do you lose more on a LCHF diet than low fat

Options
2»

Replies

• dgncnc
    dgncnc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    when I did low fat I had to exercise religiously 30 min a day to see the scale budge and I was always hungry. it was manageable but not for the long haul. I did Atkins about 12 years ago with great results and no workouts. That dumb gov't food pyramid is such a lie, it will only make your teeth bad and your body will become so full of inflammation, you just want to eat oreo's to agree with it. Good rich fats are priceless! Keto has been even better than Atkins to me, really easy and I dont have to cook alot. we GRILL!!!
  • dgncnc
    dgncnc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    BTW, my daughter has been a proponent of low fat for years, staunch! She's been loading up on pounds lately and I have convinced her to eat the fat with me. So 5 days in, she's already lost 3 pounds and feels like she has discovered the best secret in the universe. Her clothes are already fitting better. After the headaches and sloughing off of the old glucose, she is realizing that she could be coming up to be the healthiest she's ever been. She too has thyroid troubles. It is related.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I lose on both lower fat low carb and low carb high fat. For me lchf is head and shoulders above on satiety and craving control. Plus I loooove eating that way!
  • clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I've counted calories (or points when I did WW) religiously for years. It's not going to be something I can let go of quickly or easily. But knowing it's not the end of the diet world if I go over 1200 calories (while staying low carb) is a big help!!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    After years of trying, and failing (always regaining anything lost, even after weight loss surgery) with low fat diets, I have found success with LCHF that is blowing me away! The weight loss (fat loss!) has been unbelievable! I've never had results like this with low fat! Plus, with low fat I was always hangry!

Right after my surgery and up until about a year ago I NEVER felt hunger, even when I didn't eat. In this last year or so I started feeling hunger again and I ate when I was hungry which was nearly always. So I gained...a LOT. I went low fat, I went low cal and I could not satisfy my hunger no matter what I did.

The first two weeks on Keto I rarely felt hungry. I've now learned that if I drink a BPC in the morning I can go for hours without hunger or if I drink water the minute I wake up I can go for hours without hunger. And when I do feel hunger? It's because I actually need to eat. I love that feeling!! Sitting here right now, I realized I had my BPC around 9:30 and it's after 1:00 and I'm thinking it's time for a little lunch... not because I think about food all day but because my gut says it's time to eat.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I actually lost at a similar rate on the Dukan diet (low carb/low fat) as on keto. I did notice, though, that I lost a little more belly fat comparatively when I was on keto.
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This is the first WOE, that I really enjoy.

I feel like a million bucks. Losing 3.5 lbs/week and am not suffering or wanting for anything.

I even put whipping cream in my morning coffee.

I'm only eating about 1600 calories/day but you'd never know if you looked at my plates.

I can really see eating this way for the long run.

I only have 18 lbs left before I'll need to up my calories. I've dropped about 80 so far.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    As for loosing faster or slower? I have friends that are full keto and I am just LC (100g/day) I was also IR.

The weight loss for them was faster to start but by 6 months in we are about 6-7 pounds away from each other. I attribute their extra loss from keto to that initial water weight.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I lose and maintain best on veggie based carbs and good quality protein with medium chain triglycerides as my fat.

It isn't just about seeing the scale number go down though

It is easier to build and maintain muscle mass while exercising on a lower carb diet lifestyle. Those sugar calories are empty high octane fuel really only good for energy bursts when needed.

Low carb makes metabolic sense for me. I really don't care what the mainstream diet industry is promoting anyway. I am much more active than the mainstream American and I need the extra protein. All of my calories need to actually bring something to the table

After decades of struggling with weight I have found what works.

A good balanced low carb high fiber diet works!

It has given me my freedom of living and enjoying life as a fit person back.