Replies

• mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »
    _benjammin wrote: »
    How do you manage calluses?

With pride :D

This. I earned every one of them! Mine are smooth though, no rough edges so no problem.
  • haoshencai
    haoshencai Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP on April 28 (5.35 feet; 123 ibs; 27.5 inch waist). I lost 4 ibs in three weeks (I weigh weekly); today, my scale showed a 0.5ib gain (119.5 ibs). My waist, however, shrank another 0.25 inch (now 27 inch/68cm). Should I continue my fitness routine (cardio every day; strength training 2-3 times per week), or make any adjustment? Thank you very much for advising me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    haoshencai wrote: »
    I joined MFP on April 28 (5.35 feet; 123 ibs; 27.5 inch waist). I lost 4 ibs in three weeks (I weigh weekly); today, my scale showed a 0.5ib gain (119.5 ibs). My waist, however, shrank another 0.25 inch (now 27 inch/68cm). Should I continue my fitness routine (cardio every day; strength training 2-3 times per week), or make any adjustment? Thank you very much for advising me.

If it were me I'd give it at least two weeks.

I have my clients weigh in daily and take an average so we can establish a weekly average weight, then we compare changes in the average.

Doing so tends to smooth out day to day fluctuations and give you a better idea of the trend.
  • mrp56839
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I have my clients weigh in daily and take an average so we can establish a weekly average weight, then we compare changes in the average.

Doing so tends to smooth out day to day fluctuations and give you a better idea of the trend.

I do this. When I feel like I'm getting nowhere, I pull up my stats from a month ago and can see that my losses have slowed, but not stopped. It IS a little tough to see -4lbs a month when I was averaging 2-3 a week 6 months ago, but I chalk it up to getting closer to my goal weight.

Goal weight? I'm struggling with the idea of a number lately. I'm still about 15# "overweight" according to my BMI, but I feel good. I look good (I'm taller and pretty proportionate). I'm fit enough to do the things that I originally wanted to do (keep up with my kids at the park, run, ride my bike, etc). I know people are starting where I'm considering stopping, but I kinda like the idea of focusing more on my strength and functional fitness over the summer and less on the stupid scale.

Any advice?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    mrp56839 wrote: »

I do this. When I feel like I'm getting nowhere, I pull up my stats from a month ago and can see that my losses have slowed, but not stopped. It IS a little tough to see -4lbs a month when I was averaging 2-3 a week 6 months ago, but I chalk it up to getting closer to my goal weight.

Goal weight? I'm struggling with the idea of a number lately. I'm still about 15# "overweight" according to my BMI, but I feel good. I look good (I'm taller and pretty proportionate). I'm fit enough to do the things that I originally wanted to do (keep up with my kids at the park, run, ride my bike, etc). I know people are starting where I'm considering stopping, but I kinda like the idea of focusing more on my strength and functional fitness over the summer and less on the stupid scale.

Any advice?

So first of all without knowing you better my advice will be a bit more general and less specific and possibly less accurate but having said that I'd make the following statements:

- You should evaluate how you feel about your body.
    - I think it's usually a great idea to focus on fitness related metrics.
    - However, you can focus on fitness AND still have body composition goals.
    - You could always bring calories to maintenance and change the goal to "don't gain weight". This can be quite helpful and you can always re-evaluate in ~4 weeks or so. You might feel differently about things then.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I set up a DUP program for myself, squatting 3x per week, deadlifting twice, Benching 3x (along with some upper hypertrophy work and decent amount of glute work).

Anyway...my question is about the Squat. I start the week with 5x5, then 6x3, then 4x8. When I stall out on 5x5 how should I adapt? 3x5?

Oh, and if I may ask about the deadlift. I decided to take out the hypertrophy dead lift because I really don't need to be deadlifting 3x per week. Do you think that is the best rep/set range to delete from my programming if I'm going to let one go?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    What are your goals first of all, do you have an idea of intensity or %RM or RPE on those individual days?

How are you progressing from week to week?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What are your goals first of all, do you have an idea of intensity or %RM or RPE on those individual days?

How are you progressing from week to week?

Goals are to get stronger, along with a bit of hypertrophy. Last week I started with 70% of my 1RM for Power (6x3) and Hypertrophy (4x8) sets and 80% of my 1RM for Strength sets.

This is only my second week on the program. Yesterday was my first session for the week and I added 5lbs to all lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, hip thrust), keeping the sets and reps the same as last week. I play to progress this way until I can, then possibly deload.
  • mrp56839
    Options
    mrp56839 wrote: »

Any advice?

So first of all without knowing you better my advice will be a bit more general and less specific and possibly less accurate but having said that I'd make the following statements:

- You should evaluate how you feel about your body.
    - I think it's usually a great idea to focus on fitness related metrics.
    - However, you can focus on fitness AND still have body composition goals.
    - You could always bring calories to maintenance and change the goal to "don't gain weight". This can be quite helpful and you can always re-evaluate in ~4 weeks or so. You might feel differently about things then.

Interesting perspective. Definitely something worth considering.

Thanks! You're always so darn helpful.
  • haoshencai
    Options
    I joined MFP on April 28 (5.35 feet; 123 ibs; 27.5 inch waist). I lost 4 ibs in three weeks (I weigh weekly); today, my scale showed a 0.5ib gain (119.5 ibs). My waist, however, shrank another 0.25 inch (now 27 inch/68.5cm). Should I continue my fitness routine (cardio every day; strength training 2-3 times per week), or make any adjustment? Thank you very much for advising me.

Thank you so much for your insightful advice! A related and pressing question: I will soon start a two-month trip across five countries without access to a scale. Is there an alternative that you would recommend for me to monitor my weight? Should I by all means pack a sewing measuring tape?
    Your general guidance on how to stay fit while traveling would also be greatly appreciated!
  • stringsnthings
    stringsnthings Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm getting into more of a strength training focus with squats, deadlifts and bench. How do you feel about overhead press? It doesn't hurt me but should I do it because the risk of shoulder injury?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I'm getting into more of a strength training focus with squats, deadlifts and bench. How do you feel about overhead press? It doesn't hurt me but should I do it because the risk of shoulder injury?

I think it's not a bad idea to include some form of vertical pressing If anything for general joint health.

• Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    New to weight training here.. still struggling to sever my emotional attachment to the scale after a period of 1-2lb week weight loss. I have been attempting to get into recomp for the last 5 weeks. I realized this morning, even though I haven't seen the scale move more than 1/2 lb in 5 weeks, I've lost 2" on my hips, 1.5" on my waist and almost 1" on my thigh. I also increased my calories from 1200 and have been eating 1500-1600 during that time. I have increased my squat weight +30lb, bench +30lb, OH press +15lb, and my deadlift +40lbs. SO my question is at this point can I consider myself in RECOMP? If I'm increasing muscle strength and mass and still weigh the same I must be losing body fat right?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Kerryatoon wrote: »
    New to weight training here.. still struggling to sever my emotional attachment to the scale after a period of 1-2lb week weight loss. I have been attempting to get into recomp for the last 5 weeks. I realized this morning, even though I haven't seen the scale move more than 1/2 lb in 5 weeks, I've lost 2" on my hips, 1.5" on my waist and almost 1" on my thigh. I also increased my calories from 1200 and have been eating 1500-1600 during that time. I have increased my squat weight +30lb, bench +30lb, OH press +15lb, and my deadlift +40lbs. SO my question is at this point can I consider myself in RECOMP? If I'm increasing muscle strength and mass and still weigh the same I must be losing body fat right?

If you continue to maintain weight and continue to get stronger and add training
    Volume then I would expect that you are recomping.
  • haoshencai
    Options
    Thank you so much for your insightful advice! A related and pressing question: I will soon start a two-month trip across five countries without access to a scale. Is there an alternative that you would recommend for me to monitor my weight? Should I by all means pack a sewing measuring tape?
    Your general guidance on how to stay fit while traveling would also be greatly appreciated!

I am on the third day of my two-month trip. Not only do I have no access to a scale, I also have only intermittent access to internet (that's why I could not even track on the first two days). What would you recommend as training tips for travelers?

• SideSteel
    Options

I am on the third day of my two-month trip. Not only do I have no access to a scale, I also have only intermittent access to internet (that's why I could not even track on the first two days). What would you recommend as training tips for travelers?

Sorry if I missed your first post.

What kind of training do you do when not traveling and what are your goals?
  • haoshencai
    Options
    Thank you for getting back to me! Prior to this trip I had been doing cardio every day and strength training (dumbbells) three times per week for ca. one month. I felt the difference when I carried my 2-month luggage through 3 airports and 2 train stations on the first day of my trip.
    My goal is to build functional strength and lose inches on my waist (currently 27inch).
    Any advice much appreciated!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    27" waist? I haven't seen that since junior high! These days I'm feeling pretty happy with 32"!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Thank you for getting back to me! Prior to this trip I had been doing cardio every day and strength training (dumbbells) three times per week for ca. one month. I felt the difference when I carried my 2-month luggage through 3 airports and 2 train stations on the first day of my trip.
    My goal is to build functional strength and lose inches on my waist (currently 27inch).
    Any advice much appreciated!

First thing I'd do is check to see what available equipment you can access so that you can train the same way you train at home. Many hotels for example have fitness centers, some aren't well equipped but you might be able to find something suitable.

You can check for local gyms in your area to see if you can get a single day pass or a 1-month pass. Some gyms offer that -- the one I was at in Florida last week (vacation) had single day passes for $10. Totally worth it to me, got 3 good sessions in and it was a small but adequately equipped powerlifting gym with 2 cages, a monolift, and a deadlift platform.

Then finally, depending on goals and training experience you could be fine with body-weight based training.

You Are Your Own Gym
    and
    Convict Conditioning

are both decent resources on body-weight training and you might be able to find a pdf copy of those floating around on the internet if you look in the shady places =)

• haoshencai
    Options
    Thank you so much for your detailed guidance. I just read it today since I had no internet in the past few days. It helps a lot!