Post-baby and PND

Options
mcpe29
mcpe29 Posts: 5 Member
Anyone else in the sysk army recently-ish had a baby? My daughter's 8 months old now, "encouraging" things I'd read said to give yourself as long as it took to grow the baby to get back to your pre-baby body. But since that milestones less than a month away and I'm still 10kg heavier and not liking the look of my body, I clearly need to do something different. Because of the demands of taking care of Bridget mostly by myself (my husbands in the navy and away atm) I'm scared to exercise or diet too hard in case I don't have the energy to do everything I need to do with her.
Would love to hear from others in a similar situation, or who have had some success and have tips to share. Also anyone who has/had post natal depression and how you got motivated with that added on top of everything else. The anti depressants I was put on I think made me put on a heap of weight, I've changed pills as of a week ago so waiting to see if they make any difference!
Love to all the sysk-ers, and especially chuck for making the group!!

Replies

• mweiler85
    mweiler85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! My daughter is now almost 2 but I'm in a similar boat. I actually didn't lose a single pound of baby weight (even though I had a 7 pound baby!). I've recently gained 22 pounds on fertility medicines as we try to conceive another child. The best advice I can give you (and myself) is that it's important to take care of yourself so you can (1) better take care of your baby and (2) show her a positive example of how to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I get my workouts in at 5 in the morning so I don't miss out on time with my daughter in order to workout. That works well for me and sets me up for a great day. I'm more likely to eat well if I've worked out. Good luck!
  • mcpe29
    Options
    That's awesome you get up at 5 to work out, go you! What sort of stuff do you do?
  • catmcclelland
    catmcclelland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My son is 2.5.....recentish? Haha. I'm currently about 7 pounds over my pre baby weight which is still about 20-30 pounds overweight (currently 5'4", 178 pounds). I've lost 17 pounds since February. It honestly took me 2 years to really feel like myself again and feel motivated to put ME first for a while. I started with diet changes and then slowly added in workouts. I go to a group class once a week and then I fit in workouts at home about 3-4 nights a week. My advice - start small in whatever ways you can. And don't be hard on yourself. I genuinely think it takes 1-2 years to get back to yourself after baby.
  • mcpe29
    Options
    2 years sounds much more realistic to me :) it's a bit disheartening when legit sources say things like "don't look at celebrity mums, give yourself at least 9 months to get your body back" and I'm over here like she's gonna be 9 months old in 2 weeks, what am I doing wrong?
  • catmcclelland
    catmcclelland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    mcpe29 wrote: »
    2 years sounds much more realistic to me :) it's a bit disheartening when legit sources say things like "don't look at celebrity mums, give yourself at least 9 months to get your body back" and I'm over here like she's gonna be 9 months old in 2 weeks, what am I doing wrong?

You're doing nothing wrong! Its a HUGE life change and I know for me, my son was very needy and unpredictable (as far as sleeping and eating schedule) until about 15-18 months. And if you're doing the majority of the caregiving, you've gotta be so tired! Give it more time. I bet in the next few months you'll be like "alright, I got this!"
  • littlemermaidmaiah
    littlemermaidmaiah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Mcpe29, I feel ya. My husband is in the Marines and currently "home" though his work hours means he rarely sees our 5 month old twins (or me for that matter)...so often I feel overwhelmed! I go to bed when they do at 7pm. It's ridiculously early but if they wake up crying at midnight at least I had a few hours of sleep. I nap on and off in the wee hours and try to get up by 5am to workout. It's rough at first but worth it after you start because it will give you more energy. Eating right also helps energy and health though my problem is snacking too much especially when I am tired! I had to go on meds for postpartum, (the generic form of lexapro) but at a low dose of 20mg I haven't gained weight and it has helped tremendously. Feel free to email me at maiahmiller@gmail.com! I know how hard it easy in those early months especially without help!! xo