? The test when I first get up is usually one of the higher readings of the day.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I have become fascinated with BG readings. :) I test at least five or six times a day, even on the alternate fasting days, especially after exercise.

I use an app called MySugr - collects a lot of data and even projects your A1C.

I use MySugr, and pay for the premium so I can PDF it and take it in when I'm going to the doctor. I like that app.