• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Bourbon is good though, right?
  • heybales
    Options
    streblerm wrote: »
    I will try to keep my activity roughly the same.

All this talk of numbers and I forgot that MFP has me at 4840 cal for maintenance. That is with activity level set at max. I only hit 10k steps today and my Fitbit kicked over 1500 activity calories. That is probably about the amount that Fitbit is off since it is showing around 6500 cal daily.

All this stress over numbers and cool technology and it turns out I'm not special after all ;). Hey, if it wasn't for the ridiculous Fitbit numbers I don't think I would be on the EM2WL path today. I would probably be barely eating my BMR and wondering why I felt like crap all the time.

Low steps today. Better get splitting.

And you'd likely be thinking you wasted your money on this device that is wildly inaccurate, and what good will it be.
    Well ok, mildly inaccurate - but you have hit a special set of circumstances to really confuse it, that I haven't seen from others, though it must likely occur.

There, see - you are special after all! ;-)
  • streblerm
    streblerm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't fault the fitbit. It might be innacurate now but I suspect it is still consistent. That is something you can work with.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I love this post - welcome to the EM2WL group!!! please keep updating us on your journey :)
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Its a little strong for me
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »

Its a little strong for me

Ugh, again ^ that was not all I wrote :(
  • streblerm
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I know this is micro...but I hit 18k steps yesterday which added about 600 exercise calories to my day. I ate 5000 cal and MFP is showing an activity adjusted 500 cal deficit. This is without the HRM.

Looking back, 18k step days used to show a range of range of 6500-8000 cal burned depending on activity minutes.

I'm also down .5# from last week at a consistent 5000 cal/day intake.
  • streblerm
    Options
    For the record, I prefer blended Canadian whisky.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I know this is micro...but I hit 18k steps yesterday which added about 600 exercise calories to my day. I ate 5000 cal and MFP is showing an activity adjusted 500 cal deficit. This is without the HRM.

Looking back, 18k step days used to show a range of range of 6500-8000 cal burned depending on activity minutes.

I'm also down .5# from last week at a consistent 5000 cal/day intake.
    For the record, I prefer blended Canadian whisky.

I bet with 5,000 calories you are able to enjoy a bit more whiskey, eh?
  • streblerm
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »

I bet with 5,000 calories you are able to enjoy a bit more whiskey, eh?

As much or more than I want :D

• streblerm
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So it has been almost two weeks since I turned off the HRM and I have been working just off steps. This data comes from the weekly fitbit report

Week of 5/9 which still has a few days of HRM says my daily burn rate was 5218 cal. I ate 4828 daily average for a 2730 deficit for the week and I am down 2#. Steps were 79k but I didn't wear the fitbit on sunday.

Week of 5/16 was totally no HRM. My daily burn rate was 4962 cal and I ate on average 4926 for a 249 deficit for the week and I am down another 2# steps were 116K.

The weight seems to be real as I get on the scale a few times a week and it is staying the same, no wild fluctuations. My diet is fairly consistent too.

Time will tell but it seems that around 5000cal per day may still be below my maintenance TDEE. Great! I feel good, im not hungry all the time and I'm losing weight.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Awesome update!
  • streblerm
    Options
    My guess is that as long as I stay around or slightly below maintenance without the HRM I should probably be at a true deficit.

The "noise" that Fitbit was getting around 90 bpm is eliminated but I'm also not getting credit for the times when my heart rate is truly elevated. As long as I stay active and eat around maintenance I think FB will work for me.

So basically my real deficit is not eating back my true activity. I'm sure I will have to re evaluate this strategy over time but for the moment I am feeling encouraged that it will work.

Time will tell.
  • heybales
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'll bet when you are moving less mass around for like work and more fit - the HR won't be as high - and it won't count as exercise level HR-calorie burn.

And that might just fit in when you get closer to goal and want to lessen the deficit anyway.

So you appear to be at about 20% deficit right now which isn't bad for amount you can lose for healthy weight.

I'd keep eating the around 5000 too even though weight is dropping and therefore TDEE is too.

Obviously at some point you'll need to eat less to keep losing - but that will give chance to lessen deficit slowly and eat at maintenance for a bit - and then recalc and take new deficit that is correct.

Great job getting the calories in to meet the goals, glad to see the improvements.

Any extra time yet for workouts - or busy as usual?
  • streblerm
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No extra workouts yet. My riding mower is broken and I have been push mowing my yard. It takes about 4 hrs. I'm torn about fixing the mower. On one hand it's exercise on the other it's not when you want it. Kind of like shoveling snow.

Funny thing about the push mowing. I keep a pretty good pace and the yard has a bit of a slope and some hills. Fitbit thinks I'm bicycling.
  • heybales
    Options
    I've heard of some wild guesses by the newer Fitbit's like that - that's a new one though.
    That's one big workout - hope you have enough lack of rain to divide it up if desired.

Since wrist worn, and pushing mower, I'll bet it's missing the full impact of your step impacts - then again even if it saw them totally and accurately for distance - it still wouldn't know you were pushing extra weight, so distance would be off.

Kind of like step-based distance up and down hills gets more inaccurate the bigger the grade.

Or wearing a backpack or weighted vest.

Or my Zip on hip seeing the road vibrations on bike ride, bunch of light steps that doesn't match one or both feet going down on pedal stroke, so messed up distance and therefore calorie burn.
    Though my ride today with bad choice of road saw more distance, probably wasn't good for the wheels though hitting seam holes..
  • streblerm
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This time of year it is wet and temps are starting to be in the 55-85 degree range. As the ground starts to warm up I need to mow every 5 days for it to look good and at least every 7 or else it becomes unmanageable. On the 8th day it's mow time, rain or shine.

Usually about mid July it dries up and the higher temps brown out the grass a little bit. I can keep things looking good with 7-10 day mowings.

For now it seems like all I do in my spare time is mow grass or work on lawnmowers.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I just read through all of this and I love it! Especially that you did so much research and then committed to this change for life. I'm a research nerd too and I think I read every single thing about metabolism, fat loss, TDEE etc etc out there before I took the plunge with EM2WL. And that was nearly 4 years ago! No looking back now. You have such a 'can do' positive attitude to trying change too. Can I give you a 'shout out' and quote what incredible changes you have made? I think you would really inspire others to try too.
    ~Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator