What are your most important weight loss tools?

Options
pcvchristine
pcvchristine Posts: 8 Member
For me, the biggest changes I needed to make were around portions. So my most important tools are:

- my food scale: it makes measuring most things super easy. I use it every single day, often several times a day.
- calorie counting app: I used SparkPeople for a long time and that taught me a lot about having a healthier relationship with food. Now I use FitBit for tracking both calories in and out, and I still am liking the results.
- FitBit: tracking my activity and trying to get my steps in every day. It's very motivating.
- My city: I try to get myself every weekend. Sometimes it's just a walk around the neighborhood. I live in DC though so I also can go to the zoo, museums, etc. for free.

Replies

• Lndarden50
    Lndarden50 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would say that my most useful tools are my fitbit and my bento box (so I take a lunch rather than buy from the cafeteria). Good luck with your weight loss journey, PCVChristine!

Also, did you happen to be a Peace Corps Volunteer? If so, awesome!
  • mar922
    mar922 Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I work a desk job so I don't move around much during the day. So for me my biggest tools are:

-the health app on my phone, I use it to make sure I get 10000 steps a day. I had a fit bit but one of my foster puppies ate it :(
    - the my fitness pal app which I link to the health app so I can see calories burned
    - There are lots of indoor tunnels and walk ways around my work and because my allergies are bad this time of year, I take advantage of them to walk at lunch.
  • pcvchristine
    pcvchristine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was a Peace Corps Volunteer :blush:
  • kershner23
    kershner23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Food scale made a world of difference for me. It's eye opening and mind boggling what actual serving sizes are compared to how I used to eat.

My fitbit is the biggest motivation as far as tools or apps. Always keeps me accountable. My daily goal is 20,000 steps, up recently from 16,000, and it's amazing how much a little number on my wrist keeps me moving.

Honestly the most important thing is my support group. My wife and friends. My wife has been running for years, so when I started a few months ago, she was more than willing to help me keep going. My friends actually have joined me in my weight-loss and self improvement journey. A few of us all run together Saturdays and have signed up for multiple races together. A little bit of friendly competition goes a long way towards maximum effort.
  • discnjh
    discnjh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Food scale, Fitbit, MFP. Between those three I know what goes in and what goes in with pretty good accuracy, and once I have that, I'm good to go.
  • Lndarden50
    Lndarden50 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was a Peace Corps Volunteer :blush:

Awesome!!! :love: