IF in the News...

arguablysamson
arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
Just a thread to be available for all on the topic of intermittent fasting. Feel free to post any news finds or buzz you come across...

http://www.thedebrief.co.uk/things-to-do/food-and-drink/intermittent-fasting-20160261986

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Just a thread to be available for all on the topic of intermittent fasting. Feel free to post any news finds or buzz you come across...

http://www.thedebrief.co.uk/things-to-do/food-and-drink/intermittent-fasting-20160261986

I just read the article. I didn't realize the body would go into ketosis during the 23 hours without food on OMAD. I don't know if that's guaranteed or just estimated. Keto sticks are sold, but I've heard they're not accurate. Maybe since it isn't a steady ketosis - after a starchy, fatty, meaty meal for instance- that would explain the absence of the keto flu symptoms? I've never done the keto diet, but once belonged to a discussion group with lots of keto folks and they swore by it. Once the keto flu symptoms had passed, that is.

Eatingacadamey.com has a lot of info on keto stuff. The author there uses the term IFIK. for intermittent fasting / intermittant keto. I believe he says we go into it a little with fasting. You can buy a blood keto meter and it is on my shopping list because I want to know how far I'm getting into it. I believe they are fairly accurate.

I'm not interested in doing a keto diet though (little carbs). I think we were meant to eat fruit and grains.

The website has great info on how the body runs off of keytones and glucose.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Sometimes we can make ketones from the fasting time between dinner and breakfast. Then it stops once the fast is broken. Longer fasts will lead to more ketone production. These ketones are a byproduct of burning fat, so they aren't a bad thing!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    @karlottap definitely agree with you - after 23 hours fasting would be producing at least low level ketones. if you break your fast with low carb food do you think it would still be ketone friendly or would my 20g carb in an hour mean that it would switch me over to glucose for a bit? I don't think I really mind since I care more about the weight loss than ketones, per se, but I know there are lots of health benefits with ketones, so interested in your opinion. Of course, I could test, but I'm lazy that way.
  • blambo61
    I don't know levels that shut off fat metabolism but if I eat something during the day I will sometimes keep it little to no carbs. When evening comes, I purposely eat carbs (mostly complex and mabe a little sugary stuff). I think we were meant to eat grains, fruits, and some of the veg that are higher in carbs. If I was in a strict keto diet, I would worry about long term kidney effects, not getting proper nutrition, and I'm sure my gout issues would be big! Running off of keytones and stored glycogen in the day keeps me from feeling like garbage which is how I feel a couple of hours after I eat sugary stuff in the day. I will eat some sugary stuff in the eve and I don't feel bad effects (probably cause I'm asleep? ).
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.
  • totaloblivia
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I don't know levels that shut off fat metabolism but if I eat something during the day I will sometimes keep it little to no carbs. When evening comes, I purposely eat carbs (mostly complex and mabe a little sugary stuff). I think we were meant to eat grains, fruits, and some of the veg that are higher in carbs. If I was in a strict keto diet, I would worry about long term kidney effects, not getting proper nutrition, and I'm sure my gout issues would be big! Running off of keytones and stored glycogen in the day keeps me from feeling like garbage which is how I feel a couple of hours after I eat sugary stuff in the day. I will eat some sugary stuff in the eve and I don't feel bad effects (probably cause I'm asleep? ).

There's a lot of misinformation about keto. Keto doesn't harm kidneys because it is moderate protein rather than high protein. You definitely get good nutrition, just not what the government says, which IMO is mostly wrong and based on discredited science. But many people do OK on carbs, so everyone should do what is best for them. :)
  • blambo61
    edited March 2016
    Your right about full blown keto restricting protein, my bad. I still think we are meant to eat carbs though and are meant to occasionally get into keto some with an occasional fast. Many religions practice a fast.
  • blambo61

Read that today in the new york times. I forwarded it to a couple of friends.
  • totaloblivia
    Your right about full blown keto restricting protein, my bad. I still think we are meant to eat carbs though and are meant to occasionally get into keto some with an occasional fast. Many religions practice a fast.

I hope to increase carbs a bit from my 20-25g daily goal when I reach maintenance, but still keeping it within the bounds of low carb at about 50g a day. This is because I, like some others, seem to gain weight like crazy when eating a higher level of carbs (and even eating carbs for me under TDEE I can't lose weight well), so I don't see me ever being able to eat the way I used to (toast/cereal at breakfast, sandwiches at lunch, pasta for dinner, candy!!), but would like to have a bit more variety in vegetables as I mostly eat leafy greens, low carb veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini etc and a few berries and of course the mandatory keto vegetables/fruits of avocado, nuts and olives! I do sometimes have a sneaky bit of dark chocolate.

You are completely right that fasting induces ketosis, so to some extent I think everyone on OMAD will be rocking some ketones before they eat their one meal. Anyway, I'm a bit evangelical about keto so I'll shut up now - I know it doesn't suit everyone, but it's been so helpful to me that I get a bit noisy about it!!! Hope I don't offend you and wishing you well @blambo61
  • blambo61

I hope to increase carbs a bit from my 20-25g daily goal when I reach maintenance, but still keeping it within the bounds of low carb at about 50g a day. This is because I, like some others, seem to gain weight like crazy when eating a higher level of carbs (and even eating carbs for me under TDEE I can't lose weight well), so I don't see me ever being able to eat the way I used to (toast/cereal at breakfast, sandwiches at lunch, pasta for dinner, candy!!), but would like to have a bit more variety in vegetables as I mostly eat leafy greens, low carb veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini etc and a few berries and of course the mandatory keto vegetables/fruits of avocado, nuts and olives! I do sometimes have a sneaky bit of dark chocolate.

You are completely right that fasting induces ketosis, so to some extent I think everyone on OMAD will be rocking some ketones before they eat their one meal. Anyway, I'm a bit evangelical about keto so I'll shut up now - I know it doesn't suit everyone, but it's been so helpful to me that I get a bit noisy about it!!! Hope I don't offend you and wishing you well @blambo61

I appreciate your insight and that helps me learn. I did not feel offended at all and want to hear what you have to say. I've come up with a philosophy from some reading that I'm leaning to and that is I think it might be good to go very light on carbs and promote ketosis during the day and then in the evenings we eat the carbs. I think that will promote fat burning somewhat during the day even though would be kicked out of the little ketosis your in each evening. That is basically what I'm doing by doing a 21:3 with my eating (no carbs in the day and allowed at night-even sugary stuff). I would like to get a keytone bloid meter to see what is happening. I've read people recommending doing this evening carb reset to keep the body from slowing down the metabolism. Whether that happens or not, I do get to enjoy carbs with what I'm doing and even have some sugary treats. Everyone is a little different and have to figure out what works for us. Low to no carbs in the day and carbs in the evening works for me and might work for others. Good luck!