% of Calories or Not, It’s a High-Protein Diet (or it should be)

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
tl;dr: Eat more meat, don't worry about too much protein.

http://coachmikeblogs.com/of-calories-or-not-its-a-high-protein-diet-or-it-should-be/
Lastly, any excess protein not used for muscle, tissue and hormones is burned as fuel, not stored as fat (even when it’s extremely excessive – 4.4g/kg). And overeating it in the first place is extremely difficult. Since unlike carbohydrates and fat, our body knows pretty quickly when we’ve had enough solid protein (and force-feeding is often required to reach an excess).

In other words, people are going to do better (sustainability wise), and look better (buck naked wise), on what they perceive as a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet. Which means consciously choosing to eat more meat, and using butter or coconut oil to cook or flavour with. Not consciously choosing to eat more scoops of butter or coconut oil….

…for breakfast.

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    That was very interesting! I am too new to this WOE to comment on right, wrong or indifferent but all information I receive is helping me to make decisions about how to move forward. I would be lying if I've not thought about the point when the butter and coconut oil will start to clog my arteries and cause an MI but I've also resigned myself that at 6 months I'll have a physical and see if this WOE is harming my cholesterol levels - even at my highest weight my cholesterol levels, lipids, etc. were always very good (luck of the Irish, maybe?). Until I see effects for myself, good, bad and otherwise, I can't say I agree or disagree with much about protein vs. butter.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    That's also interesting. I do the BPC in the mornings to help kick start getting the fat and it keeps me filled til lunch. I've also heard others say exactly what you have about the fat not being harmful. I just have to say that my nurse brain is still wrapping around that - I've spent 30 years learning differently, you know? But I'm open minded enough to give this a solid go and trust the process. Not only have I seen success in many forms just from being here but I have friends who swear by Keto and are doing wonderfully. So far it's working wonderfully for me too! I love meat and was worried I was eating too much because my protein intake was much higher than what my "macros are set for". Of course I know I can change that. I've read - again, consider me uneducated - that the protein will convert in a negative way sometimes so keeping it a little lower is better. That's why the article was interesting - giving me new info to think about and assimilate with other information.

Thanks for the info and the reinforcement!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Thanks @fitgoat interesting article.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That was an interesting article, despite the dig at BPC... I like BPC! LOL ;) And more than I like many fatty cuts of meat. That's just me though.

I do agree that we don't HAVE to hit a fat macro while losing weight. If we don't get enough fat, we can use our own supplies of fat. Stressing that this is a high fat diet can turn some people off the diet, but I think sometimes if we don't stress high fat then people have a hard time getting in their calories. They still may be focusing on skinless chicken breasts, white fish, and low fat dairy products.

I don't want to eat high protein. I don't enjoy meat enough for that. My 20% protein suits me fine. Trying to get to 25% protein was rather difficult and not very enjoyable... Calling my diet low carb and high protein would be wrong.

What is a "high" macro anyways? I tend to consider moderate as 15-25 or 30% for protein. Low protein is <15% and high is... 30 or 35+%?

For fat, I consider >50% as high, 25-50% as moderate, and <20% as low.
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This leaves me feeling confused about protein and keto, as there's so many pages out there warning that keto should be moderate protein not high protein, because of the whole protein being converted to glucose thing. Is there a calculation to estimate at what point you've hit the too much protein-to-glucose conversion phenomenon? I really don't want to be lower than my protein needs either. I always aim to hit a certain amount of protein, and the rest is filled mostly with fat and whatever carbs come along for the ride (aiming to keep them below 25 net).
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ... but maybe this is really just more of a warning to be mindful that you are getting enough protein, and that low-carb/keto is *not* meant to also be low protein?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ... but maybe this is really just more of a warning to be mindful that you are getting enough protein, and that low-carb/keto is *not* meant to also be low protein?

I think that's it. Keto doesn't need to be low protein.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited May 2016
    Options
    [. . .] warning that keto should be moderate protein not high protein, because of the whole protein being converted to glucose thing. Is there a calculation to estimate at what point you've hit the too much protein-to-glucose conversion phenomenon?

This is exactly the problem. There are so many people/places warning about high protein and saying that it will be turned into glucose and/or kick you out of ketosis. There is no calculation to estimate at what point you've hit too much protein, mainly because such a point does not exist (for most people without diabetes--some diabetics are more sensitive to dietary protein). Gluconeogenesis is almost certainly demand-driven and not supply-driven. This means, it will create as much glucose as your body needs, but it won't just randomly create more because there's more protein around. If you have a higher than normal electric bill, you can use extra money you earned to pay it off. If you earn extra money, it doesn't have to go towards the electric bill, if there's no need. Same with protein and glucose. If you need more glucose, extra protein can be used to make it. If you don't need any more glucose, the extra protein won't be used to create more than you need.

There is probably a point where excess protein is turned into glucose just because there's nothing left to do with it. This point is well above normal levels of consumption though. This article mentions 4.4g/kg. That means a 70 kg person (155 pounds) would need to be consuming over 300 grams of pure protein and it still wouldn't show a negative effect. I've hit over 300 grams, but only on days when my calories were also super high (well over 3,000 calories-in). At levels above that, the calories are probably the bigger concern if you're not losing weight.

Now, there is some evidence that you can increase the amount of ketones by limiting protein. That is, you can force the process to down-regulate by supplying an insufficient amount of protein to meet the needs for the body to create glucose from it. People who have been restricting protein and stop restricting it might see a decrease in blood ketones, but it almost certainly won't be enough to kick them out of ketosis. I've hit 160 grams in a single meal, and over 200 grams in a day, and been safely about the 0.5 mmol/L considered to be ketosis. Back when I was testing, I routinely hit 0.9-1.3 on my meter eating unrestricted protein. Some people advocate restricting protein to push the numbers higher (into the 1.5-2.5 mmol/L range), but I am not convinced there is much benefit. You can form your own conclusions about that.

Basically, eating normal meats in normal amounts that approximate your caloric needs/goals, you have no need to worry about excess protein. You're not going to be going high enough to hurt your low carb success.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    What is a "high" macro anyways? I tend to consider moderate as 15-25 or 30% for protein. Low protein is <15% and high is... 30 or 35+%?

For fat, I consider >50% as high, 25-50% as moderate, and <20% as low.

I don't like percentages here. For what I consider "high" protein, it would be grams per kg of body weight. I have a higher limit than most people, and don't consider anything under 3g/kg high. The keto-calculator considers 2g/kg high and 2.2g/kg to be the highest it will recommend. Now, 2.2g/kg could be anywhere from 19% of my calories to 34% of my calories according to that calculator (depending on if I am eating to a deficit or not). And that's sticking with their very conservative values. They basically set it that high because there has been no demonstrated benefit from going higher, not because there has been any demonstrated problems going higher.

Most meat will be around 20-40% protein to fat. If you're adding any butter, fatty sauces, and/or cooking it with fats then it will be lower. Percentages are not the best way to look at it until you have body weight, ideal body weight, and calories figured out.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think that's where all the protein becomes glucose info comes from... In the case of diabetics or anyone with hyperinsulinemia... The demand is higher for glucose because of the over production of insulin. So, on those people, it's better to limit protein while reversing the hyperinsulinemic condition.
    So it is completely demand driven. But, with hyperinsulinemia, the body perceives a higher demand. The insulin resistance will correct itself in time and the insulin production will come down as well. But just like eating fat with carbs can slow a blood sugar spike, eating fatty meats should also help in this case too, I think. Makes sense to me. So, eating a lean chicken breast is more similar to eating a low fat refined carb in that way by my way of thinking... I don't know if that is making sense the way I have it in my head. Lol
  • FIT_Goat
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think that's where all the protein becomes glucose info comes from... In the case of diabetics or anyone with hyperinsulinemia... The demand is higher for glucose because of the over production of insulin. So, on those people, it's better to limit protein while reversing the hyperinsulinemic condition.
    So it is completely demand driven. But, with hyperinsulinemia, the body perceives a higher demand. The insulin resistance will correct itself in time and the insulin production will come down as well. But just like eating fat with carbs can slow a blood sugar spike, eating fatty meats should also help in this case too, I think. Makes sense to me. So, eating a lean chicken breast is more similar to eating a low fat refined carb in that way by my way of thinking... I don't know if that is making sense the way I have it in my head. Lol

You are probably on to something, especially because protein does increase insulin (which is not a negative for most people, by the way, because this helps the amino acids get into muscles) but that increase will be more extreme for some diabetics and will cause their blood sugar to decrease more than it should, which will result in an over-reaction where more glucose is created from protein than was really needed. In any case, diabetics should monitor their blood glucose response to meals and have an idea of how individual foods affect them. I doubt anyone has the expertise to give universal advice to all diabetics. They each need to become their own expert on their own body.

In a way, that's the situation we're all in. We all need to figure out what is best for our own bodies. Everyone has different levels of carb tolerance, protein requirements, etc.

Edit: It is the protein/insulin response that I think causes many of the zero-carb people to stress eating large meals, meals that will ensure you aren't hungry for at least 4-6 hours after you eat them. They don't encourage people eating lots of small meals. I suspect it's because experience has shown that eating that way doesn't give them same results. It's probably because eating that way keeps insulin higher than baseline all day. Eating 2-3 large meals brings the insulin higher than the baseline for a little while, but also provides plenty of time where it's down at the baseline before it rises again.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

You are probably on to something, especially because protein does increase insulin (which is not a negative for most people, by the way, because this helps the amino acids get into muscles) but that increase will be more extreme for some diabetics and will cause their blood sugar to decrease more than it should, which will result in an over-reaction where more glucose is created from protein than was really needed. In any case, diabetics should monitor their blood glucose response to meals and have an idea of how individual foods affect them. I doubt anyone has the expertise to give universal advice to all diabetics. They each need to become their own expert on their own body.

In a way, that's the situation we're all in. We all need to figure out what is best for our own bodies. Everyone has different levels of carb tolerance, protein requirements, etc.

Edit: It is the protein/insulin response that I think causes many of the zero-carb people to stress eating large meals, meals that will ensure you aren't hungry for at least 4-6 hours after you eat them. They don't encourage people eating lots of small meals. I suspect it's because experience has shown that eating that way doesn't give them same results. It's probably because eating that way keeps insulin higher than baseline all day. Eating 2-3 large meals brings the insulin higher than the baseline for a little while, but also provides plenty of time where it's down at the baseline before it rises again.

Unfortunately, as a diabetic, I definitely have to restrict my protein to reasonable levels, I can't chow down on as much as I'd like or could eat. I've eaten low carb for many years and even when eating LCHF, it wasn't until my third and latest attempt (5+ months in now) that I finally reduced the protein and upped the fats a bit more and found that groove I needed to reduce and eventually eliminate my need for insulin injections. Though I will note that I believe I am getting enough protein to fuel my body, even though I could happily eat more, cuz slow cooked meat and seared steaks are just yummy!!

Like you said, I think diabetics should do a lot of self experimentation as our metabolism is very broken and the standard rules don't apply.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Lastly, any excess protein not used for muscle, tissue and hormones is burned as fuel

I don't think protein works that way.

• FIT_Goat
    edited May 2016
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Lastly, any excess protein not used for muscle, tissue and hormones is burned as fuel

I don't think protein works that way.

And what part of that statement would you disagree with? Excess protein is burned as fuel. There is no storage mechanism for protein (outside the tissues already mentioned). Excess protein is converted to forms that can be used as fuel. You may disagree with the conclusions that it won't be stored as fat, but he does cite a study showing that excess doesn't end up as fat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24834017
    CONCLUSIONS:

Consuming 5.5 times the recommended daily allowance of protein has no effect on body composition in resistance-trained individuals who otherwise maintain the same training regimen. This is the first interventional study to demonstrate that consuming a hypercaloric high protein diet does not result in an increase in body fat.

Of course, this is with well trained individuals. The average man on the street might see different results.

And there is another over-feeding study he also references (this one normal weight stable healthy people):
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1103993
    Conclusions Among persons living in a controlled setting, calories alone account for the increase in fat; protein affected energy expenditure and storage of lean body mass, but not body fat storage.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am appreciative of reading this thread. I am insulin resistant, and I often wonder about the amount of protein I should eat, and fat. My liver is a bit taxed at the moment, my naturopath and I are not quite sure why, but he's hesitant for me to eat more fats.. work in progress:)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Excess protein is burned as fuel. There is no storage mechanism for protein (outside the tissues already mentioned). Excess protein is converted to forms that can be used as fuel.

That would be GNG, which would mean it *is* supply driven not demand driven.

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    There's more than one way to burn it. And, even then glucose production seems to progressively increase when the demand is higher than the supply of incoming glucose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22139560
    When protein intake surpasses the physiological needs of amino acids, the excess amino acids are disposed of by three major processes: 1. Increased oxidation, with terminal end products such as CO₂ and ammonia 2. Enhanced ureagenesis i. e. synthesis of urea linked to protein oxidation eliminates the nitrogen radical 3. Gluconeogenesis, i. e. de novo synthesis of glucose. Most of the amino groups of the excess amino acids are converted into urea through the urea cycle, whereas their carbon skeletons are transformed into other intermediates, mostly glucose. This is one of the mechanisms, essential for life, developed by the body to maintain blood glucose within a narrow range, (i. e. glucose homeostasis). It includes the process of gluconeogenesis, i. e. de novo synthesis of glucose from non-glycogenic precursors; in particular certain specific amino acids (for example, alanine), as well as glycerol (derived from fat breakdown) and lactate (derived from muscles). The gluconeogenetic pathway progressively takes over when the supply of glucose from exogenous or endogenous sources (glycogenolysis) becomes insufficient. This process becomes vital during periods of metabolic stress, such as starvation.

This would only be after the ability of the body to use it for lean body mass, hormones, or tissues is exceeded. That ability is not insignificant. The studies (posted before) have shown that a significant amount of the excess can be turned into lean body mass.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Like for the whole BPC ding...sugary drinks : IIFYM :: BPC : Keto/LCHF; it's just a waste of liquid kcals