so tired and depressed

Options
kennygang
kennygang Posts: 93 Member
I am feeling so unmotivated and exhausted these days. I fell off the band wagon about 2 weeks ago and I can't get myself back on track. I know I feel this way because I went back to my old ways of eating carbs but now I can't get myself past this. I try to plan but don't stick with it. I have no energy to exercise or even cook for that matter. I am just looking for some inspiration to get me back on track,

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The thing that works for me is to set a hard deadline. As of this day, I'm done. I'm back on it. When I set limits to my indulgences and hard limits for my return to reality, it just flips a switch in my brain. Also, I end up relying a bit more on Fat Bombs for getting me hard core back on track when I've been OFF a while or intensely. I consider them a tool that I need to use sometimes.

Also, focus on all the foods that you loved so much and how great you feel when you're on plan - and get gritty with the details! (hugs) And most of all, just give yourself some slack - banish the guilt, but a pound of salami and cheese if you have to until you feel better. And don't add in anything aside from gentle walking until you're back on plan minimum 4-6 weeks...
  • kennygang
    Options
    thanks so much for the great words of wisdom. This is why I love this group and I love salami and cheese so that will be easy to do... LOL
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I love that my Walmart has prepackaged salami with smoked provolone...and prosciutto rolls, and pepperoni, too. Expensive, and easy to recreate. Basically, fall back to the easy basics. Remember why you fell in love with eating this way or how you feel eating this way, and it's easier to get back to things. (hugs)
  • kennygang
    Options
    I am going to Walmart tonight thanks for tip sometimes it's easier to grab prepackaged stiff even though it's easy to recreate
    Hugs back at ya
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    In my store, they are not in the back with lunchmeat, they are in a separate cooler up front between the fruit/veggie section and the deli/hot-n-ready stuff.... They're a little pricey, but worth it. Also, a quick thing is bell peppers smeared with Braunschweiger (I prefer the Kretchmar brand) and sometimes cream cheese, too. Eat with a nice side of fat bomb and glorious! :) Or pepperoni, cheddar, and pickles... Tuna melts (tuna, mayo, salt, pepper), covered with cheese, baked or broiled, served on lettuce leaves or a place... Yup. Yum.
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    @kennygang - I have been there too often to mention. I know eating carbs is all bad for me but when I am bingeing nothing will hold me back until I realise that I am actually just poisoning myself. I start reading about the chances of Alzheimer's and cancers etc and then remind myself I don't want to end up like my mother :) But I agree with @knitormiss, just go and get yourself a load of lchf treats and dispose of all junk carbs. Tell yourself just to start with 5 days, then another, then another etc. After 5 days I will bet you are feeling better and that will keep you going. Good luck :)
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I find that reading the success stories of other LCHF eaters to be very inspirational and motivational when my internal motivation is sagging.
  • MsVino
    MsVino Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I recently did the same for almost a month I was on and of low carb, more off then on and just couldn't work out why I wasn't able to get it together. Finally I worked out that it was my all or nothing attitude. I gave myself a break and said to myself I can not change the decisions I made yesterday only the ones I make today. As Knitormiss suggested simplify it, go back to basics. When we feel deflated and defeated it is hard to find the energy to return straight back to strict low carb. If you can get through a few days of basic low carb eating (salami and cheese or in my case I stuck with eggs, double cream in my teas and coffee and lots of water) you WILL find some momentum and get back on track. That and just remember after binging on carbs for some time you will see those numbers on the scales drop quickly with all the water your body is going to drop while I know this isn't 'weightloss' I find it helps my mentality. Don't doubt yourself, you've done it before you CAN do it again! Best of luck :-)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    You're here! That's an awesome choice to make! Keep making that choice, over and over, and before long you've created a whole new relationship with food where you are the boss!

Great advice above on the food recommendations! Keep the fats up to maintain satiety, and gives you more strength to resist the carbs!
  • kennygang
    Options
    You all are so amazing and so inspiring!! Thank you so very much I am back on track today and I will take it one step at a time.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    kennygang wrote: »
    You all are so amazing and so inspiring!! Thank you so very much I am back on track today and I will take it one step at a time.

Sorry I'm late to this party, but as your friend I have to say I agree with all the above posters and I know for a fact you can get back in the LCHF gear again. All it takes, really, all it takes is to do a low carb breakfast. Just one! Then think to yourself what a waste that yummy breakfast would be if you turned to carbs later in the day. You want that one breakfast to really count so you'll just have to do a low carb lunch. Right? Am I right? And after that, you for sure don't want to mess it up with some silly dinner. Not after the terrific breakfast and awesome lunch. What to do? Oh, what to do? Just one LCHF dinner on that day. Just the one. You certainly can do just the one! Go for it, girl!

There! A whole day and all it took was the one breakfast.

Wait! There's more! After one day of LCHF you certainly don't want to have that go to waste by blowing it the very next day. Again, all it takes is that one breakfast on day two.

Success breads success! Now, get your boody to work on just the next meal. No other promises to yourself than that!
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    what great advice. My biggest thing is getting enough sleep so my mind is strong rather than slightly more vulnerable to cravings, to read the forums so I feel connected and supported, do a decent lchf breakfast, plan meals for the rest of the day, and get to them earlier rather than later, and make sure I make my food at home..
    If I go to late before eating dinner, I find myself hanging out for carbs - of either the tame variety like fruit, or of the no go zone, like bread. So its a yummy, fat filled breakfast - well late breakfast, for me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    FitToLead wrote: »
    what great advice. My biggest thing is getting enough sleep so my mind is strong rather than slightly more vulnerable to cravings, to read the forums so I feel connected and supported, do a decent lchf breakfast, plan meals for the rest of the day, and get to them earlier rather than later, and make sure I make my food at home..
    If I go to late before eating dinner, I find myself hanging out for carbs - of either the tame variety like fruit, or of the no go zone, like bread. So its a yummy, fat filled breakfast - well late breakfast, for me.

@FitToLead ^^^^^^ So much this. If I start the day rested, caffeinated, and hydrated, my whole day starts better than otherwise. And if I fail on the first count, I focus on the rest!
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    FitToLead wrote: »

@FitToLead ^^^^^^ So much this. If I start the day rested, caffeinated, and hydrated, my whole day starts better than otherwise. And if I fail on the first count, I focus on the rest!

Me too on the rested, caffeinated & hydrated. I have proved it to myself this week
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Momentum. Carbs n foods that inflame my body encourage my system to feel sluggish so I crave sugar to get past that. Short spike then crash. Takes me a few days, patience and a little self awareness to create enough discipline to do like folk suggest above and get back to a healthier me. Sleep, walking, yoga, mindfulness and a good laugh also help. If hungry have lchf food available. I can eat too much chicken n green leafy veg when I start back but better that than potato crisps or chocolates. Good luck!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Btw do seek professional help or speak with a caring person if your mind is spiraling down. This Aussie site has some good resources and suggestions:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety-and-depression-checklist-k10

Use that second link if you want to be aware of typical symptoms and assess your level of depression plus hear suggestions what to do about it. Use the language there as search terms for relevant websites for resources closer to home.

BeyondBlue is supported by Australian media personalities who to look at folk would never imagine they suffer from anxiety and/or depression. Their stories are on that site too. A chemical imbalance in our heads can truly impact what we think. Our thought patterns can really screw with how we feel. Can include feeling isolated and alone so sites like above are there to help.

Hugs
    And more hugs!!
    Hugs!!