Hypo and so confused about how to lose

Options
IAmABetterMe
IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
I was diagnosed in 2008. I have steadily gained weight since then and I have tried ever diet under the sun only to gain weight. I think I have totally screwed up knowing what's healthy and what's not thanks to all those diets. So now I am looking for help! How do I figure out what's healthy for me? Gluten free, paleo, vegetarian, high fat low carb ekkkkk I HAVE to lose 40 pounds but I will be happy to lose 20 by September. That's only 5 pounds a month.
Please post how you have been successful.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Hi. This is a difficult one for me, I'm still struggling too. I assume you are hypo and there is no one simple answer. Have you come across the web site Stop the thyroid madness, they have published in book form too. There are other national support sites too which put current scientific findings in the public realm, so we can try to work out how to enable out bodies to work better. There is so much which can impact on any one person, one site says there are 300 possible symptoms, far from the simplistic view of so many medics.

From much reading I have concluded hypothyroidism reduces the metabolism, as does consistent dieting which also probably compromises one's nutrient status (vitamins and minerals as well as good fats for making hormones) increasing activity should kick start the metabolism but if one's adrenal glands are reduced in function this too can be counter productive. Much can depend on the length of time ones thyroid has been compromised or its severity. Sorry its so complicated and comes down to what is right for yourself.

I suggest you decide the meal format you prefer and try, if you are not already, to use minimal processed foods because most of these have more "chemical" or unnecessary additives than you would use were you to make the product in your own home. Added sugar is also put in foods where its not needed. Broadly speaking eliminating unnecessary chemicals stresses your systems. You could also give yourself a couple of weeks at maintenance to get used to food groups if you are not comfortable already with it. (It is possible to set your own food group levels if you wish) Weight loss will "always" be slower when hypo, half a lb a week may be as much as one can achieve once you have decided on your.

Sorry this will be of little help because its too complicated to share all in a short post.
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have Graves disease, was Hyper but had TT in Aug 2013, so I'm now without a thyroid. I'm on Levothyroxine and Lio T3, along with various supplements due to low levels.

Firstly I would recommend having Vitamin levels checked. B12, Folic Acid, Ferritin, Vit D and Calcium. All very important to anyone with a thyroid condition, and some are often so low they could do with a boost.

I've been calorie counting using MyFitnessPal since April 2015. So far I have lost approx. 1kg per month (2.2Ib) - I will discount Christmas :wink: Obvious reasons.

I also purchased a FitBit which I thoroughly recommend. Its been a great motivator to get out and walk more. I've linked it to MFP which means it adds any exercise calories, so you can eat some of those back on top of your daily allowance.

I switched breakfast for Green smoothies Monday-Friday - Lots of Spinach, Banana, Mango, Brazil nuts (great for selenium which aids T4 to T3 conversion), Flax and Chia Seeds and coconut water. This usually keeps me full for a good few hours.
    I also aimed to reduce my carb intake, so cut down on bread and swapped with wraps, and reduced pasta meals. I also stopped eating so much processed foods, and try to cook from scratch using pure forms of products (using proper cream, butter and full fat yoghurts etc)
    I cut out all fizzy drinks. Stopped drinking anything that says "no added sugar" (You don't need more chemicals in your body), reduce my tea intake and swapped some to Peppermint tea which helps bloating.

I also started a running program called Couch to 5k (you can download the app on your phone), and I ended up being able to run 5k after 9 weeks. I now run that 2 or 3 times a week. I also joined my work Gym and attend various classes - mainly dance based ones. They are fun to do but great for burning calories. If you want something low impact, swimming is just as good.

It sounds like a big change but actually it hasn't been too bad, and I've found the more active I become the better I feel.

Hope this helps a bit x
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Hello! I think there are multiple paths to healthy eating in part because we have different needs and various ways of eating can work for some of us but not for others.

A few thoughts - gluten free is not necessary, or helpful, unless you have been diagnosed with Celiac disease. Research evidence is increasingly demonstrating that a high carb, low fat diet is a problem and has contributed to the increasing rates of obesity, diabetes, and insulin resistance and the resulting devastating effects on our health. Like Fuzzipeg, I agree that avoiding/limiting processed foods that contain harmful chemicals, additives, food dyes, etc. is important. Then finding a way of eating that meets your nutritional and calorie needs, and that is sustainable for you in the long term is important. A knowledgeable, trusted doctor and/or nutritionist might be able to help you. Although, many on this site have shared less than helpful and even dangerous dietary advice from some medical professionals.

While, I've had prior success losing weight by eating a generally well-rounded diet using CICO and increasing my level of exercise, over the past year it has not worked because my thyroid is finally totally giving out. I started eating LCHF back in February and it's been a lifesaver for me. Weight has been dropping off despite the fact that I'm averaging about 500 calories more per day (about 1500-1600 calories). When I was focusing on CICO, I was gaining weight while eating about 900-1100 calories despite being 5'6" and doing some exercise most days. Plus, I was ALWAYS hungry. However, the hunger and cravings have disappeared on LCHF. Increased exercise has also helped to curb cravings. That said, I'm currently having gall bladder problems, which is new for me. It may be a coincidence that it's started after several months of LCHF eating but I don't think so. I've decreased my fat a bit and upped my carbs (from about 20 to 50 max.), while the gallbladder issues are being sorted out.

So, long story short, this is what is working for me (I've lost about 50 lbs.) but we are all different. You may have to try different ways of eating and different exercise amounts and types to find what works best for you and what you can stick with in the long term. And, if things change (as it has for me with my thyroid failure), you may need to try new strategies.

Good luck. You can do this!

Barbara
  • bametels
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Deleted double post.
  • bametels
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wow - MFP is really misbehaving - deleting triple post :-(
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I steadily gained weight for years after being diagnosed and having the radioactive iodine treatment (I was slightly hyper but I also had antibodies that were destroying my thyroid so I just helped it along). I blamed my thyroid issue which probably had something to do with it, but so did poor eating habits, grabbing fast food a lot due to busy schedules, grabbing a candy bar at the grocery store to eat on the way home, keeping chips, cake and cookies around, etc. And I tried diets- loads of them which worked and then I would gain it back. Changing the way that I ate and changing it in a way that I could live with forever is what helped me lose it for good. I have no plans to eat any differently than I have been, except adding a few more for maintenance (I met my goal in late March of this year). I did hit a few plateaus and one of the things that I did regarding my thyroid meds is that I starting taking it before bed instead of first thing in the morning. I have made a habit of not eating past about 6:30-7:00 so I believe it is absorbed better. And I just had my TSH level checked and it's below 2 (the level can make a huge difference). For years it was 2.5-3.5 and I couldn't get my doctor to raise my dosage because I was in the "normal" range. I am a small frame and I was told when I was first diagnosed by a nurse, who is also hypothyroid, that I would probably need to be up to 150mg eventually due to my size (this was before I starting packing on weight). Can't get my doctor to agree to that though when I'm in a "healthy" weight range (I was 145 at 5'4", which is healthy, but for me, a small frame, it's a bit heavier than I wanted to be), and also when my levels are "normal". I considered changing doctors but when the weight started dropping again after I started taking it at night that did help.

Other than that- I found that being hypothyroid is still really just about CICO, given that your medication is at a good level for you.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    By the way, I'm now 122 pounds and take 100mcg of levothyroxine.
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ...And I just had my TSH level checked and it's below 2 (the level can make a huge difference). For years it was 2.5-3.5 and I couldn't get my doctor to raise my dosage because I was in the "normal" range. I am a small frame and I was told when I was first diagnosed by a nurse, who is also hypothyroid, that I would probably need to be up to 150mg eventually due to my size (this was before I starting packing on weight). Can't get my doctor to agree to that though when I'm in a "healthy" weight range (I was 145 at 5'4", which is healthy, but for me, a small frame, it's a bit heavier than I wanted to be), and also when my levels are "normal". I considered changing doctors but when the weight started dropping again after I started taking it at night that did help....

This resonates strongly with me - I cannot get any endo to raise my med levels when my TSH is in the "normal range" despite protestations that the "normal range" still feels cruddy to me. The explanation I've gotten is that they don't want to take the risk of me running hyperthyroid with an increased dosage and me being upset with them because of that - I understand not wanting to get sued, but I certainly don't have an inclination to do that whatsoever.

Oh, to have an endo who actually listens to my symptoms rather than just writing them down and ignoring them and medicates based on symptoms and tests, rather than just tests.