Macros

Options
MEG924
MEG924 Posts: 37 Member
Wondering if mine are good.. Average this week has been 67% fat, 24% protein, 9% carbs. I eat between 1100 and 1400 calories/day, and my daily calorie burn from excercise is around 500. I don't feel hungry, but I'm not sure if I'm undereating and putting my body under too much stress. I'm not losing as consistently as I'd like but I know that's because I'm close to goal. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The overall macros by % sound okay, but I don't know about the calories. I'm 39, 5'4" female, weighing 255 pounds, and my 1 pound per week loss calories are 1720 BEFORE workouts - so the calories sound low to me, personally. Check your numbers here...

http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

or

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • MEG924
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I tried the link, but it was a bit confusing. I'm 24, 5'4, 159 lbs, 31% body fat. If you (or anyone else) wouldn't mind plugging those numbers in to help me out and explain it a little better, I would be forever grateful! All of this is so confusing to me. :neutral:
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @MEG924
    The following is for sedentary with a 15% deficit of TDEE.

1365 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    25 g Carbs (7%, 100 kcal)
    76 g Protein (22%, 304 kcal)
    107 g Fat (71%, 961 kcal)

The following is for lightly active with a 15% deficit of TDEE.

1528 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    25 g Carbs (7%, 100 kcal)
    76 g Protein (20%, 304 kcal)
    125 g Fat (73%, 1124 kcal)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    1862 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    30 g Net Carbs (6%, 120 kcal)
    88 g Protein (19%, 351 kcal)
    155 g Fat (75%, 1391 kcal)

That is what it gave me with your weight, body fat, 30 grams of carbs a day, and estimating 500 calories of cardio daily, with an average deficit of 20%.

If you're lifting weights, the protein will higher, if you're sedentary, lower. I went for the middle of the range. Does that make senses?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Even for a sedentary person with a more aggressive 20% deficit, the calories are recommended over 1400.
    Here's what I got for that scenario.

1462 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Net Carbs (5%, 80 kcal)
    88 g Protein (24%, 351 kcal)
    115 g Fat (71%, 1031 kcal)

If there are some days that you eat less, it's no big deal, but if you consistently eat very low calories over time, it could be a problem for your long term metabolism.
    Gaining muscle will help a lot in losing the last bit of fat and also for your long term maintenance. You need to eat to make that happen.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    How did we all get different numbers...
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sunny did fully sedentary. I worked in her exercise she said, estimated as 50 minutes of cardio (with a sedentary base), and I also put the approximately 30 grams of carbs. We both used the Ruled.Me link. I could probably look at the different things tweaked and find the differences. And we both changed the protein to .8 instead of .6.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Ah okay.

I used the Ankerl calculator, and used a lower carb amount and a lower protein amount.

Makes sense. Thanks!
  • MEG924
    Options
    Thanks ladies!! Yes, I do lift weights and run. Lately I'm finding it hard to eat more than what I have been, which is why I've mostly stayed under 1300 every day.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    MEG924 wrote: »
    Thanks ladies!! Yes, I do lift weights and run. Lately I'm finding it hard to eat more than what I have been, which is why I've mostly stayed under 1300 every day.

@MEG924 The easiest way to include more fats is to make sure you cook everything in butter, ghee, or coconut oil. Add butter, cheese, etc. to your veggies/eggs. Use extra mayo with bunless burgers. Add cream to your coffee, etc. Most of those are 100 calories at a time, and they can add up if you're needing more fuel.

But if you're eating to satiety, it might not be necessary at this time...if you find that your weight loss or performance in weights suffer, you'll need to tweak. But honestly, if you're lifting weights, you might be recomping while stay a steady weight, but losing inches as you gain muscle.

Do you take pictures and measurements? Because those are the true measures of success...
  • MEG924
    Options
    Yes, with everyone's mention of pics and measurements I do those more often and it definitely helps when I'm frustrated with the scale! I think my body is just taking time to adjust to this weight, it's been over 10 years since I've been this weight. I'm so thankful for all your help and suggestionsI they mean a lot! I'm lucky enough to see a nutritionist but I like to ask questions here before my appointments so I have other peoples opinions/help to compare with what she tell me (if that makes sense).