Spaghetti Squash Bolognese - A family favorite & it's paleo

Options
Spaghetti Squash Bolognese ** my kids LOVE this!!!
prep time 15 min, cooking time 60 min, makes 3-4 servings
* double this recipe if you want it for lunch another day
i love this healthier version of bolognese sauce which is normally made with heavy cream. To keep this dairy free it uses coconut milk instead of cream and it is delicious!

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash
sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons grass fed butter
1 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 stalk of celery, finely diced
1 garlic clove, grated or finely diced
1/2 lb ground veal or beef
1/2 ground pork
4 sliced bacon, chopped
1/2 cup coconut milk
3 ounces tomato paste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise so that two shallow halves remain. Scoop out the sseds and inner portion of the squash and then sprinkle with sea salt & peppper. Place both halves face down on a baking sheet. Roast for 35-45 min until the flesh of the squash becomes translucent in color and the skin begins to soften and easily separate from the “noodles” that make up the inside.

Allow the squash to cool a bit so you can handle it then scoop out the flesh of the inside of the skin ( using a fork- gently scrape it out into a bowl) then set aside until the sauce is finished.

While the squash bakes- make the sauce. In a large skillet over med-high heat melt the butter and saute onions, carrots and celery until they become traslucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.

Add the ground veal, pork and bacon and cook until browned. Once done, drain any grease then add the coconut milk and tomato paste and simmer over med-low heat for 20-30 min or until the sauce is well combined.

Add the sea salt and black pepper to taste before taking the sauce off the heat.

Serve this delicious sauce over the roasted spaghetti squash. ( trust me- you won't want pasta after having squash!)

Replies

• tncp0101
    tncp0101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am looking forward to trying this. :)
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Just got one yesterday. Will try this recipe.
  • semossmoss
    semossmoss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We eat spaghetti squash ALL the time in this house. My fiance is so darn picky, and while I love cooked vegetables and a wide variety of salads, she will only eat raw veggies and Ranch or Caesar style dressings. So there is no real compromise as far as vegetables go.

That being said, she's Italian and a pasta junkie. Baked spaghetti using a homemade tomato sauce, low fat mozzarella, and grated parmesan has become a staple here.

Can't wait to give this a shot!
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Tried a modified recipe with shrimp ...it was sooo yummy. Where has spaghetti squash been all my life.?

Can't wait to mix with potatoes then with regular pasta...and so on.

Im a new fan.