Take up running they said, it's a cheap form of exercise they said!!

Options
2»

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Hotels, Car Fuel, Car Tires, Pre race Carbo Loading Beer :) - course safety meeting.
    Post race Electrolyte Recovery Beer, Laundry, shoes, mo shoes.
    2016 to date.
    3 HM's Travel + 6 Hotel nights + entry 3 x 500 = $1,500.00
    3 5/10k Travel + 2 Hotel nights + entry 3 x 230 = $ 630.00
    Beer Olympics $ 300.00 YTD Total $ = 2,430.00
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Our local running club is pretty big and puts on a lot of races. Entry is usually really cheap (think $15-25 for a half marathon!), and the beer is way better than at the big races. Members also get 10% off at one of the local running stores. Check out your local running club if you haven't already!

I am due for a new pair or 2 of shoes though...
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Some of the bigger races have expos the day before. I can usually find great deals on shoes and gear at them. Also, my very first pair of running shoes were ASIC Gel Keyano 20's for only $45 at Burlington Coat Factory. Got another pair of NB 860 V3 for about the same price at Burlington Coat Factory like a year later. I every once in a while just walk in and look around the shoe section just in case. I don't always see a deal like that, but every so often I luck out.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Haha! I put 120$ a month in a running account. So, that's 1440$ a year plus the stuff I buy from the shared account, call it an even 2k (maybe 3k with bonus's :blush: ). Not an expensive hobby in my book.

@WhatMeRunning You ain't kidding on the laundry. 3 weeks off and I've not done a fourth of the the laundry in said time. Run days = laundry load.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I need to get some laundry done today so I can run tomorrow! :smile: So several gallons of water, plus soap, oxy-clean, dryer sheet, bunch of electricity....

Sometimes when running I think about the recommended mileage on my shoes and start figuring out the cost per mile. Then if it's a long run I start figuring out how many bucks worth of shoe that one run is costing me. Then if it is long enough I add in some GU costs which is at least a buck/pouch. Then I think about the recovery drink (I use Gatorade and Whey Protein) and cost of the extra food I will eat that day. Then I think about how many times per week I run and start to get this idea for running costs I never realized I was spending just for going out and running.

But, first, I have to get this laundry done and paid for.

I wonder how many uses I am getting out of this washer and dryer??? I did not factor that in before...
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning You must have better blood supply to your brain.

I can not do math and run. I swear my head will explode. The voices start arguing, pushing and shoving for the floor. I fear it'll escalate to someone getting shanked or capped. It's absolutely maddening.

So we'll just look at the pretty flowers.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I probably spend more on gear than I like to think about. Shoes, of course, but I'm also a sucker for trying out fancy supportive moisture-wicking socks or shorts that won't ride up and have the perfect hidden pocket and will still make my butt look cute, and I have a pretty decent collection of water bottle carrying systems (all of which suck and collect dust in the cabinet). And even though my garmin is pretty new, I'm usually eyeing the Next Big Thing in running watches. Plus I keep a gym membership so I can run at lunchtime near the office, and with that in mind, I've been through a few gym bags, in search of the perfect balance of fashion (since I'm carrying it with my nice work clothes!) and function.

All that said, my husband and the other love of his life (his bike) are still about a million times more expensive than my running habit. And that's not even considering the initial cost of the BIKE. I am forever blown away by the number of unidentifiable gadgets he brings home.

I refuse to engage in this laundry discussion. And since we have 7 people living in our house right now, we do so much laundry that I declare the cost of activewear laundry to be statistically insignificant.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I can not do math and run. I swear my head will explode. The voices start arguing, pushing and shoving for the floor. I fear it'll escalate to someone getting shanked or capped. It's absolutely maddening.

Actually, I find I struggle with math a lot more when running. I'm just accustomed to always crunching numbers in my head and find I still do that while running. It's kind of funny because I'll be stuck working on one relatively simple problem in my head for a good mile in some cases due to the strain of running preventing my brain from operating efficiently for math. But I still do it. Odds are I'm way off and think running is way more expensive than it is. I could check right now but I'm afraid to verify if those numbers might actually be correct! :lol: Recently I was trying to figure out something, I think it was on my last half marathon, perhaps trying to estimate my finish time. I had to give up!! I was pushing hard at that point though, pushing for a PR.
  • Elise4270
    Options

Actually, I find I struggle with math a lot more when running. I'm just accustomed to always crunching numbers in my head and find I still do that while running. It's kind of funny because I'll be stuck working on one relatively simple problem in my head for a good mile in some cases due to the strain of running preventing my brain from operating efficiently for math. But I still do it. Odds are I'm way off and think running is way more expensive than it is. I could check right now but I'm afraid to verify if those numbers might actually be correct! :lol: Recently I was trying to figure out something, I think it was on my last half marathon, perhaps trying to estimate my finish time. I had to give up!! I was pushing hard at that point though, pushing for a PR.

Oh I'm so glad it not (necessarily) a reflection of my abilities. I do have a minor in math, through calc 3. Currently, I have no idea how calculus works. Maybe I'll keep at it, run through the multiplication tables or some such nonsense on runs. I put my distance in km, so that should allow a mental work out. We'll call it training.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @JeepHair77 Seven! Holy *kitten*. It's amazing you'd have time to do any laundry.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Glad to know I am not the only one. Being a perpetual number cruncher can be a serious problem when left alone for miles of running with a constant stream of data being fed through my Garmin. But it always cracks me up when I am doing speed work, especially on the treadmill. As my interval speed increases, I lose my ability to work things out in my head and that is when I know I am nearing my threshold!